Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
rvjimmy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Almond, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,455
Dadeaux would that make fuel mileage in miles per bale.
__________________

__________________
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Berg View Post
I looked it up, the correct term is coach if it is 36 feet six inches in length or longer.

ALL RIGHT!!!! That means I have a coach (mine is 38'), now I know what to
call it when I go camping..... errr.... I mean when I go "coaching"....


We just call it "the motorhome" or "the camper".

.
__________________

__________________
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kitts Hill, OH
Posts: 1,863
Other than the obvious (any thing with the prevost name is a coach) and anything on a E350 chassis is not.

When you look a t a vehicle and can't tell. THe seller or company that build it will say coach because it means more Money.
__________________
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
bcbrowne's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bloomsdale Missouri
Posts: 104
My 3 year old grandaughter love traveling in the "school bus" as she calls it.
__________________
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Any motor home (any size, Class A, C, whatever) is a coach to me. I find the idea of the 36' cutoff funny! I suppose that could go back to all the time I spent working on them at a dealer when I was younger? For sure though, when somebody says "camper" the thought of a motor home won't even register. Camper's have canvas on them to keep the weather out, or they fit in the back of a PU?
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 852
Go try and camp at a Motorcoach Resort with your 86 Winny Brave and you will find out real quick what the difference is. That being said, I still think they are all RV's.
__________________
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Go try and camp at a Motorcoach Resort with your 86 Winny Brave and you will find out real quick what the difference is. That being said, I still think they are all RV's.
I agree. Saying coach on anything short of Prevost, Newell etc. is just daydreaming and to me, it would make me a bit of a braggart. Mine is an RV period.
__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
When one is trying to "IMPRESS" the novice with a "look at me and what I have" moment. The rest of us know down deep it's a camper.
Hmmm.... perhaps to some. But I'd feel strange calling mine a "camper" when, IMHO, I've not spent a single night "camping" in it.

Hooked up to 100 amps of available shore power, sewer connection, unlimited soft water, internet service to a wireless router (feeding three laptops) which is independent of the CG facilities, stove, microwave, instant hot water dispenser for tea and coffee, refrigerator, hundreds of channels of high definition satellite TV available via a DVR which feeds three flat screen TV's, surround sound, stereos inside and out, air conditioning, five sources of internal space heating... and a fireplace... I'd feel kind of funny sitting around a campfire with the folks from the tent in the next site saying "isn't camping great?" But, sometimes it's a no win situation and people take shots from both directions.... saying: "THAT's NOT CAMPING"... or "THAT's NOT a COACH". Such is life I guess.

We don't "camp". We travel, and use CG facilities along the way. I used to camp and really enjoyed it, but now I enjoy doing whatever it is we're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrowne View Post
My 3 year old grandaughter love traveling in the "school bus" as she calls it.
The license plate frames I had made say "Papa's Bus" because that's what my grandson called it when he first saw it at 3 years old.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hmmm.... perhaps to some. But I'd feel strange calling mine a "camper" when, IMHO, I've not spent a single night "camping" in it.

Hooked up to 100 amps of available shore power, sewer connection, unlimited soft water, internet service to a wireless router (feeding three laptops) which is independent of the CG facilities, stove, microwave, instant hot water dispenser for tea and coffee, refrigerator, hundreds of channels of high definition satellite TV available via a DVR which feeds three flat screen TV's, surround sound, stereos inside and out, air conditioning, five sources of internal space heating... and a fireplace... I'd feel kind of funny sitting around a campfire with the folks from the tent in the next site saying "isn't camping great?" But, sometimes it's a no win situation and people take shots from both directions.... saying: "THAT's NOT CAMPING"... or "THAT's NOT a COACH". Such is life I guess.

We don't "camp". We travel, and use CG facilities along the way. I used to camp and really enjoyed it, but now I enjoy doing whatever it is we're doing.



The license plate frames I had made say "Papa's Bus" because that's what my grandson called it when he first saw it at 3 years old.

Rick
I see your point. Guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream. When making reservations I just call mine a Class A RV, just in case they get heavy handed on the rates.
__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
I see your point. Guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
And all those other great flavors too.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cold Spring , Minnesota
Posts: 255
I have a letter dated April 9 and postmarked April 10, 1952 from L. M. Oltman, President of TOUR-HOMES, Inc. Bristol, Indiana. Phone 84.

The picture of his "Tour Home" looks like a 1950s city bus from the front and the rear a trailer home of the same era with the slanted back. The prices quoted are $10,000.00 to $15,00.00 depending on options. "The Chevrolet motor does an excellent job, but for the real ultimate in touring, the new Chrysler V-8 or the Cadillac power plant gives you everything you could desire in speed and comfort."
Dwight
__________________
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Alan24601's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 498
You can charge more when you have clients instead of customers, probably the same for coach versus motorhome. ;>}
__________________
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Saying coach on anything short of Prevost, Newell etc. is just daydreaming and to me, it would make me a bit of a braggart. Mine is an RV period.
Really, a braggart? In the 40 or so years I've been around motor homes, and calling them all "coaches" I don't ever remember getting the impression anyone I was speaking with thought that term might be offensive in any way, or that I was coming across as a braggart? I sure don't take it that way when I hear the word used in a conversation. It's just another way of saying RV or motor home?

Is it possible the term could have different meanings on a regional basis?

-Al
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Really, a braggart? In the 40 or so years I've been around motor homes, and calling them all "coaches" I don't ever remember getting the impression anyone I was speaking with thought that term might be offensive in any way, or that I was coming across as a braggart? I sure don't take it that way when I hear the word used in a conversation. It's just another way of saying RV or motor home?

Is it possible the term could have different meanings on a regional basis?

-Al
Nope , and let us remember that braggarts usually enjoy the company of other braggarts. Did I call you a braggart? I simply stated that I would feel like a braggart. Or, has it come to the point that another member is now going to tell me how I feel? And yes, You own an RV. As stated earlier, we don't go COACHING, we go RVing. I can see the advertisement now " ENJOY THE OUTDOORS, GO COACHING WITH YOUR FAMILY THIS WEEKEND" Presented by the National Coaching Association. Oh, I forgot to add "MOTORCOACHING IS A NATIONAL PASTIME".
__________________

__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.