Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
X3 ya all...........

2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Come on, its always about the money.

Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's right, it is always about the money. We bought an 11 year old unit fully expecting to keep it at least 10 years.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
I drive a 1987 fiero. I live in Wisconsin it starts every winter. It does not rust. I keep up the maintenance on it. Yes I have replaced lots of things on it but I have no monthly car payments. I pick up my friends when there new cars are not running. I have had more positive comments on it and been asked by many if they could buy it. Sure a Corvette is faster but at 62 my fast days are over. I also have a 1986 GMC Van that runs fine. And I now have a 1989 motorhome. And I as I said have no monthly car payments. Everything on my motorhome works great but the Engine AC, the roof AC works great. On the money I saved by not buying new I can spend on new tires and other toys for it I just added a thrid AMG battery and am adding solar and lots more. I love my old Motorhome. I do not need slide outs as is just me and one friend most of the time. And with my disability having everything close is great. If I was rich I still would keep my Mallard. And for example when the engine gets older I will have it rebuilt or replaced. I have not monthly payments for anything and that in its self is real freedom. Peace
Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
ok let's go back to basics. are you a mechanic, can you work on things? if you are then you know a good deal. and if you're not and can't, then by all means buy as new as you can. the short and sweet.....
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Regular maintenance and common sense will make ANYthing last as long as you want it to.
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Absolutely agree with all those that said this discussion is pointless if not talking about the money. Sure there might be a few that want a classic 60s or 70s bus because they like the retro style but the vast majority (I wouldn't hesitate to say 99%) of people with older motor homes have them because of the money (whether it's because it's all they CAN afford or all the WANT to pay is the part that's not important).

We currently have a 98 and I'm in the process or replacing it with an 03. We got the 98 about 4 years ago and I just got the 03 now because there were the right price. If I could have gotten a comparable 08 instead of the 03 for the same amount of money, I would most likely have gotten that but that wasn't an option. I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could have stretched our budget and gotten a newer one but for us, it just doesn't make sense. We use the motor home maybe 75 nights / year and we wouldn't get that much more out of a newer one but we'd take a lot more of a depreciation hit.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
If you feel your cars are used up at 10 yrs, you need to learn a thing or two about preventative maintainence. If you care for your coach the same way, yep its a heap by 15 yrs.

We sold our 22 yr old Bounder in fully working condition and were still using it regularly. Plan to keep the new coach just as long.

My pickup is 12 yrs old and in fine shape. No intent to replace for at least 10 more years.

Take better care of your equipment and it will last longer.
38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
WELL GREAT - since "money" is NOT the issue, I'll just step up to the latest, greatest, and most expensive rig available - no need to even DISCUSS the "older" stuff...

NOW, with THAT ridiculous limitation out of the way, I sincerely believe OUR 24 year old '88 Winnie Super Chief is easily as reliable as ANY of the new stuff out there - far less exotic as to bells and whistles - all the fancy electronic stuff that fails, and can be VERY hard to find qualified repairmen to fix - no slides or automatic levelers to jam or malfunction, just a good comfortable - and SOLID MH I can trust and feel secure in...

Ours has under 60K miles on it, all new top quality tires, engine and drivetrain in excellent condition - I'd without hesitation, get in it as it stands, and head out from here in eastern Oregon, down to Florida with NO concerns - other than the price of fuel - sorry to include THAT price element in this thread...
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Comparing daily driven car to a motorhome is like comparing apples to bananas in my opinion. One you might put roughly 150k miles on in 10yrs, the other not even half that. Maintenance is a big factor mind you. Age doesn't kill a MH, lack of care does. A car usually gets washed once every week or so, and waxed a couple times a year. The same isn't always true for a motorhome, which also needs to be re-sealed every 2yrs....so if you just drive a MH, and don't do anything to it, then yes, 15-17yrs is about as old as you want to go...after that it'll be too ripe.

BUT if you do take care of your MH as you would you car, then they'll never quit. It makes sense to, especially if you buy new. After all, if you're throwing away $80-100k++ (which you'll never see again), why not at least get your money's worth be keeping it as long as you can?? You don't owe Motorhome manufactures anything, why keep your hard earned money??

All-original, 35yrs old & counting, has never quit, AND it still does everything a 2013 would....as long as you have a bed/sink/shower/fridge/A.C, what else do you need??

36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will concur with all above that talk about being mechanically inclined as the decision point about a used rig (or older car too).

And I will add that if I was unable to fix those little things that always seem to pop-up, I would ONLY buy or lease new. Like, if I couldn't figure out if a problem was a bad fuse vs. major repair, I would want to always be under warranty.

Lucky for me, I am can usually fix the smaller issues in my vehicles - so much that I have a 26 year old 4X4 (LOVE IT!) And, I saved many 10's of thousands of dollars by buying my RV used over an identical new unit.

But I gotta say , I would prefer to have the newest, nicest stuff...But, the trade-off is; Do I have 1 EXPENSIVE NEW TOY or lots of gently used and well maintained toys!
Easy answer for me.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Actually a new motorhome can be very expensive, even more expensive when you factor in the cost of money and present day value. In general the kinks have been worked out of a well kept motor home and those that aren't you can fix. Can't figure it out go on a forum like thousand ask. Most of the new motorhomes have really small inverters, they like to be plugged in. There might be other things you want so you take it in, and in and in. Warranty work may not cost you but the travel, time and gas does.

Insurance will cost less, license tags too. You will never become upside down where you owe 80,000 and the coach is worth 40,000 and you have to sell. Lots of nice used coaches out there that have been sitting because they are upside down. Get a ding in it doesn't hurt as bad. The old units have for the most part real wood, not a thin veneer over USB or worse compressed board.

Mines a '91. At campgrounds people often try to guess what year, they think its newer. I often say I am thinking about getting it painted, they say why. It would cost as much as the coach. I'm happy, the wife is happy, the grand kids are happy and I own it.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #27
Old is irrelevant, it's what you want

I drive a '97 BMW. Replaced the engine at 266,105 miles. Still going strong. My MH is an '88 model and other than being a bit dated, is still going strong. Nothing wrong with old, if it's reliable and you like, it just doesn't matter.
1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial 35 ft.
Randy1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coming from the boating world, prepared me for a lot of work. I in joy working and maintaining something.

Bob & Rita Bazley, the pups Tia & Kali ( shi-poohs)
97 Dolphin 36'
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote