Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #57
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
It all comes down to the build quality of the unit and the care/maintenance that has been rendered + level of support from the builder(s) (chassis and MH builder).

Our coach was "old" when we purchased it almost 4 years ago. But, it only had 47K miles and had been well looked after.

Everything except the satellite TV system worked and is still working. All maintenance except some very minor stuff has been preventive.

Support from American Coach and Spartan has been superb.

Close to 75K miles now and it is ready to go whenever we are!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Very nice looking coach ...
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Well it takes all kinds of people to make a World.
As long as You are Happy with Your Lot in Life. It does not really matter whether You or the Other guy has a Brand New Rig or One that is 20 Years Old.
In The End We are All going to end up in the same place.
Enjoy whatever You got!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
In The End We are All going to end up in the same place.
Which RV park you talking about.

BTW two couples are leaving in coaches to go to Salmon Point RV are you interested in making it a three coach run?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
No I don't necessarily think a 2004 coach is "old". The reason my wife and I want to stay 2005 or newer is because of decor, options etc. My wife doesn't like the all brass look inside with the rose colored cabinets and carpets etc. I know the "older" crowd doesn't mind that color scheme(you can decide if you fit into the "older" crowd...) To be honest, I found a really nice 2000 Newmar Dutchstar 38'. Really nice paint scheme, really ugly interior. So that ruled that coach out for us. It seems that 2005 or newer has nicer cherry colored cabinets and stainless or brushed silver for knobs/taps etc. It's just what we like.

We will be buying a 2005 or 2006 used Monaco. Know what you mean
about brass handles etc.

My wife can pick out any style handle she likes; she know how to change them!
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #61

In the Air Force the f 4 jet is still being used. they where introduced in 1958 It can fly over mach 2 It was one of the Craft I worked on when I was working on it around 1986 In Vietnam we where using many Air Craft over 20 years old which where flying everyday. If you take care of it old is fine. Sure IF I was rich I would most likely have a new motorhome I could drive on to my 225 foot long ship. I had a 55 foot Pace Maker boat that was 20 years old and was fine. And it was wood we put two 350 Chevy engines in it.. Of course I would not by another wood boat but just saying. K peace
Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #62

I bought our first motorhome in 2004, it was a 72 Winnebago Brave in excellent condition, 20 ft with the Chrysler 413 motor. We would still have it today but it was just too small and was starting to get hard to find chassis parts for it.

We bought a low mileage 89 Southwind a few months back, 34 ft and spent a few thousand bucks putting it back into shape, it sat for three years.
Although I would love to have a diesel pusher, I like the fact that I can repair this unit cheap and on my own.

I wouldnt really say that a coach was too old to buy, just depends on the shape it's in, how much you want to put into it and how hard your willing to search for parts for it.
vegas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #63

Our Beaver is a 1988 that we bought 3 years ago. We have been rving since 1986 except for a 10 year hiatus from 2000-09. When we found this one, it had 63,000 miles on it and had been well cared for by its owner. At first we saw it as a transitional rv until we could spend more time traveling. After enjoying it for the last three years, we have come to really love it. The quality that is built into this coach is first rate. When we go to shows and to rv lots we always come away with the feeling that we wouldn't trade this for most new rigs out there. At this point it has developed a vintage appeal that often gets attention from other rvers. When they look inside, they are always impressed with the workmanship.

We have never been people who need to have the latest or newest. There's a comfortable feel to some of these older coaches that can't be matched. In the 15+ trips that we've taken with it, we've only had one problem; a bad ignition switch that we replaced easily. We've just put a new set of tires on this season and did a brake job. Everything else has been routine maintenance that you would have to do on any MH.
It really comes down to your own preferences and what you feel comfortable taking on. As for us, it was love at first sight.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #64

Each year I upgrade one of the systems. The most expensive was the electrical. I put in an inverter, automatic switch and 120v sub panel. I added 3 new large 12v batteries and a new three stage converter. Bought the large wire from AZ solar and a hammer crimper and made up all the connections myself. Actually a lot of fun and I know the wiring in my coach real well. I also replaced the stop shorts with blade fuses in a new marine fuse block.

Next year I took on plumbing and bathroom sink. New faucets with new pec fittings and all new valves for the freeze drains. Now I know this system pretty well. Put in a new flat screen TV too.

Last year put in 5 new blinds. This year put in 4 new vents on the roof now I know the structure of the roof and discovered externabond tape.

None of this except for the electrical was very expensive but I have yet to see an electrical system in any new rig that matches mine. I even used the right gauge wires x 2.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #65

Country Coach Owners Club
Interesting thread....I see the point about cost not to be included, and in some ways I agree. There are certain "high water" marks that I want our future coach to have -- 4 slides, aqua hot, heated tile floor throughout the living areas, a diesel engine well matched to the weight of the coach (with a compression brake) and tandem rear wheels.

It seems that 2007 was a banner year for high end coaches that are now entering the market with some of the most advanced engineering available...with pricing that's half of what they originally sold for. Yes, they may have brass knobs and wood finishes not entirely to our preference, but knobs are an easy change and since it's all solid wood I enjoy the results of personally refinishing it to our tastes.

It's not so much how old the coach is, but how is it equipted and what shape is it in?

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Buying a coach is no different then buying a car...There are old cars that have really been taken care of and pampered over that are better then 2 year old cars that have been abused....same a for the coaches so don't just look at age, check if it was maintained well and is still in good condition.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote