Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #43

It all comes down to the build quality of the unit and the care/maintenance that has been rendered + level of support from the builder(s) (chassis and MH builder).

Our coach was "old" when we purchased it almost 4 years ago. But, it only had 47K miles and had been well looked after.

Everything except the satellite TV system worked and is still working. All maintenance except some very minor stuff has been preventive.

Support from American Coach and Spartan has been superb.

Close to 75K miles now and it is ready to go whenever we are!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc Dec - May 053.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	608.3 KB
ID:	28019  
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #44

When I decided to full time I could have gone used or new. I looked at new from the highest end to the lower end. I looked at used the same way. My criteria was how comfortable am I in all that opulence? I wasn't comfy at all. I'm a country gal and didn't see the point or use in all the glitz and glamor. I'm also a working artist and have two basset hounds. Glitz and glamor don't mix well with either of those. In the end I opted for a 2001 Dutch Star. It had always been garaged, all maintenance records were available, had brand new tires on it and only had 51,000 miles. The only thing I would change on my coach is the carpet. (ugh) That will happen early next year. It runs like a top, no dents or dings. I keep it well serviced and cared for. There is no reason to trade it in on anything bigger and better. Honestly, I'm not sure I could get better no matter how well I traded up. She's a good workhorse and hasn't failed me yet.
Waggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #45

"Why would one drive a 15+ year old coach, no matter how nice it was condition or feature wise, or the fact that it's paid for, when a new Prevost might be an alternative if money were not relevant?"

Gee, I'm not so sure about that. I drive a 1992 Cutlass convertible (I just had a new engine put in it), why? because I detest the look of the cars on the road now days. I like the look of my vert, so much so, this is the 2nd one I've owned, I had this one shipped to me from Florida.

Why did I buy my 1996 Mountain Aire? because I love the layout. Back several months ago when there was a thread on what you would buy if you won the powerball? I went looking at various high end MH sites, you know what? I didn't find a one that I like more than what I have.

So keep your "new", I'll take what I like.

Kaye
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
"Why would one drive a 15+ year old coach, no matter how nice it was condition or feature wise, or the fact that it's paid for, when a new Prevost might be an alternative if money were not relevant?"

Gee, I'm not so sure about that. I drive a 1992 Cutlass convertible (I just had a new engine put in it), why? because I detest the look of the cars on the road now days. I like the look of my vert, so much so, this is the 2nd one I've owned, I had this one shipped to me from Florida.

Why did I buy my 1996 Mountain Aire? because I love the layout. Back several months ago when there was a thread on what you would buy if you won the powerball? I went looking at various high end MH sites, you know what? I didn't find a one that I like more than what I have.

So keep your "new", I'll take what I like.

Kaye
I'm attracted to "classics" as well. Not into cars much, but would love to be able to justify a 26' GMC, a FWD Revcon, or even a Travco 270! I love their lines, how they are built, and the mechanical/electronic wizardry involved - but - from a more practical perspective, none of them have slide outs? That's a convenience I'm not prepared to give up! OK, so a Prevost may have been a little over the top, but I think it might suffice to make the point I was making? -Al
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #47

I don't believe in throwing something out just because of a calender, except for perishables,
I'm a 1949 model & I think/hope I,m good for a few more years. A little age on a motor home is a good thing. The loose/weak fasteners & couplings should have been taken care of, cracking suspension,stripping spark plugs, freezing calipers, are largely known about,& hopefully repaired.
Besides, being a professional fixit guy,I'm too egotistical to think I can't fix it.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #48

i have a 2001 DP I bought this year! It looks like new in and out, drives great, and I love it. Only 32000 miles and a dream to maintain myself....I would be no happier with a newer one.....
LJ2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #49

I sure ain't got no prob with owning the 88 Bounder me an wife has, Has 47,000 miles on it,, I have takeing care of it for lil over 9 years now an been the only one driveing it,, Still a few things I like to find out about it but Thanks to this Forums I had gotten more info about it in about 2 days then I have been able to get in the lil over 9 years,, Made me love this 88 even more,, Sure it don't have any slideouts to it but we make it do, What we have may not be the best looking an set up but we can sure go RVing just like the rest of folks with new or use,, Me an wife are friendly folks an sure hope to be able to meet others at parks when we go,, We mainly go to a campsite called Levi Jackson State Park here in London Ky an its only takes us about 20 mins to get there from our home here in Corbin Ky. Guess I said enough about me huh,,lol,, Well Happy RVing everybody an hope to get to meet some RVer's an have good times,,,
Russ50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
Its all about maintenance and care. Dump a car at 10 yrs old. I have a car in my garage that runs as good as the day it was built, only 83 yrs ago.
So I imagine anything mechanical, will last well beyond most peoples expectations.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
i prefer new ,but if circumstances or preforance dictated an older model then that what i would have
i have want i want not what others dictate ,i do have a 1973 dodge with 247,000 miles on it and would drive it any where and it shine as well as 2011 jeep
brianj
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
This has been a very interesting thread, we bought our first rv a M.H. In August with the thought that we wanted an older one "2005" because we wanted to make sure we would use it enough to justify a new one, the longer we have it the more we love the floor plan and the coach in general. We don't know how long we will be able to maintain this lifestyle although we are both 63 and in good health but you never know the future. Our house is 35 years old and have no intention of getting rid of it, so I guess what it comes down to is what a person likes. Some people love new things, in some respects my d.w., and some people love older things and all that entails it is what makes the world go round.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #53

My quick thoughts on buying new: No matter how much money I had, I would still by 5yrs old, because I like to leave the headaches of working out the bugs to the 1st owner. Many here will agree with that. When you buy a new MH, and it breaks, your feelings get hurt.

I might add that our beater Jeep has 200k hard miles (we off-road it), is all original, and runs like day 1....cleans up well too

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a collection of old. A 1977 23 foot C Class, 1994 Jeep Grande Cherokee Laredo Limited ( hey I liked the name eh?) a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer and a 1999 Dodge Van. All run great and see use all the time. My Jeep has many many beautiful scratches in the paint to show successfully getting us into and back home from some pretty wild wilderness (hence good fishing) lakes here in BC. Too easy to dump old if you want to but I like to tinker with the stuff and keep it going.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
wow this thread has bounced all over the place...
2 add my one and a half cents...

My brother, 2 1/2 years my junior, he "calls the guy". it doesn't even matter what the task is, it makes him feel successful to "call the guy."
He buys new foreign cars, lives in a new cookie cutter house, and when something needs to be mowed, trimmed or painted, he "calls the guy".

And he likes this. and it makes him happy. and there is nothing wrong with that.

Me... from the same gene pool, I do it myself. Way back when, I couldn't afford "the guy." The past twenty or so years, "the guy" just didn't do a good enough job to suit me. I buy tools like many buy trophy wives....

And if I can't fix it, it doesn't need fixing, because everything deserves fixing.

My daily driver is a 2000 wrangler with damned near a quarter million miles on her. By choice.
My other car is a 1968 Camaro convertible, with 20 times her original msrp invested. But she's been cross country, 4 wheels on the ground. engine running, 4times...

Our current motorhome, a 5 year old DP, was a compromise to get me what I want, in a package my wife could appreciate.

But sometimes late at night, we talk about how cool '50's retro is. turquoise tables with chrome legs and trim, that kinda stuff. I've all ready told her there is no way I'm remodelling the interior of the Knight to '50's retro...

Someday, we'll have that really cool "old" motorhome.

She'll just have to get used to not having a slide or four.

When you pull into a campground in a Bluebird, or a Foretravel, everyone knows you've arrived. And no one cares that that bus is twenty years old.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #56

Triple E Owners Club
I purchased my 05 Meridian last year for 10K under half the original MSRP. In the last year, including a Solar system and 4 new tires I have spent about 16k on replacements and improvements. I expect some other expenses but no where close to the cost of a new rig. Plus there are no real NEW goodies on new rigs that i just cannot live without. I like the performance, handling (esp with the added improvements), floor plan, and installed equipment. So as long as it is structurally sound I will most likely drive this rig until I wear out.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote