Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question when is old too old ?

I dump a car at 10 years , I figure the beast is used up at that age

for a coach I would stretch that to maybe 15 years or so

I certainly would not buy a 20 year old coach for use other than maybe a beater camper unit type of deal .

your thoughts ?

stay away from the cost aspect of this topic it isn't relevant to the discussion IMO
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't understand the purpose of your post unless we are to be impressed with your rig. A quality RV that is taken care of, will last well beyond your 15 years. We have had a 1979 Silver Streak that had a lot of life left and it always got lots of attention in the campgrounds. After that we UPGRADED to a 1989 Avion. We sold it when it was 23 years old in better shape than most 2 or 3 year old units.

If you like new and can afford it, get what you want. Some of us appreciate the older vintage units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Depends on what you want to do with it.. I have my 85 Southwind and I would have no problem going anywhere with it. I like it because if it breaks... Anything breaks... I can fix it. I can change tires myself without needing a tow truck, can climb under it without needing to jack. It is not full of whiz bang computer controlled anything and does fine for me.

We took it to the Indy 500 this year and we cooked, slept, showered, watched tv, had hot water, generator, air conditioning... What else do you want???

To just assume that because something is older than 10 years instantly turns it into a beater seems silly to me.. Some people just like older stuff.

And I don't have a payment!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprdtyf350 View Post

And I don't have a payment!!!!
And the OP said to keep cost out of the discussion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

My thoughts? They're wondering how you can discuss this topic without addressing cost/money? I can't think of anything any more relevant when discussing "how old is too old"? This IS all about how much I can/want to spend to do what I want to do from where I'm sitting....

Why would one drive a 15+ year old coach, no matter how nice it was condition or feature wise, or the fact that it's paid for, when a new Prevost might be an alternative if money were not relevant?

Or am I missing something?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
My thoughts? They're wondering how you can discuss this topic without addressing cost/money? I can't think of anything any more relevant when discussing "how old is too old"? This IS all about how much I can/want to spend to do what I want to do from where I'm sitting....

Why would one drive a 15+ year old coach, no matter how nice it was condition or feature wise, or the fact that it's paid for, when a new Prevost might be an alternative if money were not relevant?

Or am I missing something?

X2
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder if I'll still be driving in 10 more years, making my coach 15 years old.

I guess that means I'll keep it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
This is an interesting discussion. We are currently still looking for our first Motorhome. I am in my mid 30's so I don't want a coach that is "too old" because I want it to last a long....long...long time, especially with how much they cost(I know, cost isn't supposed to be an issue). So for me, anything that is 2004 or older doesn't get considered. But for me and my wife, it is more about interior decor, exterior colours and options etc. But also I want it to last a long time, so I don't want a coach that is too old to start with. My plan is to buy a used coach now and when I retire in 20 years, we will upgrade to an new(er) coach. I figure by then it will be worn out as it could potentially be 25-30 years old. But I tend to take very good care of my things, so it will probably only look 15 years old
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
it all comes down to money!!!!! that is the bottom line or we all would be driving the best or newest!!!! I can live with my 15 year old for a few more years
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
X2
X3 ya all...........
Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
I dump a car at 10 years , I figure the beast is used up at that age

for a coach I would stretch that to maybe 15 years or so

I certainly would not buy a 20 year old coach for use other than maybe a beater camper unit type of deal .

your thoughts ?

stay away from the cost aspect of this topic it isn't relevant to the discussion IMO
I can't argue with your thinking. However......

Our coach was 13 years old when we bought it. We weren't sure whether a coach was what we needed or wanted. Buying an older one and fix it up to our taste was what we decided to do.

The mechanics of a Class A are good for a lot more miles and a lot more time than most of us will ever have on this earth.

We repainted outside and inside, replaced the furniture and flooring. We couldn't be happier.

Our coach is in better condition than yours!

Ouch! Sorry about that!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Old, new, gas or diesel I just love rv's. I am not very good at making upgrades or doing repairs so an older unit in most cases would not be ideal for me and the DW. I will tell you that I do get excited when an older unit that looks good and runs well passes by me going in the opposite direction. I truly believe deciding what is too old is extremely personal and based partly on your mechanical and repair skills. New or old homes I hope to see all of you on the road.
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #13

For the folks who think they are above working with their hands...dump it

For the folks who never achieved any mechanical ability...dump it

For the folks who can ruin a cannon ball in a sand box....dump it

For the folks who always have something jumping out in front of them causing damage to their vehicles....dump it

For the folks with mechanical ability and like to use their abilities...it would be their choice

it's tough to elaborate much deeper without cost coming into the equation
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like my 2000 Subaru. Hardly used up at 12 (almost) 13 years old.

Finally had to put new pads on the front brakes at 170,000 miles. Cost me $50 and about 1/2 hour of easy work. Probably will have to do the rears within a couple of years. Otherwise just gas and oil so far.

Plan to take this Subie to 250K miles, about another 7 years when it will be 20 years old. I don't hesitate to take off on a 1000 mile round trip in it. When I think that might be a problem I will "dump it" and buy something newer.