Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
When is the best time to trade.

At what age is the best time to think about upgrading class A motorhomes. I'm sure mileage has something to do with it. We currently put on about 10,000 miles per year. That will more than likely increase over the next couple years as we will now have more time to travel. Not in any hurry to trade just curious as to what the members here think about this.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

When you see one you can't live without.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
When you see one you can't live without.
...and can afford it!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
A trade to newer is seldom economically justified even in business terms. Asset replacement usually happens because the current asset cannot do the job any more. Cost of replacement along with almost always exceeds cost of repairs and return on investment (ROI) considerations.

But as cenfl says above, when you want to trade up it is time. It just isn't a need.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

I'd say after three years, but before 5 years. I picked 5 years due to it is half way between the 10 year rule that many buyers seem to get hung up about.

But, IMO:

> If you like your coach layout, run with it and keep it maintained well. Do upgrades on interiors as you both desire. The Newmar Dutch Star is a good coach, and if properly maintained you will be in the 300-500K mile range before needing to worry about major engine and trans components. (Not saying you may not have a few several $K surprises pop-up over the years - but that is still money ahead on what the hit would be to trade it in, and ride off the lot with a new coaches big depreciation cycle ahead again. Even if you put $30-40K into mechanical repairs over a 10 year period - you'd still be $XXK ahead of the game.)

>If your needs change, or you just want something different. Then I would sell the coach privately first. On consignment second. Trade in third... From an honest fair private sell price down to the trade in option - you could lose $20-35K on a your coach at age 5 years old. (Just fast thinking and this could be off several $K - but I feel firmly you would take a big hit on consignment and especially trade in - over a private sell.

Not that it may matter to you, and that is OK with me! But we bought our coach at age 6 1/2, as it met our budget range and more important our Quality of Coach level. We knew we'd use it as the foundation to build off of on making it our coach. We currently plan to run with it for at least 10 more years, and is now 10 years old being a 2004 (built Sept 2003) coach. But, that was us... and if the two of you are more comfortable with rotating and having newer coaches - great!

Best of luck on whatever you do in the future. And using them is what it is all about, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter View Post
At what age is the best time to think about upgrading class A motorhomes. I'm sure mileage has something to do with it. We currently put on about 10,000 miles per year. That will more than likely increase over the next couple years as we will now have more time to travel. Not in any hurry to trade just curious as to what the members here think about this.
When you can no longer stand the pressure of holding on to your money for another depreciating asset that will cost more than you could ever possibly spend on repairs and upgrades.
On the other hand, you could just say.....we want that, even though we don't need it..... and the American way....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I'd say after three years, but before 5 years. I picked 5 years due to it is half way between the 10 year rule that many buyers seem to get hung up about.

But, IMO:

> If you like your coach layout, run with it and keep it maintained well. Do upgrades on interiors as you both desire. The Newmar Dutch Star is a good coach, and if properly maintained you will be in the 300-500K mile range before needing to worry about major engine and trans components. (Not saying you may not have a few several $K surprises pop-up over the years - but that is still money ahead on what the hit would be to trade it in, and ride off the lot with a new coaches big depreciation cycle ahead again. Even if you put $30-40K into mechanical repairs over a 10 year period - you'd still be $XXK ahead of the game.)

>If your needs change, or you just want something different. Then I would sell the coach privately first. On consignment second. Trade in third... From an honest fair private sell price down to the trade in option - you could lose $20-35K on a your coach at age 5 years old. (Just fast thinking and this could be off several $K - but I feel firmly you would take a big hit on consignment and especially trade in - over a private sell.

Not that it may matter to you, and that is OK with me! But we bought our coach at age 6 1/2, as it met our budget range and more important our Quality of Coach level. We knew we'd use it as the foundation to build off of on making it our coach. We currently plan to run with it for at least 10 more years, and is now 10 years old being a 2004 (built Sept 2003) coach. But, that was us... and if the two of you are more comfortable with rotating and having newer coaches - great!

Best of luck on whatever you do in the future. And using them is what it is all about, have fun,
Smitty
I'm hung up on the 40 year plan! ... (Pick right motorhome 1st time, pay cash for it, then enjoy!)
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter View Post
$ wise it's much better to make what you have work. Our problem has been that lifestyles change. Kids, Grandkids, guests, retirement. Our 1 slide was perfect for vacations, not so much 8 months a year. Things change, more importantly how you use it changes. Upgrades are easy except for slides. expensive to add them.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

When to upgrade.
When you can afford to do so.
When you want the latest technology; LED lighting, entertainment systems, res fridge, more slides, heated floors, etc
When you want bigger or smaller or gas to diesel.
Other than that I can't think of any reason. I've seen a few coaches over 15 years old that were in immaculate condition and original owners.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no "best time to trade". An RV is a loosing proposition from the word go. So as posted above, get a new one when you can afford it and when you find the one you can't live without.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Buy just what you need (like) and maintain it. It is not a good "investment" relative to making money. But, think about why you buy a MH in the first place. You can update tv's, most electronics, systems if you need. Use it because you'll be dead before you know it.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote