Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
People say "I want a big comfortable house on wheels, that I can drive from place to place. I want it reliable, and pretty, and I want it perfect." Businessman says "Ok, I can do that." Person says" oh, and I'll only pay $xxx,xxx for it". Businessman says "Umm, let me see what I can do."

And right there is where it starts. There is always-- always-- a friction between pricing and quality, and always will be until customers vote with their feet.

Motorhomes are like many other things in life-- large complex things are expensive, and if done right will cost some money. The quality manufacturers are well known, as are the lesser ones. Heed the experience of years. You are better off to buy seven year old quality than brand new junk.

very well said .... You are better off to buy seven year old quality than brand new junk....

this is very sad but is the truth and giving this stuff has to be made like a airplane some times and start and stops on roads .. there is to be cuts in the system some where to keep MPG up and GVWR down

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I usually told the customer that there are three things that have a direct impact on his project. Speed, price and quality. He was only allowed to pick two because the third one, no matter which one he picks, always has an affect on the other two.

Pick speed, price and quality suffer.
Pick price, speed and quality suffer.
Pick quality, price and speed suffer.

Alan Wilson

Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I thought I was having too many initial problems with my then new Fleetwood until I met a fellow with a brand new 2 million dollar Marathon Prevost conversion. He told me he was ready to drive his coach through the front door of Marathon. When I brought my coach back to the factory service center in Decatur, the mechanics would always joke with me that they represent the final 200 feet of the assembly line.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I often say "if your not having issues with your rig then you bought used, not new". As stated earlier try to get all major repairs done while under warranty. You can negotiate financial reimbursement and warranty extension. I found that most issues were not with the individual component but with how they were installed and how the major components were put together like slides etc. Standard Industry Quality programs could go a long way in reducing warranty cost for the manufacturers, Six Sigma, Lean etc. Warranty cost can run about 10% of revenue for most mid size coaches which is nuts. If they made cars they'd be out of business the first year. I guess after first 18 months of a new coach you'll end up with what you thought you getting on day one.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
I guess after first 18 months of a new coach you'll end up with what you thought you getting on day one.
Let's all hope so. Heading to the dealership 90 miles away to drop off our coach to fix the bedroom slide, hopefully replace the batteries (two are leaking acid); and check the living area slide (it squeaks and says, I think I can) ... I don't want it to say, no I can't the next trip.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Also discovered that ours is leaking diesel fuel. :-(. Of course Dixie said they don't deal with chassis and won't look at it. I need to take to Freightliner after they fix the slides/batteries. Will it ever end?????
Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, to your question. Just my opinion but your dealer, Dixie, is a large part of your problem. No reputable dealer would not check it see if there was a simple solution to leaking fuel. Ie, loose hose clamp, etc. I ran into another Providence owner that had purchased thru Dixie, he was given the same run around. FWIW. I would contact FW and FL to get their input. Put the pressure on your dealer!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #22

I was chewing out a car dealership service department on a new car a few years back. The service guy told me they are not made by god they are made in Detroit. I think that says it all.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #23

That plus first year depreciation is why I will never buy new again.
once was enough. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice on ME.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Also discovered that ours is leaking diesel fuel. :-(. Of course Dixie said they don't deal with chassis and won't look at it. I need to take to Freightliner after they fix the slides/batteries. Will it ever end?????

No, I don't think it will
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I sometimes think renting a coach may be the better option
for many folks.

Ya have to wonder how many of the guys who say
'I fix the little things myself' just have too much time on
their hands.

If you have nothing to do setting around the RV park
this is a great way to both use up your week and
cover the mfg and dealers poor workmanship.

Fun for some and hell for others.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
The problem is that Motorhome problems are not announced on TV like Car Manufacturers. If they would, manufacturers would be more careful with the Quality of the product they produce. Warranty repairs do not help the owner for having to be without the Motorhome, sometime for Months. Motorhomes should also fall under the Lemon Law like cars do.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It never ends. Just budget annually for repairs a plenty of preventative maintenance. I set $4000 aside annually but don't always need it.

Then be happy with the choice to own and operate it. This is what I finally came to terms with.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
In owning a motorhome, I've learned that whether you own a 1980 or a 2014, everyone has repair expenses. Generally the newer the home, the higher the cost when something does break, which sort of makes a good case for owning something a little older.