Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

When is too much?

I've owned my first motorhome, and would like to hear about your experience. I bought brand new DP and i had many problems in my first 6 months of ownership. I expected to have some issues but from when it become not reasonnable?
yp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I can say is...be glad you had the problems while you were under warranty.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

My previous MH purchased new also was in the shop 3 months the first year I owned it . The second owner of that rig got a perfect coach. Luckily our rev purchased new also has been good, just little stuff that I fix.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Been there, done that.

Our coach was back to the factory three times before we got most of the squawk list knocked down. It took a couple of years to get a final resolution to our Aquahot issues (we were one of the few to have gotten a different burner than they'd historically used - they finally came up with a retrofit kit to put the standard burner into the existing unit).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know the answer to your question, but I feel your pain! Same situation. :-(
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

3 months! Did you get compensation or it's kind of things that is considerated like "normal" with motorhome? I tought that when you spent so much money you could expect a certain quality control from the manufacture, isn't it?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

Thanks for yours answers, i'm feeling that i'm not alone now;-). What it make me little bit upset is most of the sqwaks should be evitate with a good quality control. I understand that MH are lot more complicated than a car, but can you imagine to have half of this problems with your car? Do you think all MH manufacturers are the same or some are better if we compare apple to apple?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

There are a lot of threads on IRV2 about buying new vs used, especially for your first coach. A lot of folks think MHs are like a car. The basic chassis is, but the rest is like a custom built home - or think of it as buying an expensive house and putting it on a shake table.

Auto manufacturers have a lot of influence over their suppliers, MH manufacturers, much less - so the new owner gets to deal with whatever cost-cutting measures each supplier has made in their latest generation of products.

MHs aren't really "produced" in the usual definition of the term, except at Winnebago. Fewer motorhomes are made by most manufacturers than Ferarris and Lambos. The quality problems of the 80s in automobile manufacturing have been solved with more automation (robotics) and standardization, neither of which abound in MH "production".

If people touch it, they'll screw it up, and the more people that touch it, the more screw-ups you'll have.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
People say "I want a big comfortable house on wheels, that I can drive from place to place. I want it reliable, and pretty, and I want it perfect." Businessman says "Ok, I can do that." Person says" oh, and I'll only pay $xxx,xxx for it". Businessman says "Umm, let me see what I can do."

And right there is where it starts. There is always-- always-- a friction between pricing and quality, and always will be until customers vote with their feet.

Motorhomes are like many other things in life-- large complex things are expensive, and if done right will cost some money. The quality manufacturers are well known, as are the lesser ones. Heed the experience of years. You are better off to buy seven year old quality than brand new junk.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What John said. I'm on my 3rd rig. First 2 purchased new, lastest one was used and do a lot of my own work.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Spartan MM Chassis Cummins 370HP
2002 Saturn SL2
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
What John said. I'm on my 3rd rig. First 2 purchased new, lastest one was used and do a lot of my own work.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Spartan MM Chassis Cummins 370HP
2002 Saturn SL2
And a lot of work it is! Especially when it looks good and then after owning it for a short time you start to see the neglect and the repairs start as things slowly fall apart. I've been working on my "new to us" used coach for 3.5 months now and am about $8,000 in repairs and upgrades. Most things I can do myself but some are shop-only repairs. I'm lucky that a lot of my own labour went into it or I'd be broke. I wish it was just a "get in and go on a holiday" coach. Just not there yet.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Buying a motorhome is like buying a house. Just because it's brand new doesn't mean you won't have problem right from the beginning. Luckily your under warranty. I do feel your pain with having these early issues. But once your get them straightened out you will love your rig.
Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Our rule "You never know how much, until you have too much"

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yp33d View Post
I've owned my first motorhome, and would like to hear about your experience. I bought brand new DP and i had many problems in my first 6 months of ownership. I expected to have some issues but from when it become not reasonnable?

Kinda makes me glad we bought a used one that someone had got most of the bugs out of!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote