Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yesterday i was just behind and two lanes over from a big rig when he blew a left front tire. He controlled it perfectly but lots, of tire flying everywhere.
Our MH tires are close to 6 yrs old and we will be replacing all at the same time. I am still considering super singles for the rear but no decision yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Yesterday i was just behind and two lanes over from a big rig when he blew a left front tire. He controlled it perfectly but lots, of tire flying everywhere.
Our MH tires are close to 6 yrs old and we will be replacing all at the same time. I am still considering super singles for the rear but no decision yet.
I was taulking to an Alfa owner that is a CW rep. His unit has the super singles and he has had great satisfactions. They were 445 wide units and the front units were a bit wider then standard. They looked to be about 2 inches inside the wheel well and hardly noticeble. He said it rides much better and easier on fuel. He surprised me when he said they are much better on tight turns then duals.
They were installed by Michelin free of charge for testing and show. They are named RV singles or something similar.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Newmar tested the super singles some years ago. They still use the time tested duals. I thought about them when we needed new tires but the cost was more than I wanted (new, very wide rims required $$$) and availability was a problem. Some of the local rock trucks run them as they never get stones stuck between the tires like duals can. And, since they're local they have spares and can send repair truck out with one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Best time is 100 feet before they blow out!

Michelin says 10 years max, but start having them checked every year at 5 years old.

I went just under 8 years with mine with no trouble.
From my experience tires that keep rolling can reach 10 yrs whilst tires that stay put show signs of cracking and perishing sidewalls and need to be retired early.
When I bought my coach in November the tires marked 05 and 07 looked pretty bad and I drove slowly to the michelin dealer to replace all 8.
The coach that I traded had been driven regularly with multiple trips totaling 10000 miles annually and the tires (05) looked like new ( sidewalls anyway)
It's cheap insurance to have them removed inspected and rebalanced by a "qualified person".
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexandera View Post
Can some one tell me what the date code is and how to read it? My rig is a 1994 I've had for just a few months. I replaced two tires and what a difference, but the others look ok......

Look for a recessed rectangle or oval on the sidewall with letters and numbers starting with DOT . If you don't see it, it may be on the other side of the tire. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.
Since 2000, the last 4 digits tell you the date. The first 2 are the week ( e.g. 01 is the first week of January) and the second 2 digits are the year.
For example, 1209 would be from week of March 15th, 2009 .

If the tires were made before in the 1990's ( I hope not !) , the date code is 3 digits, the first 2 are the week, and the last on is the year in 1990's -- e.g. a date code of 126 would be March of 1996
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #20

tire date code

If you google michelin rv tire, open the pdf file, it'll show you where and how to read the tire info. Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #21

Michelin says 10 years max if no significant sidewall cracking. We replaced our coach's original Michelin's at 10 years / 52,000 miles. They looked almost new on the sidewalls, and had probably over 40% tread remaining. Replaced with: Michelins...

If you don't have Michelins, you probably do need to replace every five years...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #22

Weight, usage and storage are all big factor. With a car, heck, you can drive on 20yrs+ tires. Our little class C had 15yr old tires, with no issues. But with a 20,000lbs class A, I'm starting to see that 10yrs is about the most you want to go. Keeping your tires covered extends their life, and inspecting them for sidewall cracks is the most important thing....but even a perfectly good looking tire can sometimes (albeit rare) go POP!

So my advice is if your tires are around 7yrs old and look good, they're fine...tire manufactures bet on owners using their tires for 7yrs. But that is the time when I would start putting money aside for a new set. So hopefully by year 8 or 9, you'll have the $$$$ needed for a new set.

RV tires aren't as heavy duty as you might think, especially their sidewalls (which is what gives a tire its strength). The tires on my truck have more plys and a thicker sidewall. Many RV tires are supposed be made of rubber compound less prone to sidewall cracking.....but I question that. I've never had a set of tires get badly weather cracked on my truck. It sits out 365 days a year, but is only used occasionally.

Also, tires are often a year old when you buy them new! something to keep in mind.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires