Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I recently flew 1900 miles on a one way ticket but I'm not a virgin DP owner and what I bought was much the same as my previous DP that I owned for 14 years. I did my own inspection and after paying I found the original owners maintenance book...turned out I'd been in the MH several years before. Fast forward 5 months, 6500 miles, and 45 days of use it's been everything I'd hoped and other than the house batteries, no surprises. I had not planned on selling my Dynasty but my son decided he'd like it over buying a new Class C...smart boy.

DO NOT limit your size to something that small because of NPs. I made that mistake 18 years ago because of posts that 36' was max for NPs. Did not take long to realize that's BS so went 40' and once able to use 100+ days/year went to 42' and 4 slides. The 42' became a 40' on occasion (have never been measured) but shrinking my "new" 45' that much may be a problem. Only advantage of something that small is you do not need a diesel which puts you into something that will not need the TVs replaced.

Foretravel makes a nice MH, but I'll put my 10 year old Navigator up against a 10 year old Foretravel. Both use a 10 airbag suspension (Prevost and Newell also) which makes for fantastic handling and plenty of Cargo Carrying Capacity.

I needed a 10 or less years old MH for our winter RV park and Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines so my 08 has a 06 engine.
I learned the $$$$ way that you should buy more MH than you think you need...ONE TIME!!!
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #16

We recently purchased our first Motorhome, a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel. We are also not full timing, but will be taking extended trips. We got lucky and purchased from a dealer that had a buy and fly program. If you flew in and made the purchase they reimbursed your travel expenses up to a grand. Worked out well. If you are buying from a dealer make sure you negotiate to get things fixed. Our dealer did not offer to fix a lot of cosmetic issues, but when I brought it up then they agreed. And if you purchase one I recommend video taping the operational instruction walkthrough. There is a lot to remember and the manuals are very vague. YouTube is also very helpful. Good luck!!!
Lomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #17

Additionally, many state and federal parks can accommodate the larger units, but do not advertise because they only have a small number of larger slips. With proper planning you shouldn’t have a problem.
Lomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I recently flew 1900 miles on a one way ticket but I'm not a virgin DP owner and what I bought was much the same as my previous DP that I owned for 14 years. I did my own inspection and after paying I found the original owners maintenance book...turned out I'd been in the MH several years before. Fast forward 5 months, 6500 miles, and 45 days of use it's been everything I'd hoped and other than the house batteries, no surprises. I had not planned on selling my Dynasty but my son decided he'd like it over buying a new Class C...smart boy.

DO NOT limit your size to something that small because of NPs. I made that mistake 18 years ago because of posts that 36' was max for NPs. Did not take long to realize that's BS so went 40' and once able to use 100+ days/year went to 42' and 4 slides. The 42' became a 40' on occasion (have never been measured) but shrinking my "new" 45' that much may be a problem. Only advantage of something that small is you do not need a diesel which puts you into something that will not need the TVs replaced.

Foretravel makes a nice MH, but I'll put my 10 year old Navigator up against a 10 year old Foretravel. Both use a 10 airbag suspension (Prevost and Newell also) which makes for fantastic handling and plenty of Cargo Carrying Capacity.

I needed a 10 or less years old MH for our winter RV park and Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines so my 08 has a 06 engine.
I learned the $$$$ way that you should buy more MH than you think you need...ONE TIME!!!
you say you needed a 10 year old or less for your winter park. Your new to you one is going to be 10 years old real soon.
I guess if you are staying for one winter your all set.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #19

So - interesting update. Spoke with MotorHomes of Texas (based on recommendations here and selection of coaches) turns out a Foretravel is probably not going to work for us. Why? Hubs is 6’4 and I am 5’10...the salesman said most people that tall just feel ‘tight’ in the Foretravel units. Greatly appreciate his honesty - they obviously deserve their reputation!
Now looking at Country Coaches,
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #20

Over the last two years we made many trips (driving and flights) to view motorhomes that we were interested in. We learned that people will post photos that aren't exactly true. You'll have to learn to ask pointed questions that are exactly what you want to know. Your expectations of excellent condition will most likely not be the sellers. (One coach we drove a long distance to see had floor tiles that had lifted, 100% paint checking and a broken ladder, yet they said it was in excellent condition). We had another seller ask us on a "100% guaranteed non-smoking" coach if they lowered their price by $3,000 would that make the smoke smell go away. Ask for current photos, make sure to ask for pics of the flaws too. Let them know what you're expecting for maintenance, cleanliness and general condition.

On the coach we finally bought I was very blunt and told the sellers that we were frustrated with untruthful people wasting our time (and AirMiles). They assured us they weren't misrepresenting their motorhome. They were fantastic to deal with.
mr-kolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiegirl04 View Post
I love the National Parks, and so many are limited in space size I am trying not to rule them out by overbuying. Plus, to Mr Sophie ‘camping out’ is staying in a hotel that doesn’t put a mint on the pillow, so when he sees a 40’ he almost hyperventilates! but the Parks really are the main reason.
Got a laugh on that part about camping,,, my ex use to call roughing it was " a motel room with no cable tv"
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
We bought ours on line 1800 miles away from one of the sponsors here
We insisted on using an inspector not associated with dealer read report said all was good flew down drove it home
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #23

Hi Sophie-

Yeah, there are lots of things to learn and the hardest is to recognize bad advice; the good news that the majority of folks replying give good advice and relate their experiences very well. You'll have lots of help available to you here!

I'm in a smaller Class C but may not be a solo traveler in the future. I carry a lot of "stuff" for various reasons and need more space and weight capacity (and a toad, but that's another thing for later) so like you, I'm looking up the food chain with a similar budget.

About flying to do your own inspection - I buy high value capital equipment at work and have flown out to view prospective purchases and walked away. The $1000 spent on airfare, hotel and car rental is peanuts compared to spending $100,000 (or much more) on something that was misrepresented in a material way, or that upon inspection is deemed unsuitable for our needs. If you're hoping to make a 1 time purchase I think you can make 3 or 4 trips if necessary to keep you from mis-buying. Ultimately you don't want to regret this purchase.

With older coaches the integrity of the conversion is as important as the condition of the chassis and drive train. You don't want one that's had water intrusion but you also don't want one that will need a 2 week trip to the truck shop for an engine rebuild or transmission replacement.

Good luck in your search, and safe travels always.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #24

…..lots of good info here....kinda doubt if Foretravel guy was totally truthful with you....compared to most MHs, Foretravel was/is pretty high end.....so his concern probably wasn't because your hubby is too tall, more likely he thought your pockets weren't deep enough....one other point--I know folks will swear by them or at them but I can't see ever buying an older DP without slides.....slides came into vogue in late 90s....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
If the Motorhomes of Texas is https://www.mhsrv.com/ .
NO! The website for Motor Homes of TX is ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

Keith is the man for inspections, Also You want it inspected by someone who is Thoroughly familiar with the brand....
Most of the employees (including the owner) are former Foretravel employees..

As a side note..
When buying a used motorcoach whether a DP or a gasser....
Be sure to have $10k to $20k set aside for seen and unseen issues or for personal wanted upgrades....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #26

If really considering a Foretravel then you should contact Brett Wolfe thru the Foreforum website.
He has owned a Foretravel, is super knowledgeable, does inspections for prospective buyers. If he cannot do an inspection, for whatever reason, he could likely recommend someone.

Disclaimer: we own a 1989 Foretravel GV, but have never met Brett, but have interacted with him on the Foreforum website for over 10 years. A more knowledgeable man re coaches and drive trains you will never meet.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
If really considering a Foretravel then you should contact Brett Wolfe thru the Foreforum website.
He has owned a Foretravel, is super knowledgeable, does inspections for prospective buyers. If he cannot do an inspection, for whatever reason, he could likely recommend someone.

A more knowledgeable man re coaches and drive trains you will never meet.
THAT Kind Sir.... Is a FACT !!!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #28

Foretravel Owners Club
This is similar to what we have (we have a tag axle and different dinette style)
check out the basement storage/engine HP/fuel capacity/fresh/gray/black capacities..
But You will not know for sure what the headroom is unless you go and see in person...

2000 Foretravel U320 40' Priced at $ 84500

(this one is a consignment so you may have a bit of leeway on a negotiated final price...
Happy Hunting..