Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…..lots of good info here....kinda doubt if Foretravel guy was totally truthful with you....compared to most MHs, Foretravel was/is pretty high end.....so his concern probably wasn't because your hubby is too tall, more likely he thought your pockets weren't deep enough....one other point--I know folks will swear by them or at them but I can't see ever buying an older DP without slides.....slides came into vogue in late 90s....
Well, you could be right, but...the Country Coach he is recommending cost LESS than the 2 Foretravel’s about which I was enquiring.
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiegirl04 View Post
Well, you could be right, but...the Country Coach he is recommending cost LESS than the 2 Foretravel’s about which I was enquiring.
Yup.... The Foretravels are individually hand built.. so are quite a bit more expensive to build, hence higher price when used..
also the Foretravels have larger engine,larger fuel/fresh/black/gray tanks,diesel AquaHot heat & hot water. and have a larger generator... but smaller propane tank

Nothing wrong with buying a Country Coach...They are well built and drive very nice.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy at a distance like you would buy a house. I bought a RV using this process. I also walked away on a purchase using this process.

Exchange pictures and discussion. If it looks good negotiate a price and tender a refundable deposit - sale contingent on satisfactory inspections.

First round of inspections are professional inspections of the house and chassis. After you get the results of these inspections - walk away or negotiate any repairs and/or renegotiate the price.

Once the pro inspection stage is satisfied - you now travel, and do your final acceptance inspection. If all is satisfactory - finalize the deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #32

Many thanks -

I really appreciate everyone offering their advice - it follows along my initial line of thinking, but just wanted to be sure there weren’t steps I would miss or things I had not thought of. (Which there were!) We are nowhere near confident enough to actually make a purchase yet - but everything here has added to my knowledge base, and I am very grateful. Thank you all for your kindness in sharing your experience!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sophiegirl04

There are some really great suggestions posted here on just how you should handle a coach purchase from across the country or, for that matter, next door to where you are.
A couple of brands you might want to consider are the Monaco or the Holiday Rambler..both excellent ( in my opinion ).
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post
There are some really great suggestions posted here on just how you should handle a coach purchase from across the country or, for that matter, next door to where you are.
A couple of brands you might want to consider are the Monaco or the Holiday Rambler..both excellent ( in my opinion ).
Funny (well, perhaps ironic) story about a Holiday Rambler...I have considered them, and on one of our “trial runs” at a local campground, there was an HR with a for sale sign in the window. It looked well cared for, and I would have loved to have seen it...but in 4 days I never once saw the owners outside!

Based on my research to date, I think we could be happy in a Country Coach, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, or Tiffin. Still open to suggestions, but I have to focus my efforts somewhere, it is just too overwhelming otherwise. A really nice thing has been our “trial camping runs” - not only are we learning about the units we rent, but so many other coach owners (once they learn what we are doing) have been very happy to show us their coach, and share their pro’s and con’s. Their honesty has been very helpful, too!

I feel like we are on the right track, but perhaps still on the first lap,
Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #35

Don't discount the Itasca Horizon. In the mid 2000s they made a 36'. Horizon was the top of the line trim, very well built. Not a Foretravel level but excellent machine. We have a 2007 40' and love it but will be downsizing this fall. There are a couple regulars here with the 36' versions, "fireup" being one, who can give some insight.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #36

I purchased mine in Florida about 1300 miles away.
I found a few on the Internet I liked and asked on this forum and another if someone was willing close by to take a look at it for me before I drove or flew to see it. I wasn't looking for a full inspection just a quick walk around. Their was always someone willing to do so.
There was a fella Mike on the Foretravel forum that looked at a couple for me at MOT. Both needed bulk head repair that seems to be a common problem with them.
As far as having 10-20 grand set aside I hear this on the forums a lot. I haven't spent 3k on mine in the four years I have owned it.
I think you are on the right track with the brands you are looking at.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Good info you've gotten so far, but personally don't think you will KNOW your final decision until after you've made it the old adage of buying your third coach first is true !

I've kicked the tires for some, but it's SUCH a personal decision, your 'standards' would have to match mine to be useful to you...
Somewhat like recommending a movie... unless both have seen it and have the same opinion, then the next recommendation may miss the mark...

We are about 30 minutes from MHSRV and have been know just to ride down there to 'inspect' the new offerings, but so far our monaco has not been outdone
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiegirl04 View Post
So - interesting update. Spoke with MotorHomes of Texas (based on recommendations here and selection of coaches) turns out a Foretravel is probably not going to work for us. Why? Hubs is 6’4 and I am 5’10...the salesman said most people that tall just feel ‘tight’ in the Foretravel units. Greatly appreciate his honesty - they obviously deserve their reputation!
Now looking at Country Coaches,
You might need to look at a 2004-5 or newer from most manf. as the ceiling heights went from 6' 6" height to 7' ceilings. my son-in-law is 6'4" and he had problems in older coaches the air conditioners filters are about 1" down. The extra height makes a Big difference on feeling closed in, also go for as many slides as possible. Mine has 4, has almost 8' of floor area. Really makes a difference when your taking long trips. We usually are gone on our summer trips for 6-8 weeks at a time. Always nice to have breathing room
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #39

I was curious about ceilng height and the Itasca Horizon of that era had basement air conditioning so no ceiling plate sticking down. The lowest part of my ceiling is a light fixture at 6'10" putting the ceiling at 7'1". I personally like the basement air. Very efficient, much quieter than most roof airs. It's a heat pump so does double duty as heat in moderate temperatures. Makes a more attractive roof line also.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #40

Taking copious notes from this thread. Like OP, I'm on a similar journey. I have been working with NIRV and MHSRV and was encouraged to hear that they would allow you to "camp" on their facility for a day or two to ensure you know how things operate and see if you can uncover any issues before making the trek home.

PPL Motorhomes is another outfit I'm working with. You can pay them to do the inspection, but not sure if that is the fox guarding the hen house scenario, but reputation seems good.
woodwardmpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #41

Foretravel Owners Club
I am just gonna throw this "out there" and give you something else to consider since most posters are trying to encourage you to go with as many slides as you can...
(personally I don't want more than just a living room slide)

Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

As a "fer instance" on usability/livability with all slides retracted & having the room to move around to galley/bath/ and living space...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112207 (1).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	216844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112324 (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	216845  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with your brand choices. They are some of the best built motor homes available. Go look and drive them all. You will be impressed with Foretravel.
I disagree with the salesman. Almost ALL 2000 model motor homes will have relatively low 79" ceilings. In 2004 Monaco as well as several other manufacturers increased interior height to 82" and in 2007 they went to 84" interior height. You will be balancing your budget against your desire for increased ceiling height but i think your husband can learn to get along with less headroom.

We flew to Dallas-Fort Worth twice when searching for our last motor home. Rented a car and drove around TX looking at coaches. We made it a vacation and enjoyed it. I highly recommend the bed and breakfast in Gruene TX.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote