Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

When to change oil.

I change my oil once per year on Diesel engine. I do this in the fall of the year but was wondering if spring would be a better time as I put must of the miles on in the winter months. Or am I over thinking this?

Thanks,
Robby

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #2

I always change mine just before we settle down for the winter. Don't like the idea of dirty oil sitting while we're stationary for 4 to 5 mos.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think you might be over thinking it. My owners manual says change it at 15K or one year and doesn't mention anything about when that should be. We use ours more in the winter so it's irrelevant here in the south. I don't think dirty oil hurts anything sitting in the bottom of an oil pan for the winter, but waiting to spring isn't going to get you anything extra either.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Ramets.

You can let your the coach sit for months with dirty oil or sit with clean oil. Which one sounds like the better idea?

You should change your oil before a long period of storage.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree with Ramets.

You can let your the coach sit for months with dirty oil or sit with clean oil. Which one sounds like the better idea?

You should change your oil before a long period of storage.
Of course you could turn that around and say, what would be better, starting off in the Spring with fresh clean oil, or oil that has been sitting all Winter sucking up water!

Bottom line: I believe you are overthinking this as well! The most important point is to change you oil!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not the dirty oil in the pan they were worrying about. It is the byproducts of combustion that causes the problems. according to the "experts" the acids can etch the bearings and do other damage to the engine.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I think you might be over thinking it. My owners manual says change it at 15K or one year and doesn't mention anything about when that should be. We use ours more in the winter so it's irrelevant here in the south. I don't think dirty oil hurts anything sitting in the bottom of an oil pan for the winter, but waiting to spring isn't going to get you anything extra either.

I agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
It is not the dirty oil in the pan they were worrying about. It is the byproducts of combustion that causes the problems. according to the "experts" the acids can etch the bearings and do other damage to the engine.
Exactly. Fresh oil has none of these acidic byproducts in it yet, therefore it protects the engine's innards during storage better than dirty, acidic oil.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Correct, store with fresh oil. I change every fall before storage as recommended.

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Call me crazy but I change my oil every other year and use a high quality NAPA oil filter. I send in a sample to Blackstone labs yearly. Their recommendations are what I base that on. Worth the $25 for the savings. I only average 3000 miles a year.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Change the oil in all our low annual mileage stuff once year in my birthday month. Motorhome, jeep, old truck, garden tractor, etc. live in SoCal so no storage factor - use the stuff year round.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Probably over-thinking it.

However, I just saw a Freightliner Custom Chassis recommendation to do the oil change before putting the rig in winter storage. The rationale seems to be that it is better to let it sit with clean oil than [possibly] dirty or acidic oil coating everything. But you aren't storing yours, right? You put miles on it in the winter? If so, it seems to be 6 of one and half-dozen of the other...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Call me crazy but I change my oil every other year and use a high quality NAPA oil filter. I send in a sample to Blackstone labs yearly. Their recommendations are what I base that on. Worth the $25 for the savings. I only average 3000 miles a year.
Ditto on above
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #14

I change oil based on analysis. Last change interval was about 28 months. Oil still tested good, but the tbn changed enough to say it's time. Generator changed yearly as I don't analyze that motor oil. Agree that subject is over thought. When is the last time you heard of an engine failure due to oil?

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.