Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question When to replace your Class A Diesel?

We own a lovely 2003 Fleetwood Providence 39P, but have been looking at some of the new mid-entry diesel pushers with the drop down bed. Our grandchildren are getting older and we'd like the option of bringing them with us sometimes WITHOUT having to fold out the sofa. Plus, I like the mid-entry as it's easier for us to take out little dogs out to "potty", and the awning will provide more rain protection when doing so.

However, at what point do you decide to take the plunge? We service our coach every year at the local Cummins dealer and have replaced a few items, such as a new oil pan, alternator, tires, etc. I believe the batteries will need replaced soon, as they're the original and they don't seem to hold their charge as long now. We'd be lucky to get what we owe on it....and may be "underwater" about $10,000. We're about two years from retirement, so we plan on doing a LOT more traveling at that time.

Do many of you just hold onto your coaches and make needed upgrades? Or do you replace them every ten years or so? Some of the higher end parks don't want to let us in without a picture due to it's age.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

We purchased a newer one. Wife wanted latest technology and upgrades like residental refrigerator and newer chassis and all that. Our previous one was a 2007 gasser and we went back to diesel.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

We went through that thought process. We created a spreadsheet with the costs of going both ways. We were going to go smaller so the cost delta was not too much. It ended up we were much better financially to keep the one we have than to sell it and go newer. We have just had the sidewalls replaced at Newmar and repainted, and we will continue to upgrade the interior. We have replaced the TVs and next is the replacement of the curtains. We will do the flooring at some point.

With the outside redone, we are not going to worry about the 10 year rules. We have only been to one RV park with that rule, and it was a joke anyway with really run down RVs all over the place. We have just decided that our coach is a 2009 model - it really does look like a new coach.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We kept our first coach for 11 years, it was a Class C and wanted something bigger. We found a really nice 2002 Monaco Windsor in late 2008. It was a repo unit that we found it Florida. It had been taken care of and has held up well. Fortunately we paid 1/2 of what it was worth at the time and is still worth ~75% of what we paid for it.

We have had to replace some things also, some normal wear/tear and some failure. No matter what, if you do the proper maintenance on a DP it will still cost $$$ to have one.

Unless we win the lottery this will be our last big rig, I retired at 55 and will not use any of my retirement funds to buy a coach that will eventually depreciate to essentially nothing. I would consider selling the current coach and downsizing to something we can pull.

FWIW. change your batteries, at +12 years old I'd say they are toast. I had to change ours at 10 years and probably waited too long.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It really depends on what you want and are willing to pay for. I am among the folks that believe if you have a quality coach with good bones and are happy with your floor plan and its essential features, you are better off doing upgrades and maintenance on it than buying something new/er. We have upgraded furniture, TV's and other interior stuff for far less than we would ever spend on a new coach with all the latest features and décor.

If the running gear is in good shape and you have maintained the coach properly, it should last many more years. You did mention wanting a different sleeping set up for your grand kids so that may be an issue important enough that you want to look at something else.

I'm also a believer that if you can afford it, you should buy what you really want. Life is short.

Take a look at what's out there. It is fun shopping and looking.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If it runs good and you have taken care of it, it doesn't need replacing. We ran our 1991 Beaver Marquis for 19 years and 155,000 miles. Sold it to a friend who put 30,000 more on it before he passed away. We are now living full time in a 2004 Monaco with 101,00 miles and will be taking it to Alaska this summer. With proper care this one will outlive me.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, all! Very valid points! We've also replaced TV's and such along the way, but we are happy with the decor and floorplan.....other than lacking space for grandchildren......which wouldn't be with us too frequently anyway, I guess.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

We are different. We like vintage,.......well EVERYTHING. Vintage, but in "as new" condition. We also don't like payments. We buy everything for cash (even property/houses, etc.).

We just purchased 1995 Vogue with 100K on the clock. We wanted Prevost, but we didn't have enough cash on hand. This Vogue will easily outlive me (I'm 60 yo). Maintained to the "T", and in "as new" condition.

We don't have to have "the latest, and the greatest", and we like older stuff better. Oh,.....we also LOVE boondocking, and HATE RV parks ("10 year" rule doesn't concern us).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PrimaVista.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	119521  
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a DP owner, but had talked to some who indicate from 12 to 18 months before they can no longer be finance by a bank.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am one of those who likes the "older" models that were extremely well built and just need some updating.

That is why I have the 2002 HR Navigator. For what I have into her financially, there is no way I could touch something even close to what I now have for the same money.

She is pretty much fully updated throughout with new tiled shower, new electronics, new counters, new kitchen, new hardware, new shocks, LED Lights all around, brand new tires, new ultra leather upholstery on everything, an excellent S1 Chassis, 500 HP Cummins Diesel, along with some other goodies, etc.

I would keep what you have and just keep improving it more and more!

Have fun!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

I think about every 10 years at max as the other poster had stated the banks won't finance older than that which makes selling it very hard. Then on top of that technology advances a lot in 10 years which is nice to have. Plus changing floor plans some times is a refresh in the Rv experience J.m.o
Old 02-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #12

Don't know what shape your coach is in, but you may be disappointed in a mid entry level coach like a Fleetwood Excursion or Thor Palazzo. We just traded up to a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery from an Excursion and really love the improvements. Both the Excursion and Palazo can have drop down bunks, and they are nice. But we went with a discovery bunkhouse since we will always be bringing our daughter with us.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another question to consider is, since your say your GK's are getting older, just how much longer are they going to want to travel with you? There does come a time when they have activities of their own & aren't interested in tagging along with G'ma & G'pa anymore. I wouldn't suggest getting a coach with the drop down overhead bed just to fill what may be a "sometimes" short-term need. If you want to upgrade, be sure it's what you can live with after they're no longer interested.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
I am one of those who likes the "older" models that were extremely well built and just need some updating.

That is why I have the 2002 HR Navigator. For what I have into her financially, there is no way I could touch something even close to what I now have for the same money.

She is pretty much fully updated throughout with new tiled shower, new electronics, new counters, new kitchen, new hardware, new shocks, LED Lights all around, brand new tires, new ultra leather upholstery on everything, an excellent S1 Chassis, 500 HP Cummins Diesel, along with some other goodies, etc.

I would keep what you have and just keep improving it more and more!

Have fun!
We upgraded to a 2006 HR Navigator in Oct of last year and we just love it. It will be our last coach. It's in great shape, had only 41,400 miles on it and has the floor plan we wanted. We will simply replace anything that needs replacing-fridge, TVs etc. we've looked at new rigs and realized we simply can't get the quality that we have with our 06 without breaking the bank!!!

Enjoy your Navigator!!!

Tags
ace, class a, diesel, replace