Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #1

Where can I find a shop that I can get a clear bra installed on my 2004 Gulfstream?

We just bought a 2004 GULFSTREAM atrium and had the front polished out and clear coated now I would like to find someone in the Phoenix AZ area that would be able to install a 3M clear bra. Does anybody know of a shop that can do this in the area?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

I'm sure any of the larger RV dealers have a source. First time I've heard about anyone wanting to put that film on, I'm in the process of trying to get mine off!
Since yours is freshly painted I would allow ample time for the paint to cure before putting any film over it. Unless that paint was oven cured it will continue to gas off for awhile depending on the type of paint used. You don't want to trap that under the film prematurely.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you do a search on the forum for others opinion, but most are pretty negative for the clear bras. They start looking bad pretty quickly and are an absolute pain to remove.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

I thank you for your input and I agree with you in that if I were to keep the coach in the high temps of the desert then it is a bad idea, the sun will bake it on and make it impossible to remove. "But" we are bringing it back to Canada and the climate here is much milder and won't bake the film. I have the 3M film on my car and love it! Had to replace a section that got damaged and with a little heat came right off. I just don't want to get the new finish on our coach to get all marked up with rock chips and bug guts. I do not like the look of the black vinyl covers and over time they do more damage than good. The paint should be well cured by the time I pick it up as it has been sitting in sunny Arizona for a month so it should be cured by the time I would be putting on the 3M.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #5

I've had two........never again!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Fredrick's of Camping World
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I've had two........never again!
Please explain your reason for being negative on the shield. I would like to know.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do not know who installs the 3M shield in Phoenix.

I have told my story in several older threads about my experience with removing the 3M shield, the damage it caused to the motor home, and the cost to restore the front of the coach.

It is true that without a shield, the front of the coach becomes damaged with stone chips, etc. It has taken about five years for the front of our coach to have enough marks that I'm finally getting out the touch up paint. Most of our Manitoba highways have gravel shoulders, so there's always a stone hitting the front of the vehicle. I always hope that it doesn't hit the windshield, ... again! Another three or four years, and I may prep the front of the coach and put on a new coat of paint. Based on my experience, this approach is a lot easier to maintain, and a lot less money and effort than working with the shield.

The next coach we buy, if it has the 3M shield, I'm offering a couple of thousand less as reimbursement to remove the 3M shield and repair/repaint the front of the coach.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Please explain your reason for being negative on the shield. I would like to know.
It's a great concept.........if it didn't turn yellow and crack into a million little seperate peices about the size of a match head that is all but impossible to remove without repainting the part that was "protected". Look at a older mh on a dealers lot with it. Trust what the others are saying, don't do it. I've had a real bra with no problems. I have a body shield by Summit and really lik it the best.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

Well I guess I'll just forget the clear bra and check into the vinyl bra.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Well I guess I'll just forget the clear bra and check into the vinyl bra.

Thanks.
I prefer braless myself. Keep wax/sealant on it and you will be fine. Save the bra money for a touch up paint job in a few years.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #12

Has anyone tried this from Armorall?
I just bought two cans to try on the front of my toad. I will start by coating the front of the Mirrors and see how it works.

http://www.armorall.com/product-types/custom-shield/
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Go bra less and save the money for a professional touch up in 5-6 years you'll be much happier IMO the bra is ugly ( sorry those of you the like them ) and it causes damage that you'll have to repaint anyway .. Just give up , save all the money you'll spend on clear coat film , bras etc and repaint when needed
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Call Diamond Shield they have dealers throughout the US.
I have an 08 with 56,000 miles, and it still looks new.
Treat the diamond shield with 303 Protectant
every 6 weeks or so and it will look as good as mine.
Here is photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	53625  

Tags
gulfstream, install