Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an old 1988 Komfort MH that has seen it's last ride. Too bad too as it has a good motor (454), tranny and a good 7.5 KW Onan. The body is delaminating, the window frames are falling off, etc. What does one do with a MH after it goes this far?
Joe

JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an old 1988 Komfort MH that has seen it's last ride. Too bad too as it has a good motor (454), tranny and a good 7.5 KW Onan. The body is delaminating, the window frames are falling off, etc. What does one do with a MH after it goes this far?
Joe

Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
RV Salvage yards such as this one, buys them and sells the parts.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

For other geographic areas, try a Google search on the phrase "rv surplus".

If you indicate where you are located, someone may be able to point you to a place that is not well known (or has no web presence for Google to find).

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #5

You could put an ad in the local paper " Parting out old motorhome" and list the good items, generator, fridge, WH, furnace, etc. Once they are sold call a local junk yard and see if they will haul off the rest.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidMc:
For other geographic areas, try a Google search on the phrase "rv surplus".

If you indicate where you are located, someone may be able to point you to a place that is not well known (or has no web presence for Google to find). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I live in Bakersfield California. I have been doing some snooping for RV salvage in the area without much success so far. I will try surplus and keep looking.
Joe
Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #7

To expand on 1995Brave's suggestion:

Since you are in California, and the rig is a "motor vehicle" - - before you start, you may want to be certain the auto junk yard will take it after you have sold off the "good stuff".

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a campground 3 1/2 years ago. The previoius owner was more than a bit of a pack rat. I inherited 10 old travel trailers and couple of 5th Wheels. 8 of the 12 are still on property (hidden away though). I have tried to get them removed but, no one wants them.

I'm told the problem is that the labor to scrap them outweighs the value of the recyclable material. I'm sure a Motorhome must have plenty of value though, especially w/a generator, powertrain etc.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am running into the same issue here. As scrap there's not a lot of people interested. As an old shabby motorhome, there's not a lot of people interested, as a sum of it's parts, there may be some interest, but what do you do with the hulk after removing the parts that are wanted? The search continues.
Joe
Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I would hope that most motorhomes will last longer than 19 years. With good care, and preventative maintenance, these things should last a lot longer than a mere 20 years.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buckeyes:
I would hope that most motorhomes will last longer than 19 years. With good care, and preventative maintenance, these things should last a lot longer than a mere 20 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The people that I bought it from had some water leak issues and claimed to have fixed them. In truth they had covered over them. That caused the rear frame to rot out over the years. The delamination is something that Komfort was known for, only, not by me at the time. The rest is pure neglect due to wife and I at the time having issues and couple that with the Bakersfield sun and heat, you have a wreck. Running gear is good, every other aspect is not so good.
Joe
Old 12-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You might want to try and find a group of guys that race old motorhomes and see if they are intrested in it. I know I have see trailer races and bus, tractor, all kinds of things are raced today. Who knows you might even come up with you own NASCAR series!
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I don't remember the name, but there's an RV Salvage dealer (carries a lot of Fleetwood parts) near Riverside, California. It's just off I-10. I think it might actually be in Ontario, CA. You could probably do a search of the area or check Yellow pages.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Wizard and Bob, both interesting ideas and suggestions. Although I have yet to ask the question, I wonder what the towing bill would be if I had to get my old MH to Riverside/Ontario from Bakersfield? That's quite a jump.
Joe