Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do all my work outside on gravel, won't let anyone touch my RV due to incompetent workers and overpriced services. I know it's done right, cheaper, don't have to wait on others, look for potential problems; on good weather days. Everything's the same as a car, just larger & heavier. Many maint. items are easier due to more room to work on it.

Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
I do most of my work at home, in the garage or driveway, but I have worked a few other places.

I have changed the oil and filter at a State Park, no issues. I changed a driveshaft in the parking lot of the driveshaft shop. And I even pulled and reinstalled the transimission in a church parking lot.

More that the location it's the tools that make the work possible. I have a nice 6 drawer, deep, top toolbox in the basement. All the tools in it stay in the motorhome. So far I haven't been without the right tools to do what I have needed to do.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Although most campgrounds and RV parks do have in their rules that maintenance and repairs are not to be done on the site, as has been said, most places are pretty flexible as what they don't want is the place to appear junky with vehicles up on blocks for days on end and that kind of thing. Normal maintenance and repairs that can be done in short amount of time are usually overlooked.

After all, sometimes it's necessary. If the coach has some type of malfunction so it can't or shouldn't be moved and it's something that you or a mobile service person can work on, just about any RV park will allow work to be done on site. So how can they determine what is actually necessary to be done on site and what is maintenance that could be done somewhere else unless they are out there observing all the activity that's going on?

For instance, we had a mobile RV repair service out to replace hydraulic hoses to the rear slides as he said he could do it in one day on site and would clean up any mess that would be made. As he was working on the hydraulics, DH got under the coach and changed oil so they were both under there doing stuff. Who knew exactly what who was doing under there? If somebody from the RV park had come over and asked what was going on, all DH would have to say is that the coach could not be moved and repairs would be needed before we could pull up camp and he was under the coach just observing what the mechanic was doing.

But I don't think the RV park would have cared either way.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote