Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Where do you go to escape the Summer heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
All the boondocking you want:

BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

So, I'd really love to learn more about boondocking in BC because I hear such varying reports about it. I'm talking about boondocking here and not dry camping in developed parks. I understand non-Canadians are required to pay a daily fee? And I'm not clear Crown Land is as easy to navigate as BLM? Any info you can share?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #58

BC parks are very, very high price for essentially nothing. In 2006 we stayed at a couple and were charged $20C for an overgrown spot where the dump was not working and the water shut off with an official pollution notice posted nearby. They were VERY quick to send a park employee by to collect their fee, however.

Additional parks were not better and DW brought back a folder explaining that "The purpose of the parks was to generate revenue for the province". Not preserve natural resources, allow recreation opportunities, or any other reasonable use, generate money.

We haven't stayed at one since.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
Are FHU's available in the higher mountain elevations?
Absolutely. FHU (50 amp/water/sewer) is available at most high altitude locations.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
Vancouver Island, BC Canada. Dollar is 0.79 and it is beautiful, moderate temps, and typically sunny in July through mid September. Ferry from Anacortes, WA is half price for RVs, and the trip is worth the price. Victoria has many attractions, and there are good parks around the large island. West coast is breathtaking, but reserve early. Torino is a gem.

I'm sorry, since when has the Anacordes Ferry been half price for RVs?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
"Fare Information
Our fares are based on the route's geographical location, the length, width, and height of your vehicle, as well as the length of time you will be traveling on board our ferry. Fares are also calculated based on the age or disability of each passenger and are collected either for round trip travel or one-way travel, depending on the departure terminal. Note that seniors, persons with disabilities and passengers with a Medicare card, or other eligibility verification, are eligible for travel at half the regular passenger fare rate. As of Oct. 1 2011, fares listed include a Capital Surcharge of 25 cents per fare. General Fare Information will give you additional information about WSF Fares."

I suspect the 1/2 off is for passenger travel, not a vehicle. Could be a round-trip bargain for a one day visit.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I'm sorry, since when has the Anacortes Ferry been half price for RVs?
I don't know how long they have had the special rate to Victoria, but at least three years. It makes it cheaper than Port Angeles (Blackball) which is also a nice ferry ride but less scenic, and the BC Ferries from Tswassen, BC (also very scenic, but not as good as the Anacortes run). Since we live on Vancouver Island, ferrying the RV is something we just accept.
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
BC parks are very, very high price for essentially nothing. In 2006 we stayed at a couple and were charged $20C for an overgrown spot where the dump was not working and the water shut off with an official pollution notice posted nearby. They were VERY quick to send a park employee by to collect their fee, however.
Our experience with the BC Provincial Parks has been better. I believe that no BC Provincial Parks have power, but I could be wrong. Those that we have used (mostly on Vancouver Island) have no hookups, but do have dump stations, water available but not at your site, and nice large campsites. Some are not big-rig friendly, with low hanging limbs, but the larger BC Provincial parks can accommodate larger units. Some parks have online reservations. When we went to Banff, Alberta, the provincial parks had power!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Absolutely. FHU (50 amp/water/sewer) is available at most high altitude locations.
Thanks for the info Joe. While visiting the Tucson area this January, I thought about mountain stays during the summer months. I searched campgrounds in the Tucson area using "Allstays" and didn't have luck finding FHU campgrounds in that area.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info Joe. While visiting the Tucson area this January, I thought about mountain stays during the summer months. I searched campgrounds in the Tucson area using "Allstays" and didn't have luck finding FHU campgrounds in that area.
For those of us who live at 7500 feet, the Tucson elevation of about 2390 feet doesn't quite qualify as "higher mountain elevation".

Here's a beautiful place, in Creede, CO, at an elevation of about 8840 feet:

http://www.mountainviewsrv.com/rv-park.html

One of our favorite places, and in the summer, most of the folks there are from TX and AZ to escape the heat.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
For those of us who live at 7500 feet, the Tucson elevation of about 2390 feet doesn't quite qualify as "higher mountain elevation".

Here's a beautiful place, in Creede, CO, at an elevation of about 8840 feet:

RV Park

One of our favorite places, and in the summer, most of the folks there are from TX and AZ to escape the heat.
Thank you Joe for the information on Mountain View. Great looking CG. Can you give me an idea of average daytime high and night time low temperatures June through August at Mountain View?
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you Joe for the information on Mountain View. Great looking CG. Can you give me an idea of average daytime high and night time low temperatures June through August at Mountain View?
Daytime temps will run from about 70 - 80, with overnight temps dropping to around 40. Pretty nice overall.

If you like fishing, the Rio Grande River runs right by the campground, and there are dozens of lakes nearby. Johnny Depp and company filmed part of "The Lone Ranger" in Creede, staging their equipment across the street from the campground when we were there.

There is lots of history in Creede, many places to hike, and the Creede Repertory Theater productions are recognized as one of the best in the US.

Creede Repertory Theatre | Creede Repertory Theatre

And, of course, there is lots of shopping, with artist studios, antiques, and other shops lining the main street.

Have fun if you decide to spend some time in Creede.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #68

Nothing beats the Pacific Northwest in the summer time. In the Portland/Seattle area, on occasion, I've experienced a high of 68dgs on July 4 while the rest of the country is sweltering.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

'97 MACA (Shurley)
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
I don't know how long they have had the special rate to Victoria, but at least three years. It makes it cheaper than Port Angeles (Blackball) which is also a nice ferry ride but less scenic, and the BC Ferries from Tswassen, BC (also very scenic, but not as good as the Anacortes run). Since we live on Vancouver Island, ferrying the RV is something we just accept.

Just did Anacordes Ferry (WSF) las summer with our 38 ft mh and it definitely was not half fare. We were able to make it somewhat less expensive by disconnecting the toad and paying separately. Maybe as stated above the half off is for passenger service not vehicle?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Just did Anacordes Ferry (WSF) las summer with our 38 ft mh and it definitely was not half fare. We were able to make it somewhat less expensive by disconnecting the toad and paying separately. Maybe as stated above the half off is for passenger service not vehicle?
The last time we used the Anacortes ferry was April, so I can't comment on the summer price. Were you going to Victoria or to the smaller USA islands?