Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #15

I have filled from mountain streams, lakes etc when in the wilderness. I carry a pump for that. I always put bleach in with the water by pouring some in the hose before connecting the end to the RV. But never drink it without additional purifying if I really need that water to drink. I have boiled unknown quality water for drinking many times when no other trusted source water existed.
Having camped in the wilderness since I was a kid and have been on several survival courses while in the military, (summer bush, winter bush, arctic and desert) one learns the survival essentials, you don't just read the books, you "walk the walk" and keeping hydrated and healthy is essential for doing other survival tasks.

Purification tabets have been around for a long time and I do carry these, and most certainly carried them when I was travelling to places such as India and other unhealthy places where one could never be certain of what was even coming from the taps. Tablets do have an expiry date so they must be replentished accordingly and as a kid I learned how to make a filter from birch bark and fill it with charcoal from a campfire to filter water but back 65-70 years ago, many water sources were pristine without polution and fast running water was often deemed safe.

Generally all city water sources in the US and Canada would be deemed potable. I have filled from service stations and even from strangers houses, country stores etc. I have asked people where I can get some good water and I am always willing to pay for a fillup but have only paid a couple of times.

So generally, one can fill up with water almost anywhere. It has never been an issue for me in more than 50 years of RVing or about 65 years of camping.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
I had been thinking about this also. Am planning longer trips and have not done any boondocking yet. What I was thinking is, once I determin how long a tank of fresh water would last I would then plan to stay after that in a campground to dump, get good shoers and refill with fresh water.
Planning a 2 day drive trip next week and located camping world locations that allow overnight parking for free each way. I know they allow free dumping so I assume they have fresh water available.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We get drinking water even in campgrounds from a distillation unit. We have a gallon distiller that flashes the water to steam and then catches it on a condensation coil. It discharges it through a charcoal filter to help with the taste. I consider it the best way to get filtered water. The unit we have can make up to 6 gallons a day.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #18

Where do you take on water, besides a campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
I have been lucky in several instances that I was able to get a water load at the LOWES garden area. Just went in and asked the garden manager if I could use the hose....I put my in line filter on the hose and filled up my tank. Did this at 5 different Lowes thus far ... great bunch of people.
Be sure to let water from (non potable hose) to run for awhile to drain any yuckies.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
We get drinking water even in campgrounds from a distillation unit. We have a gallon distiller that flashes the water to steam and then catches it on a condensation coil. It discharges it through a charcoal filter to help with the taste. I consider it the best way to get filtered water. The unit we have can make up to 6 gallons a day.

We have one of those as well. I use the distilled water for the iron, steam mop and radiators in the vehicles etc. Distilled water is only $1 a gallon at the supermarket but I got the distiller for $1 at a garage sale so I don't feel so bad.

The Pur water pitcher that we have had forever is just fine for us for drinking water. We drank straight out of the hose as kids and didn't have a problem yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
We have one of those as well. I use the distilled water for the iron, steam mop and radiators in the vehicles etc. Distilled water is only $1 a gallon at the supermarket but I got the distiller for $1 at a garage sale so I don't feel so bad.

The Pur water pitcher that we have had forever is just fine for us for drinking water. We drank straight out of the hose as kids and didn't have a problem yet.
OK now I am jealous. I can assure you I paid a tad bit more than a dollar for ours. You were very lucky.

This is a story for those of you who remember life before round bales of hay. When I was a kid we used to haul hay. On the way from the hay field to the barn we had to drive on a small country road. When they made the road it opened up a small underground stream. The water came out of the ground on one side of the road and entered the ground on the other. After a few hours in the sun loading bales of hay we would stop before we crossed the stream and get a drink. Ice Cold water and was one of the best things I have ever drank. Now with the run offs from fields or chicken fertilizer getting in the water supply I would not even think of doing that again.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #21

Quote:
OK now I am jealous. I can assure you I paid a tad bit more than a dollar for ours. You were very lucky.

This is a story for those of you who remember life before round bales of hay. When I was a kid we used to haul hay. On the way from the hay field to the barn we had to drive on a small country road. When they made the road it opened up a small underground stream. The water came out of the ground on one side of the road and entered the ground on the other. After a few hours in the sun loading bales of hay we would stop before we crossed the stream and get a drink. Ice Cold water and was one of the best things I have ever drank. Now with the run offs from fields or chicken fertilizer getting in the water supply I would not even think of doing that again.
I knew it was a good deal but not how much 'till I googled it. It is this one:

Tuttnauer 9000 1 Gallon Water Distiller

The best water I have ever imbibed was from an ice cold mountain stream in the Adirondacks. down here in FL, I would never even imagine putting any of the running water in my body. The natural springs would be an exception of course.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Totally off topic, but humans are destroying this planet, and it saddens me every time I think about it.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Totally off topic, but humans are destroying this planet, and it saddens me every time I think about it.
we should all do our part to save the world and trade our rigs for prius'! LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
we should all do our part to save the world and trade our rigs for prius'! LOL

That is too funny! I didn't even pick up on that hypocrisy!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not totally off topic. The topic was about where to get drinking water and I was pointing out why I do not put a pump in streams to pump it into my tank.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Not totally off topic. The topic was about where to get drinking water and I was pointing out why I do not put a pump in streams to pump it into my tank.
Hey I'm on YOUR side of this one, literally, humans are destroying the planet....
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Hey I'm on YOUR side of this one, literally, humans are destroying the planet....
Sorry, I'm not on your side. Humans vs planet my money is on the planet. Of all the conservation practices we have employed in the last twenty years it's sad to see people paint farmers with a broad brush. PS most of those field tiles are cleaner than when you were a kid. Your just smarter than you were back then.

Tags
campground, water