Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the McGuires detail & shine regularly. When in a Campground that allows washing I try to do the roof at least 1 or 2 times a year. Even if I do use soap and water I still end up using the dry wash to remove the water spots. The dry wash also comes with a wax in it. I use this also but it does not do as good of a job as a good hand or electric buffer and good wax.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #16

Blue Beacon +1
They are frequently located next to a drive thru truck lube joint like Speedco, so you can kill two birds.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #17

Danny's truck wash and scales does a total MH wash and dry for $1.50/foot. Haven't tried them, but may if mine gets really dirty.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
you might try Dri Wash N Guard. I have been using it on boats and the MH for over a decade.

We apply it 2x per year to the entire rig. Unless you have mud and gravel stuck to the rig, applying the Dri Wash product will count as a wash event. Spray it on. Wipe to a haze. Then either buff it off by hand or with a polisher. It makes the surface very slippery and provides UV protection. I have used it instead of wax.

In between wash events consist of a damp towel in one hand to remove dirt and a dry towel in the other hand to dry and polish the cleaned area.

Soap will remove the product, so car washes etc are not recommended. I do not use the product on my cars for that reason. But you may find a vendor at a car show.

So, I have washed off dust and road grime from my clear coated rig with just a wet towel and a dry towel while in a campground many times.

I do not sell the product. You can find it online.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pay close attention on the method that commercial truck washes use prior to letting them go to work!!
If they plan on using high pressure sprayers, they can peel your decals off your rig quick. If you have grout around windows the high pressure will dislodge any that is loose and you can end up witrh a leak.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpainter925 View Post
Hi, newly registered, but been looking for awhile. Is there a particular brand of dry wash folks recommend??
There are several good ones out there, I use The Solution on windows and windshield because it doesn't streak and repels water. On the paint I prefer "Wash Wax All" The results I have found to work extremely with our paint and color. The extendable pole and head is not cheap but is the best I have found as far as use and ease. I don't use a ladder and that makes the pole worth every dime. It also has a little soft scrubber that is great at removing the bugs over the windshield that I would not take anything for! This to me is the hardest and most dangerous place to keep clean IMHO! I did not believe in this "snake oil"junk until my friend showed me how and what to trust and now I'm sold on it. When I'm waiting on the DW to go some where I grab a rag and a little squirt bottle and in ten minutes can wash a fourth of the coach! Throw the stuff in the basement and we're off to dinner! Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
gtpainter925 - run a google search on dry wash and several products should come up. I have been using Dri Wash N Guard with good results.
Bob
Same here. Even did ours in full sun in Yuma (including the windshield) one year while there with no problem.
Yes, I used to be a distributor for them but gave it up years ago. Still use the product though, just don't sell it anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #22

Thanks for the tip Larry. I'll definitely check before I let them do mine.

X2 on the Wash Wax All. I called the company and they said it did contain a UV protectant. A lot of airplane guys uses it.

I already had two telescopic poles and made a micro-fiber cover for the brush that was on one to dry it and diaper on the other to apply it.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #23

What about wash wax all's effect on the coach's decals? My manual says no wax of any kind on them.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #24

Headed south next week for the Good Sam Rally and I plan on getting the MH washed at "Blue Beacon" on I75. I will let you know how they did once it is washed...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
What about wash wax all's effect on the coach's decals? My manual says no wax of any kind on them.
I know 303 Protectant made the decals on my truck curl up. Replaced them and haven used anything on them. I don't think Wash Wax All would harm decals. It sure doesn't make the finish shine like Meguiar's does. It's probably no stronger than the spray wax you get at car washes.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Headed south next week for the Good Sam Rally and I plan on getting the MH washed at "Blue Beacon" on I75. I will let you know how they did once it is washed...

Just so you are forewarned, there is a legitimate reason why all too many, myself included, call Blue Beacon, "Streakin Beacon". They rely too much on acid based chemicals and high pressure to clean a rig rather than good old fashioned soap, mops/hand mitts and water. Rarely do they ever get that fine layer of road film crud truly washed off. Any high polished aluminum, stainless steel, paint and even decals are subject to being faded and streaked. If you do use Blue Beacon, watch the like a hawk. When they are done, pull out of the wash bay, let your rig drip dry a bit. Wipe your hand or whatever down a few areas looking for that film of crud they normally leave behind. Remember they are relying on volume business more so than quality.

As far as commercial washes go, the best are out west. Any of the Danny's Big Rig Resorts around Phoenix do a great job. In California, the Little Sister's Truck & RV washes do outstanding work. The Barstow location on Lenwood Road is my favorite. There are several others throughout Cali., Oregon, and Nevada under dif. names that do a good service. All of them rely on good old fashioned soap, mops and hand mitts, and a little extra time to get a rig truly show stopping clean.

Also, both Danny's and Little Sister's have detail services the will wax do a great wax job on painted surfaces, cut a mirror polish in aluminum, or bring out the best in stainless steel.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
As far as commercial washes go, the best are out west. Any of the Danny's Big Rig Resorts around Phoenix do a great job.

Also, both Danny's and Little Sister's have detail services the will wax do a great wax job on painted surfaces, cut a mirror polish in aluminum, or bring out the best in stainless steel.
Danny's = $1.50/foot, and they do the roof. My little ole 32'er would be $48.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Danny's = $1.50/foot, and they do the roof. My little ole 32'er would be $48.

Danny's truly does a great job! They really will soap and brush wash the roof! All a Blue Beacon will do to a roof is spray a bit of water on it having whatever is up there streak down the sides.

I'm not bashing Blue Beacon. There reputation in "streak'n speaks for itself.