Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgey View Post
On our Damon I decided to get the roof antenna working, tge cabling was all disconnected. Sussed out the cables and connected to tv, no picture, connected via box of many buttons, like that description, and all working, well after finding and reconnecting the 12 volt feed for the box of..., so our boost function must be built in, there is no boost face plate in the coach, and I've had the whole tv area apart as we upgraded the tv, added sound bar, blue ray etc etc

If you have 12 volt to the box of many buttons, try disconnecting it and retry your cable connection. Logically any power feed wont be required for function, it's a simple switching box, just in theory the antenna boost.
I tend to agree, that the booster must be, as you said, in the box. I was looking all over yesterday and still, did not find any booster button. I didn't check any 12 volt connections, but there might (must?) be one. However, I am at home now and do not have access to any cable TV connection, as in a park. I will check again, when I renew my travels. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You proved it.. There is a light on the box of many buttons.. On the far left the 1st button in the row is marked POWER. this supplies power to both the antenna head amplifier and to the MODULATER for DVD playback.

Also, since you have that box. the park manager is WRONG, you do NOT need to turn it off. You need to select cable.

Good chance you have a bad cable or bad cable connector. They seem to use a lot of "Lowest Bidder" when they make our houses.. I've seen the specs for Belden's cheapest and they are bad.. Lowest bidder... Is worse (Belden also makes some darn good cable by the way).

Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You proved it.. There is a light on the box of many buttons.. On the far left the 1st button in the row is marked POWER. this supplies power to both the antenna head amplifier and to the MODULATER for DVD playback.

Also, since you have that box. the park manager is WRONG, you do NOT need to turn it off. You need to select cable.

Good chance you have a bad cable or bad cable connector. They seem to use a lot of "Lowest Bidder" when they make our houses.. I've seen the specs for Belden's cheapest and they are bad.. Lowest bidder... Is worse (Belden also makes some darn good cable by the way).
You know, I thought my problems might have been a bad cable or connector, because when I connected a spare cable, to the park cable and ran the spare through my driver's window, straight to the box of many buttons, I got a decent picture! So I'll forget about the booster button and try to fix the cable problem. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the previous post you seem to have hit upon the answer. The box of many buttons is just a simple distribution box. I am not going to say I am certain of this but I believe the RF signal amplifier is on the antenna. Once again I am of the opinion that the Distribution box has 12 volt power applied to it from the coach. When you turn it on it supplies this 12volts through the coax cable to the antenna. I base that on If I remember correctly I measured 12vdc once on the antenna coax coming into the box. I also did something not too intelligent and put my signal strength detector between the antenna coax and the distribution box. It has not worked since. I noticed on poster said there was a modulator in the distribution box for the DVD player. I am not sure what model they have. I have a winegard distribution box and it only has coax cable inputs and outputs. IF you were going to hook up a DVD to it then the DVD has to have a coax output which means it has a modulator built in or if you don't have coax outputs from the DVD player you would have to have a modulator take the RCA or HDMI output and convert that to RF and feed the RF into the distribution box with coax. I am fairly certain mine does not have a modulator but there are a lot of different models out there.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some have the modulator some do not. The box is switching and distribution and power for the antenna.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The box for TV coax distribution will look like this and first button on far left is for your ANT amplifier.
To use your campground cable supply the first button needs to be depressed and the red led, if you look closely, will go of and Jack Ant amp will be shut off and you would receive a quality picture from the campground cable system.
If you do not have this type box than your amp outlet is behind all the stuff and mounting panel you see in picture.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on "my antenna booster". First, let me thank all of you that chose to help me find the booster. Today, I spent a lot of time looking and thinking. Based on information from you guys, I am of the opinion that I do not have an antenna booster. I do have the "box of many buttons", but it does not have any red led lights. It does have the 12V power supply though. Something wa8xym said, got me thinking. Why should I believe the camp host (about turning off my booster)? Then I started thinking that, my troubles could possibly lie with a bad, I house cable or connection (thanks wa8xym). So, I ran a long, coax cable, from one of my TV's, out to the RV and connected it to the box.....excellent picture. I then connected the cable to my outside park cable connection.......snowy picture. Hmmmmm. I then edited the connection (a phrase I learned from Terry 735001, the brilliant guy rebuilding a burned out RV, on this site), and "Walla!" I had a clear, beautiful picture! Now, why didn't I think of that?

So, long story short, I don't have an antenna booster that I can turn off/on, but I now have a good picture, on cable! Whew! I'm winded!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Some have the modulator some do not. The box is switching and distribution and power for the antenna.
I do not know about other boxes I just am pretty sure but not positive that mine does not have one. I assume that the ones that have modulators built in have RCA jacks or HDMI jacks to attach devices to. If all it has is coax cables then I would not see why it would need a modulator since all the inputs are going to be RF anyway.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #23

I have a boost switch I found when cleaning out the previous owners stuff...now I just need to find out what exactly it does...
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
I have a boost switch I found when cleaning out the previous owners stuff...now I just need to find out what exactly it does...
With me, all my questions started when I couldn't get the park's cable, without a lot of snow. I called the camp host, and was told to turn off my antenna booster. As I understand it, the booster causes interference with the cable reception. Turning it off supposedly clears up the picture. If you do not have a problem, getting park cable, then I wouldn't worry about the booster.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
With me, all my questions started when I couldn't get the park's cable, without a lot of snow. I called the camp host, and was told to turn off my antenna booster. As I understand it, the booster causes interference with the cable reception. Turning it off supposedly clears up the picture. If you do not have a problem, getting park cable, then I wouldn't worry about the booster.
However if you want OTA signals the antenna boost is a must for many RV antennas to work.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
gripper, I think you said you have a JACK ANT , on the ant you will see a red led on when its supplied power for its amplifier, if its not using the one supplied with it, than 12v's is coming from the ANT Boost you have been looking for.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I think you might have been given some bad advice - assuming you have some sort of switching device in your coach that allows a choice between antenna and cable connections? When the "cable" choice has been selected, the "antenna" wiring (powered by the booster) is no longer in the circuit/connected to the TV. The switching device is disconnecting that wiring, and connecting the wiring where the "cable" has been connected.

Also, our factory installed Wineguard "booster" has no LED on it. There is a switch, but judging by it's location and the fact it's so poorly marked, I think the thought behind it is that it's just left in the "on" position semi-permanently?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2026799]gripper, I think you said you have a [B][URL="http://www.kingcontrols.com/jack/digital_tv_signal_finder.asp
JACK ANT [/URL][/B] , on the ant you will see a red led on when its supplied power for its amplifier, if its not using the one supplied with it, than 12v's is coming from the ANT Boost you have been looking for.
op has a jack antenna on roof and working. that is clear to me that he has a booster, either made by winegard or king controls (they look a little different; winegard calls it "signal booster", king controls calls it "power injector"). prior to installing mine, i broke jack apart just to look at the internal connections, prompting me to insert a rubber o-ring to each and every connector for weather proof; and played with it with and without booster. i know for sure, the jack requires a booster to feed power (you cannot connect 12v to the cable directly). that being said, a 99% chance he has a booster (just don't want to say anything ABSOLUTE, but you get the point ).

Tags
antenna