Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #15

I went to Southern States and purchased a 5 gallon blue plastic kerosene container with a long spout. Now when I'm filling up with diesel in the truck lanes I fill the blue container with DEF. When camped I use the container to fill the onboard DEF tank as needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Commercial Member

JohnBoyToo: Sounds like your truck is similar to ours: 2013 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 DRW also Black Metallic. We've just turned over 17,500 mi, 2/3 of it at GVWR of 14K. Problem Free So Far! Only 2 oil changes and coolant purity check per the information system and one tire rotation. We get about 13 MPG Diesel/500 MPG DEF with 5K Arctic Fox in the bed, and 19 MPG Diesel/1200 MPG DEF unloaded (both on the level with cruise control set at 65). Is your experience similar towing? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Yes, poor implementation in having the DEF tank fill on the passenger side.
You are correct, but with the side radiator and the requirement that the DEF tank must be near the Afterburner Spartan had little options. I spoke to a Spartan Enfineer at the Tampa supershow. They are aware of the problem.

[/Quote] What I do is carry a few 1 gallon jugs and fill with DEF while at the pump getting diesel. When the DEF levels drop, I dump the containers in the tank and at my next fuel stop, fill them up again so I have a fresh supply.[/QUOTE]

Great idea. I'm thinking of carrying an empty 2-1/2 gallon DEF box. Thanks

Dan
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarDEF View Post
JohnBoyToo: Sounds like your truck is similar to ours: 2013 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 DRW also Black Metallic. We've just turned over 17,500 mi, 2/3 of it at GVWR of 14K. Problem Free So Far! Only 2 oil changes and coolant purity check per the information system and one tire rotation. We get about 13 MPG Diesel/500 MPG DEF with 5K Arctic Fox in the bed, and 19 MPG Diesel/1200 MPG DEF unloaded (both on the level with cruise control set at 65). Is your experience similar towing? Thanks!
I have a 2014 F350 crew cab 4x4 also. The 19 MPG about where I m at unloaded. I pull heavy trailer at times more like 11 MPG loaded. I only have 2000 miles on this one. I traded in a 2011 same model & motor. I had 95,000 miles on it. Never had any problems with it. Now the 2008 F 350 with the 6.4 motor wouldn't pass a gas station. But even with the 6.4 motor I never had any major issues in the 90,000 miles I put on it.

Russell
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
You are correct, but with the side radiator and the requirement that the DEF tank must be near the Afterburner Spartan had little options. I spoke to a Spartan Enfineer at the Tampa supershow. They are aware of the problem.

What I do is carry a few 1 gallon jugs and fill with DEF while at the pump getting diesel. When the DEF levels drop, I dump the containers in the tank and at my next fuel stop, fill them up again so I have a fresh supply.[/QUOTE]

Great idea. I'm thinking of carrying an empty 2-1/2 gallon DEF box. Thanks

Dan[/QUOTE]

I had picked up a couple 1 gallon DEF jugs at a station in N.C. last year when I was getting low on our first trip with the new MH. They came with good ,long, flexible nozzles so I saved them. They fit nicely into the pegboard compartment. I generally keep the DEF tank pretty full, so having the 2 gallons works fine
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FiveStarDef"......again, great info on DEF. Kind of like everything you ever wanted to know. I've looked at tailpipes that are running DEF and you can eat off of them. I'm knew to a diesel using DEF and don't have a problem with the extra work or cost. From what I understand, using the new DEF systems lets the engine manufacturers allow the engines to perform and then clean up the emissions afterward.

Question....Have you seen any locations selling the metal collared plastic tanks or is there a specific name for them so a search can be done?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Dutch Star Don: You must be a night owl like me...I'm tapping away on the laptop on a consulting job at 1130 PM and find late nights in AZ very productive. Always a good time to answer a DEF question here on IRV2!!

Thanks for the kind words about Five Star DEF!!! We appreciate it. Agree that Clean Diesels are incredibly clean, and after treatment has renewed the torque and HP wars at manufacturers without killing fuel consumption. If my research and analysis of the clean diesel industry is halfway right, we can all look forward to an ECU reflash in the near future that will increase DEF dosing to 4% of fuel, reduce active regens, further reduce power killing EGR, and add 10% torque/HP. And still meet EPA2010 protocols. No guarantees, but it seems very feasible.

Here is what I know about magnetic interlock nozzles:

1. They are starting to appear on DEF pumps at Truck Stops and other Bulk DEF dispensing locations. The primary reason is that there is continued growth in newer EPA2010 Heavy truck sales and DEF usage (projected 350+ million gallons of DEF in 2014). It is quite easy to dispense DEF in the diesel tank by mistake. This is an expensive mistake (think about disposing of 30 or 40 gallons of Hazardous Waste created by a diesel/DEF mixture, not to mention down time on the truck). Truck Leasing companies like Penske that consume a lot of DEF and need to have error free service centers drive a lot of the equipment providers to make improvements. Expect ALL DEF pumps to have the interlock system soon - making it harder on users to dispense DEF into Reusable Jugs for reserve use on our vehicles.

2. The "system" I'm familiar with is by OPW and is called 21Gu. It is a Nozzle for the pump, and a collar for the tank that the nozzle fits thru. The nozzle and collar together lists for around $640. The 21Gu collar is around $29 (see picture) There is a knockoff on Northern Tool (nozzle AND collar) for around $359. I'm not exactly sure yet how it works, but I'll likely buy a set soon to figure it out and come up with a way to make a less expensive device suited to our line of reusable DEFJUGs and other jugs that are used for reserve DEF. I'll also reach out to our network of industry contacts to see if there any other solutions on the market. The 21Gu would probably work with just about any jug. Sometimes they are available for borrowing at truck stops, but this practice may get shut down buy DEF overseers (DEF producers, API, DEF Equipment Manufacturers).

3. There are a LOT of petroleum equipment manufacturers jumping on the DEF revenue wagon with better mousetraps. Some of them are very good, and some of them are a solution searching for a problem. My take on the magnetic interlock is that is a good thing, but mostly for heavy trucks.

Regards,

Erich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21Gu.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	58132  
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought the 2&1/2 gal jugs at Napa yesterday in Red Bay, Al. for $11.92 a jug with the tax. It was $10. something before tax.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Erich.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Hadn't thought of filling the DEF in my Silverado at a truck stop. Good idea. I only need 5 gallons. Assume it works just like a gas pump?
You will need a funnel(pretty sure)also the DEF tank has no air bleed so when it is all most full it will puke out the DEF tube. Stupid idea on GMs part. The vans have it next to the gas cap. Good idea.