Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Question Where to find hoses and what do we do about TV?

Ok so we are brand new to motorhomes and we have a 'new to us' 1989 Mallard Sprinter. My husband is a 'retired' mechanic and is doing a complete fluid swap, a water pump and all belts and hoses......but we are having a hard time finding a place to get the hoses. We live in Southern California and his regular 'stomping grounds' to find parts really can't help him out. Where should he be looking for parts that won't take forever to get here and won't cost us an arm and a leg. Also, there is a hook up for a TV but we are not sure which is the best choice as well as do we get satellite, use existing wifi (if available) and get a smart TV and hook up our ROKU when we travel....really don't have any idea!!!! Any advice would be appreciated!
mommyof3jkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! Do you know what chassis your RV is on and what size engine? (Ford, Chevy, etc.)

When you say there is hook up for TV, do you mean an outside jack for cable or just the over-the-air antenna? For satellite, you will need a satellite antenna and a receiver in your RV. ROKU or any streaming device will require high-speed internet and a good data plan. Most campgrounds have cable but you need to know whether your RV is wired for it.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hoses: IF you mean Engine hoses (Radiator, heater, fuel etc) the only suggestions I can make are parts stores.. Most of these are really standard automotive parts.

If you mean water/sewer Wal*Mart, any RV Store, and several other places. Sewer hoses you have a choice

3" most folks relly like the RinoFlex by Camco, it is a good hose, but,, Well, I have wore out two of 'em.. I switched to the Tethford Smart Hose.. now I like mine, but the reviews from others are very very mixed on this product.. That said I'm not using it right where I am now. (I have several different 3" hoses, and a different one fits perfectly where I am).

Some folks like the sewer solution which is a water powered macerator pump,, I do not like it because fresh water is something we are running out of and I do not like wasting it pumping waste

Others (Myself included when it's needed) have electrically operated macerator pumps.. This pumps waste into a 50' (in my case) black rubber garden hose (Standard hose 3/4 or 1") to a home made hole in the ground (Sewer inlet) adapter. Works great, pumps UP HILL i needed. Only uses a gallon or two of fresh water (To rinse when done)

Fresh water hose is a white hose Any RV source again.

Television:
several options: I normally use Over the Air, and in fact would be doing so here save park offers free cable (I do get some programming such as the one that is playing now over the air).

Standard RV antenna is a Winegard Sensar II or III, adding the WINGMAN adapter to it (Easy no tools or just a pair of standard pliars needed) improves the UHF performance (Important now days) Sensar IV already has this... Adding the Sensar PRO module indoors improves overall performance.. Without those mods almost no TV where Im parked (over the air) with them,, SOLID SIGNAL.

Satellite is expensive.. I can give you Sat-101 if you wish but will hold for now,, Most folks with Sat TV pay over 50/month, many over 100/month, and there is not 10.00/month worth of programming (In my opinion) That I do not get now.. IF you are a big time sports fan DirecTV is the way to go there. Dish has a decent sports lineup as well but DirecTV is big into sports.

Cable, either free or fee based, depends on the park.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wa8yxm gave you a very good rundown. I would like to add to one of the things he mentioned. He said fresh water hose as a white hose and i am sure that is always correct but to be on the safe side make sure the hose you get for Fresh water has a tag that says Potable water on it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If this is a chevy class A motorhome,The upper and lower radiator hoses are at Advance Auto parts. Ask for a P32 chevy motorhome chassis radiator hoses. The heater hoses are standard bulk hoses.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The trick for the engine "hoses" is to properly identify the chassis to the auto parts supplier. For an '89, it may be Ford, Chevy or Dodge and may be a derivative of a van or pick-up chassis or even a special "Class A motorhome chassis" like the Ford F53 or Chevy P32. The VIN may help identify that.

Do not assume that the hoses and belts are the same as a van or pick-up with the same engine. The cooling system, alternator, etc. or nearly always different.

I would suggest NAPA or CarQuest auto parts stores. Places like Advance and Autozone toften don't have parts info for medium duty chassis in their computer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mommyof3jkc,
If possible, take the current hoses/belts into the auto parts store of your choice and let them figure it out. Don't forget to put new clamps on the new hoses. Per previous posts, I'd have all the information possible to help the counter person. Some stores have a stock of hoses that is quite large and some don't carry many.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote