Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Where to fuel up towing a car on a dolly.

I'm curious about travelling cross country in a motorhome towing a vw jetta on a dolly. I know it would be really easy to pull in with a diesel as most gas stations off of the interstate are set up that way, but we are talking gas. Where do people fill up with gas when towing/not towing? Most off-the-highway gas stations seem pretty crowded and hard to manuever in. I appreciate the advice as I'm still in the market to buy and am really trying to think things through.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

Practice! Try to pick the outside position, 50 percent easier ;-)

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

When on the interstates we stop at truck stops,very easy to get in and out,very rv friendly. When out in the country you just have to kind of pick and choose your gas station,just go slow and look to see if it looks rv friendly. I damaged my motorhome once at a not so friendly gas station,never again,I hope. I don't care if it's crowded as long as it looks like I can get in and out with no problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

Use the outside lanes at the pumps, that would provide you more room to maneuver. Just watch out for the canopy overhead, though most have good clearance. There are also RV dedicated islands available at stations (Flying J is one example) that have gasoline & diesel pumps. I use them quite often and I'm about 65 feet in length. I'm purchasing diesel, but noticed the gasoline pumps there as well.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

We have the same challenge. So far we have done well at Costco but I think some might be tight. Many Safeways are OK too. We have stopped at truck stops a time or two with the tt and they can usually handle big rigs. The Chevron on our way out of town has lots of pumps and maneuver space. I just line up at the far right one so I have a straight shot out.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Our usual procedure is to find prospective fuel stops based on the fuel in the tank and miles traveled. We then go into Gas Buddy and find stations with reasonable prices considering any discounts we might have for particular stations or brands. Once this is done, we use Google Earth to view overhead as well as street views of candidate stations. Once we select 1-3 possible stations to use. We have been known to cruise by one or more of these stations to "scope out the place" and determine if we could reasonably expect to get in or out with a 43' motor home towing a full size pickup. Although we fuel all over the lower 48, Canada, and Alaska, we have only had to unhook at one station in over 170,000 traveling miles.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
With my 16ft trailer, I'm 50ft long with my gasser. Although I've never had a problem along the interstate, it's always best to scope out a station before committing and pulling in. We travel the interstates about 5000 mi a year. We use Pilot/FJ whenever possible. However, T/A, Loves and other "Travel Plazas" seem to always have enough room.

Where you will encounter a problem is at your standard "gas stations", especially off the interstate. That's where you really want to be sure of room before committing.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
I'm curious about travelling cross country in a motorhome towing a vw jetta on a dolly. I know it would be really easy to pull in with a diesel as most gas stations off of the interstate are set up that way, but we are talking gas. Where do people fill up with gas when towing/not towing? Most off-the-highway gas stations seem pretty crowded and hard to manuever in. I appreciate the advice as I'm still in the market to buy and am really trying to think things through.
That is Easy, picture pulling a 34 ft trailer with 37 ft motor home and maneuvering through fuel stations that aren't truck stops. LOL

Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Good Luck and have Fun.

Ted.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Most gas stations have plenty of room for your RV and toad. Use your mirrors and remember to make sure your past the pumps before making your turn to exit. As said in past posts, scope out the gas station before commiting to a pump. Good luck in your purchase. Happy RVing
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

We always keep the toad 1/2 or better on fuel. As my daughter-in-law says it's our life raft if we ever break down along the way.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm definitely having to run a lot of new considerations through my noggin.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look for the Flying J's those RV Islands also have propane and Lav dump facilities on the RV Islands. If I need the gas I look for the stations that have the pump parallel to the station so you just pull in and pull out. I do not like the ones where you pull toward the buildings! As far as the TOAD I keep the gass at or below the 1/2 tank due to keeping the weight I am pulling down to keep the gass milage lower over all. Yes it is a liferaft!

Hope these .02 cents help you.

Alan
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In our travels we have have not found a place where we could not get gas because of our tow rig. One time I had to unhook but it is a long story not worth the telling here.

Height of entry is the first thing I look for, then how do I get out, then which lane is best and on my exit pay attention to the wag of my tail on the MH those cement filled pipes guarding pumps have ruined many a good trip..

Be patient, plan ahead.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most gas stations along the interstate and freeways are RV friendly. Just check it before pulling in. I am almost 55 ft. long when towing my dolly and toad and have not had a problem yet.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, fuel, towing