Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 50
Where to get obsolete wood moldings from?

Have you folks just gone straight to a cabinet shop for damaged wood trim and crown moldings? I know I would definitely do that for a damaged cupboard but is there any other options people have tried for the other wood work? thanks
__________________

__________________
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mrb1ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Have you folks just gone straight to a cabinet shop for damaged wood trim and crown moldings? I know I would definitely do that for a damaged cupboard but is there any other options people have tried for the other wood work? thanks


Most cabinet shops can replicate moldings fairly easily. Take a piece with the correct shape(s) and you should be in business quickly. I made some for a friend using my home table saw and router. Pretty easy job.
__________________

__________________
Mrb1ll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Have you folks just gone straight to a cabinet shop for damaged wood trim and crown moldings? I know I would definitely do that for a damaged cupboard but is there any other options people have tried for the other wood work? thanks
You didn’t mention what coach or year. Older coaches will be very difficult to find something off the shelf. A cabinet shop can probably get you an exact match (price will reflect custom work). Lowes and Home Depot carry limited trim materials or you might have a molding shop locally that might be able to help you.

When I was doing some interior wood work, it was actually cheaper to upgrade my table saw and get another router than it was to hire a cabinet shop. And I still have the tools for future projects.

I have experimented with stains and finishes and am able to match my interior wood very close.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 42
I suggest a cabinet shop or even getting online and asking for a local wood worker in your area to create it. I had a home shop and would often do this for people in my spare time. I took it as a challenge and often didn't even charge for it.
__________________
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 544
We just picked up trim from Lowes. They had some nice oak but we used the fake trim.

Before and afterClick image for larger version

Name:	20170812_201855_resized.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	180666


Name:   received_1412406388867505.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  12.3 KB
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,349
I asked a local sawmill if they could make a custom molding for our 1997 Lazy Daze Class C. They have a Woodmaster molding machine; Woodmaster will make custom knives. I made the drawing for the knife. I believe it cost me $150 for the knife and $50 for the red oak. After staining and varnishing, it was hard to tell the difference between new and original.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
You didn’t mention what coach or year. Older coaches will be very difficult to find something off the shelf. A cabinet shop can probably get you an exact match (price will reflect custom work). Lowes and Home Depot carry limited trim materials or you might have a molding shop locally that might be able to help you.

When I was doing some interior wood work, it was actually cheaper to upgrade my table saw and get another router than it was to hire a cabinet shop. And I still have the tools for future projects.

I have experimented with stains and finishes and am able to match my interior wood very close.
Mine is an 04 Santara Grand 3710. That was the first year of the 37' model and by 2005 they had already dropped the "Grand" Every version of the big Santara seems to have different wood in it. Closer inspection of the damaged panel shows it is a cheap veneer but it has 8 channels cut into it so is beyond my own woodworking skills to replicate. I will remove and let a cabinet maker duplicate it. Thanks to all who responded.
__________________
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mrb1ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 205
Take photos of the piece with a ruler/yardstick laid next to the trim as follows:
Front (head on)
Back (again head on)
Ends with ruler showing the depth/thickness and width
Wood type
Whatever the manufacturer calls the finish along with the year and model

The more detail the better. Take photos outside (if possible) with the piece on flat black piece of cloth. Photos take in the first hour or so after sunrise will give a truer color. Take all from the same distance (i.e. 18”, 24”, or 36”) and then detailed close up from as close as you can get to have item nearly full frame. If solid wood (oak, maple, cherry, etc) please identify the species if known and if the grain is exposed.

Email to WPREDINGER@JUNO.COM

I will see if I can reproduce for you. Cost would be for materials and shipping. After seeing the photos I can give you a better idea as to cost. If a small piece of oak or cherry I may have the wood in my scrap/leftover pile. Finish is often the hardest to make match and may require you sending me the damaged piece or finishing yourself.

Mr B1LL
__________________
Mrb1ll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
Take photos of the piece with a ruler/yardstick laid next to the trim as follows:
Front (head on)
Back (again head on)
Ends with ruler showing the depth/thickness and width
Wood type
Whatever the manufacturer calls the finish along with the year and model

The more detail the better. Take photos outside (if possible) with the piece on flat black piece of cloth. Photos take in the first hour or so after sunrise will give a truer color. Take all from the same distance (i.e. 18”, 24”, or 36”) and then detailed close up from as close as you can get to have item nearly full frame. If solid wood (oak, maple, cherry, etc) please identify the species if known and if the grain is exposed.

Email to WPREDINGER@JUNO.COM

I will see if I can reproduce for you. Cost would be for materials and shipping. After seeing the photos I can give you a better idea as to cost. If a small piece of oak or cherry I may have the wood in my scrap/leftover pile. Finish is often the hardest to make match and may require you sending me the damaged piece or finishing yourself.

Mr B1LL
That is a very nice offer.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MH slideout corner moldings Mullis Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 12-20-2012 06:35 AM
Watch out for falling crown moldings hit the road Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 07-11-2012 04:50 PM
Loose Moldings RBK394 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 12-24-2011 10:04 AM
Finding replacement exterior moldings ? tekrsq Vintage RV's 2 05-23-2011 04:39 PM
Where to find new side trim /moldings antlerz MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 07-11-2007 09:32 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.