Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

Where to get weighed

Can anyone recommend a place to get individual wheel weights in the San Dimas, CA area?

It seems like most of the CAT scales have railings or raised platforms that prevent individual wheel weights.

Thanks!
mclinkaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclinkaberry View Post
Can anyone recommend a place to get individual wheel weights in the San Dimas, CA area?

It seems like most of the CAT scales have railings or raised platforms that prevent individual wheel weights.

Thanks!
In the mid-west, I look for grain elevators. they usually have flat, at-grade scales that they will let you use when not busy. Some even leave the scale/weight indicators on 24/7 so you can drive up and weigh each corner.
That doesn't help you much considering your location, but I would look for agriculture scales or moving company scales. Some, like the CAT scales will be raised and/or have rails. Many moving companies will have flat scales at grade level allowing 4 corner weights. Some will charge you something, others say come back on such and such a day, when we aren't busy!

What's the saying? "You don't know what you don't know" . . . I have been going to Forest City, Iowa for motorhome factory work since 2010. It took me two years before I "found" the grain elevator scales down by the railroad tracks! They leave the scales on 24/7 so I go and get my own 4 corner weights every year, usually on Sunday.

Again, search for AG scales or moving company scales that are at-grade level and then start making phone calls.
Good Luck!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Marty......You'll be hard pressed to find a place that can do individual wheel weighing unless you're at an RV rally. At least get your coached weighed front to rear. You'll get a pretty accurate picture of your coach weight.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #4

We were at the Escapees Boot Camp last weekend but didn't have the time to get weighed. We'll definitely get the axle weights so we at least have a ballpark idea of where we stand.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclinkaberry View Post

Thanks!

I go to Pete's Road Service and have gotten very good service. I think it cost me $25 for four corner weight. They have 9 locations in SoCal. Here is a link to their locations page.

Pete's Road Service INC. Locations
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

Bruce, thanks for the tip!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Call the CA State Highway Patrol. The WI State Patrol came to my home with their six individual scales and helped me get the balance I wanted and at no cost to me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Call the CA State Highway Patrol. The WI State Patrol came to my home with their six individual scales and helped me get the balance I wanted and at no cost to me.
I tried this in TX, saw a state trooper weighing trucks behind DQ in Nixon, TX, but he said he was too busy to weigh me.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

In Oregon the truck weigh stations leave their scales on when they are closed. You can drive in and weigh whatever, however you want. Been there done that.
Just last week we stopped at a fertilizer company near us (no we can't smell them) in Waddell Arizona and asked and they said as long as you don't interfere with their trucks I could do it. Didn't charge me a dime.!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good flat scales are getting hard to find.. HOWEVER

Diesel Smokies (Weighmasters or Motor Carrier Officers) drink coffee just like other Law Enforcement Officers.. also other drinks, their portable scales can do the job.. If you make a friend.

But somewhat more legal is Aweigh-We-Go..

RVSEF - RV Weighing & Safety Education and follow the link at the top of the page.

The advantage here is not only do they come to you, find a suitable parking lot, and weigh each corner independent of the other using portable scales (Same as the Weighmasters use on the road) they will conduct a short Telephone interview first.

have the make and model of your tires (IE: Mitchlin XRV 22.5 ####R) when they call (take notes)

They will test your Tire Pressure gauge.. Weigh your 4 corners, Give you a copy of the inflation chart for YOUR tires, and make recommendations, RVers helphing RVers, all for a small fee, about twice what it would cost you at a flat segmented scale if you can find one but well worth it in my book. (And yes, i called them). .
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out Excapees Smart Weight locations:

Site #1: Rainbow’s End, Livingston, TX

Appointments available: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 10 am

Call 888-757-2582 to reserve a time slot, or come by the Headquarters offices at least a day in advance to sign up.

Site #2: Escapees North Ranch, Congress, AZ

Appointments available: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 11 am. Other times and days may be available depending on the Weighmaster's schedule.

Call George Wickholm, the onsite Weighmaster, at 509-999-4429 for more info, or to make a reservation.

Contact Onsite Weighmaster

Site #3: Sumter Oaks, Bushnell, FL

Appointments can be scheduled between 10:30 am and 3:30 pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, and any other day between 9 am and 5 pm

Call Al Peterson, the onsite Weighmaster, at 518-231-8606 for more info, or to make a reservation.

Contact Onsite Weighmaster

https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/smartweigh
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CAT scales are listed in the yellow/white pages. The internet is a great source for finding one in any area.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
In Oregon the truck weigh stations leave their scales on when they are closed. You can drive in and weigh whatever, however you want. Been there done that.
Just last week we stopped at a fertilizer company near us (no we can't smell them) in Waddell Arizona and asked and they said as long as you don't interfere with their trucks I could do it. Didn't charge me a dime.!
X2. In Washington state I go to a truck scale on I-5 when it is closed. I can move around and weigh each corner. I usually also weigh the front and back axles and the entire coach.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Eight Star Logistics, 1645 Daisy, Long Beach, CA 562 216 9200
Eight Star Logistics - Eight Star Logistics - Home Abatti - Abatti Companies
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote