Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Where to go! Where to go!

My DW and I are wanting to take our dogs, and go somewhere nice and secluded for a week in the spring or early summer. We want to travel about 500-600 miles from Midland Texas. Maybe out in the woods somewhere at a National Park or something similar. Just a nice peaceful outing. Boondocking or hook ups, either one.
Any suggestions?
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

We very much enjoyed our visit to Palo Duro State Park, TX. Not sure of the distance.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
My DW and I are wanting to take our dogs, and go somewhere nice and secluded for a week in the spring or early summer. We want to travel about 500-600 miles from Midland Texas. Maybe out in the woods somewhere at a National Park or something similar. Just a nice peaceful outing. Boondocking or hook ups, either one.
Any suggestions?
Its not that far, but there are a number of great state parks in the hill country around Kerrville and Fredricksburg. Guadalupe, Lost Maples and Pedernales just to name a few. Camp Huaco Springs near New Braunfels is not a state park but it is right on the Guadalupe river.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

The Big Bend country is where I would head too.................

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
Any suggestions?

Ruidoso is a nice place that time of year.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

If you are traveling with dogs you should check the rules at National Parks before you book there. The NPS is not particularly dog friendly. Many of the National Parks do not allow dogs, even leashed, on trails in the park. The Texas State Park system has so many choices it shouldn't be too hard to find someplace to go.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Santa Fe. Black Canyon. About 8500 or so feet. Lovely in the summer. Nice hiking trail right from the park. Great for dogs. Another series of longer trails across the street. Water, dump station. Town is only about 15 minutes yet at the park, you are in ponderosa pine.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

Where to go! Where to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Santa Fe. Black Canyon. About 8500 or so feet. Lovely in the summer. Nice hiking trail right from the park. Great for dogs. Another series of longer trails across the street. Water, dump station. Town is only about 15 minutes yet at the park, you are in ponderosa pine.

Yes, that is a great destination, though I expect it is under a foot of snow this morning. The only drawback is that I had to drive the 40' MH through the two lane streets of old Santa Fe to get to the highway up to the park. It is amazing to go from the desert to the pine forest in only 15 miles. We stayed at the Hyde state park.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is within your driving distance try Petit Jean Mountain State Park in Arkansas. It has miles of really scenic hiking trails. It is in the Ozark Mountains and the drive to the Park is very pretty. It has cell phone service but Arkansas State Parks do not have wifi available. They have a lodge about a mile from the park that you can go to the lobby and have free use of wifi there. The Park seems to be pretty popular with people from Texas I see a lot of Texas license plates there when I go. The park is the oldest park in Arkansas but they have done a great job of updating the facility and keeping it up. If you are going there in the spring or summer make sure to get a reservation early it is a very popular park.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote