Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where to register your MH

I know that Montana is a good state to register your 5 in but which state is best for a motor home?
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Legally it's your state of residence. If full timing you can pretty much call any state "home" as long as you meet the residency requirements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Florida is about $325 the first year, for my 98 Tradewinds, and about $72 each year thereafter. Alabama is $426 every year! Don't forget to check insurance rates, as well. I'm moving to Florida in two weeks. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #4

It is possible, with the right circumstances, for some people to form a Montana LLC and register their rv there, although this is normally done when purchasing to avoid paying sales tax. If you decide to do this, make certain you have legal help to make sure it is done correctly. You also need to check your residence state to make certain you are following their rules for where the unit is garaged and used. Many states are quite aggressive in pursuing license fees.

If you are full time, as has been said, you can choose residency in any state and register your vehicles there. Most states, however, have rules about registering there if you stay a certain length of time or work in the state, no matter where your residence. Bottom line, do your research and choose the right state. Good luck.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personnally register here in my state of residence. At least I have some (not much) of a say in how my taxes are spent.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have considered regristering ours in FL as it rarely spends 6 months in PA. FL doesn't have the inspection law that we have. Of course if buying new Mt or amother state with low sales tax may be right for you. When we bought ours that 6 percent PA tax was a killer.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is but one state in which you should register.....that is the state mentioned on your driver's license... If you register in a DIFFERENT state.....

Well.. Several RV owners got a visit from the tax man, and by the time they got slapped with the taxes they did not pay, penalties and interest. (And understand that 100,000 house I drive ... Well when the tax cheat police are appeasing it... 200 or even 300 thousand is not out of line... Though in my case no worry about that since I complied at time of purchase)... Well, you can end up owing more than was originally on the sticker in the window.

And when you get questioned by the police in your home state... And they notice the rig is registered....elsewhere.... They may just inform treasury.

Has happened in Colorado, and I think California.. I do not know if it happened in Michigan (Where I"m registered) but I know MI was thinking about it.. Rumors of other states as well (I forget which) Remember all states are short on cash for their pig parties and thus if they can rip off citizens... They will.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Has happened in Colorado, and I think California.. I do not know if it happened in Michigan (Where I"m registered) but I know MI was thinking about it.. Rumors of other states as well (I forget which) Remember all states are short on cash for their pig parties and thus if they can rip off citizens... They will.
I've posted the actual documents where the Massachusetts AG and taxing authorities went after Montana LLC-registered RVs in their state.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In general it should be registered in the state it is garaged in.

We inherited a commercial peach orchard in CO last year and although we are fulltimers with a legal domicile in SD with our motor home and car registered in SD, since the orchard truck and car are principally garaged in CO, that is where they are registered. That is per CO law and the other states I am familiar with.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice. The answer to your question will depend on what state you are domiciled in. In the case of Texas, I do believe that they require that ALL of the motor vehicles you own be registered there.

It's true that some states are looking to collect more taxes and cracking down on illegally registered coaches... although I've certainly never heard of the penalties reaching $200,000 to $300,000... I'm sure they are significant.

Many people do register rigs out of state and just take their chances. Be aware that having a coach and toad which are not registered in the same state can be a red flag for anyone looking for such things.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know WA is one state that is looking for tax cheaters and going after them. On one of my servers I have the redacted case as it was filed by the court. The judgment was something around $25,000.
The state was able to "pierce the veil" of the LLC and go after the owners of the LLC directly, not just the company (LLC=Limited Liability Company).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

I pay $3500 a year Ad Valorum tax on my MH. I have protested it and had the value lowered and I had a $200 refund. Found out that the value of my MH is fixed regardless of if it is right on wrong and I have to protest it every year even though I showed them a copy of the window sticker from Monaco with the MSRP. I asked the County Tax Comissioner what the State of Georgia would think about be registering it to a LLC in Montana and she told me they don't care and she sure didn't care. So how many of you guys that think it should be registered in your home state pay $3500 a year in tax on your MH? If you did pay that I bet you would register it to a LLC in another State. I do not see what is illegal on having a valid LLC in Montana and having the MH owned by that LLC. Montana sure don't care. There is no residence requirement for an LLC in Montana. The problem is that there are so many stories out there on people getting in trouble that are just Urban Legends that they swear are true. Maybe there are a one or two stories that are true but maybe those states had different registration laws than Georgia.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the information. By the time I pay for the LLC it is only a few dollars more with no hassle to do it here in Missouri.
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Maybe there are a one or two stories that are true ....
Is THIS true enough for you? I'll bet there are some folks in Massachusetts who don't believe this is an Internet rumor.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote