Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the party! Research, research and research some more. Visit factories, attend RV shows, visit dealers - there is no substitute for good information! As you can probably already tell, there is a different flavor of "right" for each individual. We started with a 15 year old gasser I paid cash for; travelled it about for a year and fell in love with the lifestyle. Sold that and moved up to a used 40' DP - best decision I ever made! We love the power and silence in the front when underway. Plenty of room for us and our 2 aussies, and for the infrequent guests. I would say that floorplan should be your primary concern - gas or diesel a secondary concern. You are going to have to live with your decision, so make the floorplan work for your needs! Good Luck!

Jay & Jo Couture Livin' On The Edge,
w/Dawson, our mini aussie, in a 2007 Monaco Knight 40DFT, towing a 24" Pace garage.
1skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2...Did not ever consider a DP..no compromise here. As I said in my OP. Most rarely travel more than 4 or 5hrs. Or climb Pikes Peak on a daily basis so go for the floorplan that is correct for your living situation and enjoy your search. Myself I would not let PERSONAL OPINION sway my judgement. We are extremely happy with our choice for all of the factors we as a family had to consider.

Chris please do not use this thread to push your gas vs diesel OPINION. By the way WANNA RACE I will blow your smoker away.

Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
Damon Owners Club
Suggest you attend one of the Good Sam/Camping World RV Rallies.... the next one is in Atlanta 17-20 Oct. They have just about all of the RV manufacturers (including Tiffin) represented with hundreds of new and used RVs for sale. Also, there will be a large camping products sales area with Camping World being the largest displayer of items but many other vendors as well. The site is located at: http://therally.com/atlanta-ga-october-17-20-2013/
You can get good buys on diesel Class A's... you just need to look. We've been seeing announcements for some Thor diesel motor homes o/a $115/$120. They no longer make them but we love our 2011 Thor/Damon Avanti 3106... a 32' front engine diesel that gets 14-15 mpg. Good luck on your search!
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #46
Originally Posted by Rusty1233 View Post
Chris please do not use this thread to push your gas vs diesel OPINION. By the way WANNA RACE I will blow your smoker away.
Rusty, Never thought to race my MH. Interesting concept, tho at 34000 lbs she seems kinda slow ;-) But 1200 ft Lbs moves her pretty brisky. Ya'll only have 22,000 lbs max with limited towing capability. What diesel affords me is a GCVW 23,000 lbs MORE then the GCVW of the chassis you have. Means lots of CCC and of course I can tow a full size car or truck or my boat with a lot of room to spare. Not to mention air ride and dead quiet up front whilst driving. Of course, I own 3 cars with >400HP so I never think of draggin' the MH (now autocrossing, that is an idea!!) :-)

You don't see many ~40ft gas MH's, you also don't see many 3/4 ton pickup trucks used by professionals (contractors/farmers) in GAS either. Sure, you can buy a chevy 3500 or ford F350 in gas, but I see hardly any where I live. They aren't making gas locomotives, gas long haul trucks...

BTW, I can get my momentum back on a hill no worries.

UFO Pilot, you have a neat chassis on your rig. That said, I don't think that chassis was very popular for whatever reason, but gives many of the DP benefits in gasser form which is cool.

I really do not think there is an OPINION here. There are a ton of valid reasons NOT to get diesels, that I agree upon. But to indicate there is equality in capability in moving a motorhome, that is an opinion.

Now I need to measure my 0-60 times. Corvette, 4.0. Genesis 4.7, Mustang 5.8. Revolution, my guess is 15.0? ;-) Probably need to turn off traction control on launch and let some air out of the duallies!

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, the gas vs diesel discussion is much like asking... "which is better, a hammer or a saw?" They are both great tools which meet different needs and fit different requirements.

Having said that, let's not hijack this thread too far off of the original topic.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #48
Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. I'll add my 2 cents. I'm not a camping guy. Never a tent or class c. Last year we decided that we wanted to see the USA and go out west. After reading and talking to other motorhome owners I was convinced to go diesel. Reasons: exhaust brake, more power, much quieter ride with the rear engine, the air ride is amazing, the turning radius is a 60 degree turn. (With the engine in the rear there is more room up front for the wheels to turn), generator up front(can't here it at night). Can tow a toad much easier. The road master and freight liner frames are more solid IMO.
After spending a year in the MH and the last 6 months out west. (Right now in SD) I know it's the right choice for this kind of traveling. I've talked to people in my travels and very few gassers are happy with their mountain performance. Some have told me they unhook the toad to go up long steep climbs.
I ended up with a 2001 diplomat 38A. I had cummins check the engine, I had Josam in Orlando go through the chassis and a Rv shop go through the systems and got a clean bill of health. I've since put 20k miles on the rig with zero problems so far. It's in great shape inside and out. I've updated things. But we love our MH. BYW I paid $35K for this gem.
Good luck in your search.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #49
We just finished the research and purchased our first motor coach. Our approach was somewhat different than the ones I've seen posted here. We started by going to RV parks and talking to owners there. Believe me, there is no reluctance on their part to describe the virtues of their RVs. Additionally I read every internet article I could find. Then I applied my own experience and logic. From there we developed a list of "must haves" and "nice to haves". They were as follows:

Diesel power, 500 or more HP, 1600 or more ft/lbs of torque

Tag axle

1 1/2 baths

Aqua hot

Heated floors

10 kw or larger generator

Air AND hydraulic leveling

315 x 22.5 tires all around

Heavy Spartan chassis, preferably a K3

Full size washer AND dryer not a combination unit

Residential refrigerator with ice maker

Satellite receiver for DirecTV

Independent front suspension

VORAD collision avoidance system

Girard integrated awnings

King size bed

3 Air Conditioners

15,000 towing capacity

Disc brakes

Multi-stage Jacobs engine brake

Coach and power train monitoring system (like Silverleaf)

Automatic window shades

Next I started looking daily at all the RV sales sites and found a coach which fit all our requirements in Texas (1600 miles away). The price was better than I expected and after going there to check it out, we bought our "winter home".

Certainly your list would be quite different, but make a list. It helps to eliminate rv's that really won't please you. It's a buyers market out there and if you are properly prepared, you can purchase great quality at an attractive price.
Stanmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
Your quest was easy Stan, your must-have list included EVERYTHING ;-)

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #51

Some of that list was "like to have". But the search wasn't that easy. Not mentioned was I had to be able to AFFORD the coach that had those characteristics.

Stanmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote