Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Question Where to start?

Hello
I am new here and new to the research on buying a Class A motorhome. Married almost 48 years (ages 66 and 67), we have had every kind of camper, starting with a tent, then popup, have owned travel trailers and fifth wheels, as well as a couple of C class. We never kept any of them for extremely long periods of time, because we were still working and just couldn't seem to find time to use it "enough." At that time, we wanted a "camper." We have always said we would be interested in a motorhome when we are both retired. That is about to happen, and so we are in the market for a motorhome. We have a large home, and the motorhome will not replace our house. Our son and family just moved from us (MO) to Washington state, so we now have even more motivation for those road trips we love. All that to say, we will be traveling in it a lot but also will want to "live" in it for short periods of time (not so much "camping" at this point in time).

We have just begun the research process and have about settled on a size (something we would feel comfortable driving, being new to this, and not wanting to start off towing a vehicle)--probably around 32-34 feet. We don't even know whether we should go gas or diesel. We will definitely want new, not used (I realize that may mean "bugs" to be worked out, but at least they're "my" bugs! LOL). I realize that a lot of decisions would be based on personal preference, but I would love to receive input. We have looked at several, and from what we have seen (have not looked at EVERYTHING out there), we are impressed with the Tiffin Allegro. But if anyone would take the time to give us some considerations, we would really appreciate it.

Russell & Barbara

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on retirement too!

I'll leave to others the recommendations on specific rigs which meet your needs. It sounds like you have a solid understanding of RVs and the challenges in picking the right unit.

Obviously, a diesel is going to cost considerably more than a gasser but if you're going to be doing a lot of traveling out west, you might find the better driving experience of a DP is worth the additional cost to you.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

How much do you want to spend? You can find new gas class As for about 75-125k(discounted price) and diesels from 150k(Thor Palazzo) and up for other brands. Hard to find any diesels under 35 ft.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Good answers so far! We do know that it would be more cost up-front for the diesel. We have looked at a 33' 2014 Tiffin (RED) that is fully loaded but very pricey. We are also looking at the Tiffin Allegro 32 CA (gas) I think (I believe it is a little over 33') for around $115K (approximate, discounted). So, I guess we would like to stay under $150 for gasser but would be willing to pay more if we decided for sure on a diesel. We don't even know for sure the pros/cons of diesel vs gas. Are all diesels DP's? (admitting ignorance level) This seems silly, but I almost have come to think the MCD shades are a requirement...that eliminates a lot (unless, I suppose, you can have them installed or something crazy)...??
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to IRV2.

Attend some RV shows and walk through all of the coaches. Tiffin has a good lineup of gasser and diesel coaches and they stand behind their coaches even when they are out of warranty in some cases. If you have a problem and your dealer can not fix it to your satisfaction you can call Bob Tiffin and as long as you remain civil he will bend over backwards to satisfy you.

Tiffin Motorhomes | Wherever You Go, We Go.

For more information about Tiffin Motor Homes check out the Tiffin RV Network. It is made up of Tiffin owners and former owners.

Tiffin RV Network

Don't make the mistake we made on our first coach. We thought a smaller coach would be enough for the 2 of us. We soon found out that we wanted more room so we went from a 26' Tiffin Allegro Open Road to a 35'6" Tiffin Allegro Open Road. Now we have enough room for the kids and grandkids to visit and travel with us.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkford View Post
We don't even know for sure the pros/cons of diesel vs gas. Are all diesels DP's? (admitting ignorance level)
If you're interested, you can do a search here on the forum and find a week's worth of opinions on the topic.

IMHO, there is NO WAY to financially justify a new DP over a new gasser. DP's are MUCH more enjoyable to drive with air brakes and air suspension... not to mention the ability to pull mountain passes with a lot more power and speed.

Maintenance cost is debated. DPs go longer between service but the service is more expensive than for gassers... and if something breaks... well, a DP can really get costly.

My view is that the absolute best reason to buy a DP is because you WANT one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post

Don't make the mistake we made on our first coach. We thought a smaller coach would be enough for the 2 of us. We soon found out that we wanted more room so we went from a 26' Tiffin Allegro Open Road to a 35'6" Tiffin Allegro Open Road. Now we have enough room for the kids and grandkids to visit and travel with us.
^^^^ There's a lot of wisdom in this.

I wouldn't recommend buying "smaller" because you feel you'd be more comfortable driving it. You'll adjust to driving a big rig quickly and then might just start feeling like you should have bought a bigger coach.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I never considered a gas MH. These are big rigs pulling large loads and vehicles behind. We do plan on traveling through mountains as well as the plains. The extra torque is just the ticket.

I gotta tell you, the ride of a DP cannot be beat. When you talk a larger coach with tag, it's even better.

The other thing that cannot be compared is the fit and finish of a DP over a gas MH. Yes they cost more, but you really do "get what you pay for"!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Welcome and good luck, what ever way you go....
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club

A lot of wisdom on this site. Just ask and you'll get answers / opinions.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Where to start?

Like you, I always wanted to travel the country. Forced retirement at 62, but wife worked 2 more years. Bought a used class A, 38'. found out that we both enjoyed it. Was a gasser, so we could not really talk while traveling due to the engine up front. Didn't bother me,but... Traded up to a newer class A diesel. Much better, still 38'. No matter what brand, you can hear yeas, and nays about any brand. We are on our 3rd in 5 years. Just make sure to have someone knowledgable about motor homes check it out! Besk of luck and enjoy!!!
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

Welcome aboard. Thanks for buying new, it makes used ones available for folks like me :-)

These things depreciate FAST and many are sooooo lightly used I would encourage you to reconsider.

I am a diesel only guy, DP = Diesel Pusher. Do you want to hear engine noise while driving like you did in your class C way back when? Consider with a DP that the noise all but goes away and conversations with the wifey can now be had without raising your voice (if that is what you want, hehe, maybe you do NOT want to talk!!).

I have a 40' and have never been limited on where I could go yet compared to a 34' class rig. I think many newer class A's have fantastic turning radius'

My first piece of advice, find a large retailer nearby, dont bring your checkbook, and see if there is anything you like and keep track of what you dont like.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
One other benefit of the DP is that the generator is, typically, mounted at the front of the vehicle.

That means that the generator is at the opposite end from the bedroom! For the occasional night with the generator running (it HAS happened), it's much nicer than sleeping on top of the generator.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

We may be looking too small--it just seems scary to think about handling anything larger than 34'...I don't know why--I think about maneuvering in city traffic, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Don't let the size scare you, you will get used to driving whatever you decide on very quickly. Just choose the floor plan that works best for you.
And put me in the DP camp. In my opinion, if you don't buy one you will trade for one before too long.