Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just an update for information.

Several thinks have happened since on line last. One, got the batteries out, home, recharged and back in the rig where I could finally troubleshoot. Also, Pedernales Electric FINALLY installed and delivered electric to my property after 2 1/2 months of waiting and being camped on property.

So after troubleshooting, found both 30 amp fuses blown on the converter. Replaced, everything working as it should. Generator now charging batteries, and now getting charge from alternator.

Left unknown, why now getting charge from alternator and wasn't before?
What and why blew two 30 amp fuses? Where I come from that is a major problem, but nothing showing. Important things are system now checked out and working, batteries happy and I'm plugged into shore power.

Thanks to all for the feedback and help,

Best,

ruppr

P.S. Merry Christmas to all!!

ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #16

For many converters the fuses are for reverse polarity protection (connecting battery up backwards). You did not say what model of converter you have so not able to answer the question.

As far as alternator now charging, you may have simply moved a wire that was not making a proper connection before.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Dave,
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the first post, yep new batteries installed in rig, but they had been up and running for over three weeks with the genny recharging them. No reverse hookup. Converter is a Magnetek 7400 55 amp. Wife had had the genny on about 5 hours while baking, watching tv, washing, etc. Nothing that hadn't been done in the past. When I turned the genny off that evening after getting home and noticing the dimming lights, everything went dead. Batteries read 9.7 volts. MH would not charge batteries enough to restart genny. after charging for 1 hour, they read 9.6.

Kinda an ole retired master electrician here, so understand polarity, do not understand blowing 30 amp fuses (2) with no obvious sign of problem with everything back up and running now. Still doing some checking---- but right now it flat doesn't make sense. By the way, first problem in the systems in 6 years, just always hummed along. But currently, everything is testing out perfect---------

Best,

ruppr
Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #18

Thats the rub. The 7400 fuses are for reverse polarity: http://www.parallaxpower.com/7400/Flowchart7400.pdf

Hopefully you have the 7400T model that is at least a 2 stage converter/charger. It will do a bulk charge at 14.2VDC then drop back to 13.6VDC for normall loads (no float mode). The base 7400 is more conastant at 13.2 (full load) - 13.8VDC (light load). These higher values can boil the water off the batteries so keep an eye on them. http://www.parallaxpower.com/7400/74...ctbrochure.pdf

I understand your frustration. Something to think about, many genny's also have a battery charging circuit. Typically they are low amperage but it is entirely possible it had a fault and reversed polarity on you and failed. Just putting out ideas. Or just simply you had a voltage spike of some sort. Anyway, hope the reference info is helpful

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dave,
Filed the info away for future reference. Just finished today, everything checked out fine. Also switched back and forth between shore, battery and genny several times and checked existing voltages and no gremlins.

However, the one casualty I did find is my Trik-L-start is history, totally dead.

Thanks everyone,

ruppr