Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where to start looking-----

In a nutshell, rig parked on property being developed, No shore power. Been this way about 3 months. Came in from work last night late, noticed lights very dim, wife had just about everything on on generator, all working. (TV, elec heat, refridg. etc.) BUT, batteries not charging from generator. (New set, batteries about 3 weeks old) In fact, voltage down to 10.8. Being late, kill everything off. went to bed. Knew could charge batteries from engine if needed to in morning to start generator.

Morning ran engine about 30 minutes, batteries not taking any charge from engine. Had to go to work.

1st step-- everything working with genny on, so it is putting out power. Why batteries not getting a replacement charge from genny?? It was clear, lights were all on and running off of batteries, not genny which was causing the slow drain.

Limited wifi access, very slow---will have to check back later for any suggestions where to start.

Natullay, no wiring diagrams---

Best,

ruppr
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

It is most likely your Charger/Inverter. Sometimes when the batteries get below a certain set voltage the Charger/Inverter will shut down to save damaging the batteries. The shutdown voltage is probably set around 11.0 volts. If you have a remote panel for the Charger/Inverter then make sure it is on and no errors, then check the Charger/Inverter and make sure the circuit breaker has not popped on it and that it is turned on. Try turning the Charger/Inverter off then bring it back on. If none of that works then you are going to have to charge up those batteries somehow to above 11+ volts and try resetting the Charger/Inverter. Try running the either the engine for a little longer while watch the battery volts. If that doesn't bring it up then try the generator. Which ever brings up the battery volts.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Just a comment to a similiar problem that happened to me before. I was plugged in at a campground, so same as being plugged into generator, everything seemed to be working okay but after a few days I noticed my lights were looking dim. I checked the battery monitor and the batteries were very low. I tested the electrical outlet that the charger/invereter plugs into and it was dead. After looking around at fuses, wiring and connections in the power compartment and all looked good, I Remembered reading on here about the GFI outlet controlling other outlets, found the GFI outlet in the bathroom was set off. Hit the reset button and the lights got bright again and the outlet the charger/inverter plug into had power again. Just a thought to check your GFI outlets if you haven't already.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If neither the alternator or the generator are providing a charge, then I would suspect the connections at the battery terminals are loose or not conducting current. Or, the new batteries are toast.

The inverter/charger does what the alternator does through different wire runs. If neither source results in charging current to the batteries, then the problem is likely at the batteries.

You did say the batteries were replaced three weeks ago. Perhaps some tightening needed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
On my old rig, if the charger/converter is on, the lights are bright. Regardless of the voltage of the house batteries. Wouldn't that mean that the problem is the charger, not the batteries? I could see where it would be the new connections made for the installation of the new batteries.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Ronspradley, the result you describe could be the charger except the OP says the alternator does not provide a charge also.

I think if the batteries are removed from the rig, the invertor/charger will not power the lights because the circuit is interrupted.

Therefore, if the battery connections are faulty, then the lights may dim even though the charger is working fine?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies guys, kinda what I was thinking. Between the rain and a couple of other things just now getting started on researching.

Have found out the inverter is slid into a retaining lip (on both sides full length) with industrial strength Velcro all the way front to back on the bottom and no slack found yet on any of the cables in the rear of the unit. so I'm still trying to get the unit out from the location it's in.

Best,

ruppr
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm, update. Got it out, it's a model Win 12/300tl (demensions). It doesn't have a charger built into it. So where is the genny feeding the batteries through???

Best,

ruppr
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Then do you also have a converter?? Most converters have a charger built into them. What if any reading are you getting at the batt.s with the generator running? What if any reading are you getting with the engine running? If you are not getting a reading at the batt.s with the engine running a wire is not hooked up or the batt.s were not re-hooked up the right way.

If you find the converter check the socket it is plugged into are you getting 120 volts at the plug? If not check for popped breaker or as someone else said a popped GFI. If power at plug check for fuses on converter are they good? Do you have 12 volt at wires coming out of converter?
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #10

John Wayne, why were the batteries not being charged by the Alternator?

"Morning ran engine about 30 minutes, batteries not taking any charge from engine. Had to go to work."
Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

Both 30 amp and 50 models of his rig have a converter. Gotta run for the moment but here are the wiring digrams for his 2005 Suncruiser G37B: Table of Contents

The chassis Electrical box has the disconnect and isolation solinoid. 12 volt wiring diagram will have the converter hookup. Will follow up in a little while.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #12

1) Generator feeds the Main AC breaker panel via an ATS switch.

2) 110VAC Converter power is from the Fridge/Conv CB in the AC distribution panel. While both Fridge and converter are supplied from the same AC breaker, the converter itself is NOT contrlled by the EMS controller (jumper on EMS).
Make sure Fridge/Converter AC breaker is ON. Fridge means this is the 110VAC CB source for the Fridge AC heating element when Fridge is in AC mode.

3) Converter is mounted to floor under stove top (remove bottom drawer to access). Converter connects to a stud under there which has a wire (circuit M) which is feed to the 12 VDC Circuit Breaker Panel located at the entry door steps. 12VDC power to lights and such is from there.

4) The 2nd wire wire (circuit J) from the converter stud goes to the output of the 55 amp "coach" circuit breaker in the front electrical box. The 55 amp circuit breaker is connected to a bus bar that has a cable (circuit KKF) from it to the battery disconnect solinoid (also in front electrical box). This is the 12VDC charging voltage from converter to coach battery.

If lights are working on battery, that means disconnect solinoid is OK and 55 Amp Coach CB is OK. That means no output from converter.
For that year model, the isolation solinoid (also in front electrical box; connects chassis battery to coach battery at battery disconnect switch) would be energized when the engine is running so the engine alternator can charge the coach battery while driving.

BTW - In the future use a meaningful title. i.e "Help - No 12VDC Charging power" or something simular. There are far to many posts here so you have to be clear about what the issue is. I would have seen this sooner if you had done that.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
John Wayne, why were the batteries not being charged by the Alternator?

"Morning ran engine about 30 minutes, batteries not taking any charge from engine. Had to go to work."

Sorry, John Wayne, my error.

Question should have been addressed to Ruppr.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ruppr,
Not all coaches charge the coach batteries from the alternator. For me, I'd focus on the converter/charger. Per previous posts, check the input power to the device (120 VAC). Then check the output power to the batteries (+/- 14 VDC). If all is okay, then the may be a fuse between the charger and the batteries.

Consider posting this question in the Winnebago Owners forum. On the iRV2 main menu scroll down until you see the forum. Nobody knows your coach like another member who owns one just like yours.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote