Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Where's my inverter

I have a 2002 pace arrow 32 ft 4000 wt Gen
Chevy chassis just bought it the only way anything in motorhome works is with generator on light,water pump there are no tvs in coach and iv read tons of threads and iv looked for my inverter and call me dumb but I can't find it plz help....
rockcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you have all power on generator but not shore cord, the issue isn't with an inverter but your automatic transfer switch. The ATS switches from one source of AC power to the other. If your coach isn't equipped with an ATS, then you have to physically plug in the other end of the shore cord into the outlet the generator is plugged in to.

Your generator creates 120v AC power. It then goes to Converter/charger or change the 120v AC to 12v DC to power on board 12v circuits. It also provides a current to charge your house and perhaps your chassis batteries. House batteries run all the lights, water pump, thermostat, RV refrigerator, furnace, water heater, etc. The chassis battery is for engine starting and driving functions, including dash heater, head and tail lights, windshield wipers, etc.

The Converter/charger is often located near or behind the 12v house fuse panel. Maybe under the bed, under the refrigerator or stove, etc.

You might want to read this:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another possibility is under the bathroom sink. You can tell by looking to see if there is a removable panel. Should have a couple of screws
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

FWIW You may not have an inverter or if you do not much of one. A lot of rigs were built without much battery driven AC. If the TV's are gone chances are the last owner pulled the big CRT based units and put a flat panel in the hole when he wanted TV then kept the flat panel. That may have been 12 VDC powered or there might be a small inverter on a circuit dedicated to the TV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2002 Pace Arrow 37A did not come standard with an inverter. Added one to it. If it's the converter you are seeking, mine is located under the refrigerator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree. Your coach simply may not have an inverter. My Newmar does not. It has a converter/charger which is located in the basement at the power entrance. Inverter was an option that mine does not have.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
An inverter, to be of any use as a 120v power source while not connected to shore power, would require a bank of at least 2 and probably 4 to 8 batteries to have enough storage to power things. Inverters change 12v DC to 120v AC. They are not 100% efficient, often losing as much as 10-20% of the stored energy in the change.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #8

I just re-read one of the reply post and looked at a link that was sent and my mistake I guess I'm looking for the
( converter ) that allows battery voltage to work the 12v accessories on coach I did find something like that under wordwrobe
Panel next too breakers and fuses and is plugged into what looks like a household gfi house strip but I'm not really sure how u test it and I also noticed #2 push button breakers up under hood engine compartment with what everyone has mentioned I'll definitely be checking and I just installed new 6v battery's so I do know there good and as it sits and where not using I do use the master disconnect switches factory so there are several solinods. Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Just be aware that battery disconnect switches seldom cut power 100%. Radio presets and clocks, LP detectors, etc. can still drain a battery over time. If you leave the RV for long (+2 weeks) periods of time without power, the batteries can go dead. Physically disconnect a ground cable or install a manual disconnect switch on the battery post.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your lights and water pump are 12 volts. If they only work on shore power or genny, then you may have a battery disconnect solenoid, or, the coach battery may be disconnected. OR, The coach battery may be completely dead and not able to hold a charge.

Here is a very simple diagram of how the 12 volts works in your MH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BasicMH_Electrical.jpg
Views:	3050
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	91699  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

How do I check the converter to see if it has 12v output I just plugged it in to house everything works even heard the fan come on in converter
Or where do I find the solinod s
I did find big electrical panel in eng compartment but none of the solinods are marked?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The converter/charger should be hooked to the house batteries. Take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. It should be ~13.4v or more, showing it's charging. With shore cord unplugged, wait an hour or two for the batteries to absorb surface charge and take another reading. A good battery will read ~12.7v.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #13

Ya yesterday I plugged into shore side and the fan came on converter I'll check battery voltage this morning I need to find where the solinods are it does have 2 master disconnect right over door I'm wondering if 1 of them isn't coming on i appreciate your advice
Old 04-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To check the converter put a bolt meter on the house batteries. With the converter on you should see an increase of about a bolt vs. it being off. If no change check that the 115v socket the converter is plugged into has power. Troubleshoot accordingly
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter