Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where's the Litter Box?

DW and I bought a new to us Newmar back in February and want to do some traveling. One of the things that would be nice would be to carry the "boys" with us - two, large grey tabbies (Kong and George if anyone is interested). We are having a hard time trying to figure out a place to put the litter box however. Just can't come up with a good answer. So, those of you that carry indoor cats along for the trip, where do you put the litter box so its accessible to your furry passengers?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We travel with four "Fur Balls", yes it can be a challenge. We have tried several locations, including the shower. Put a stopper covering the drain, however felt it was too much of a hassle cleaning the shower prior to use. We now are comfortable with a Amazon.com : Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Titanium : Litter Boxes : Pet Supplies behind the drivers seat, and an uncovered rectangle box in the bedroom. I removed the door from the hamper, the box sits out the way. A collapsible hamper was placed in the shower.

I know lots of members have made changes to cabinets, placing the box in a basement compartment, I just felt it was too much work, plus you have to go outside to clean.

We have used Petco Refillable Litter for the last several years, finding it low in dust, and good odor control.

The Booda Clean Step, really cuts down on litter tracking.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Litter box in a storage compartment. Hole in their floor for cats to access. Wooden ramp or steps as needed so they can get up and down. Easy to clean the litter box and compartment from outside.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
We travel with 2 dogs and 1 cat...one of the dogs has a tendency to graze litter boxes so, in our case, we had to utilize a spot that gave some protection. In a previous coach, we were able to locate it beneath the dining table, which was always down in the sleep position instead of up as the table. In our newer coach, it's located along the side of the bed against a wall. The cat can find it easily and the dog has a hard time getting to it. Each coach will obviously present its own solution. We've found that just using a cardboard box works well for us, but then again we have a small cat. Good luck.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Can't figure out how to embed images in this forum but here's our litter box solution.

There's a panel under the clothes closet in the bedroom (2nd photo.) The other side of the panel is the rear storage area. We had a shelf built in the rear storage area to lift the litter box to the correct height. The area under the box is still available for storage as well as the area to the right of the first photo. There's also a 2nd door to access the right rear of the storage area.

Litter box shelf in rear storage area - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Cat door from bedroom into rear storage area - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Now, our cat wants a reading light, bed and a TV installed in his area.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We removed a lower drawer from a cloths cabinet, boxed it in and placed the box there.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We use two 88L storage boxes with a hole cut in the end. We leave the lids on to contain the odors and the mess (and our male cat who likes to pee standing up). They both fit under the end of the bed. We also use a litter mat to stop/catch stuff being tracked through the house. Having the lids on also discourages the dog.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Interesting thread, we just picked up our new coach (new to us) and are wrestling with where to put Jingles, and Diesels liter box.

I guess you need a pretty big hole in the floor to do the under the coach option? but i like that it is outside and a little easier to clean.

Got to look closer at our storage and see if that would work.

L.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

We travel with our Cat and fould the best place to put the litter box is in bottom drawer in bathroom sink we can leave it open most of the time ,close it when using sink and clean it and leave closed when MH not in uses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150511_123251.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	94004  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Right now we have 6 cats and possibly getting a 7th. The litter box is in the shower although when moving I have to lock the shower door closed so we move the litter box out and onto the floor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Interesting thread, we just picked up our new coach (new to us) and are wrestling with where to put Jingles, and Diesels liter box.

I guess you need a pretty big hole in the floor to do the under the coach option? but i like that it is outside and a little easier to clean.

Got to look closer at our storage and see if that would work.

L.
If you decide to cut a hole be very careful you don't cut wiring, hoses etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Our cat peanut is a big boy, 22 lbs. he is all muscular, we have a large litter box in between the bed and the cabinet drawer. It is open which dispels the odor, closing it in keeps the odor in there and peanut would not use it till we opened it up and now he can go standing up which is literally impossible with a cover on, I sift the litter every morning, and there is no odor at all, this is to accomadate your pet, not worry that someone might see the litter box. Not a lot of folks come in to visit our coach and when they do I do not worry they might see it. It is very convenient for me to clean it this way and I even keep the box of little under the platform edge of the bed.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

Read somewhere that they cut an opening in the side of the stairs which led directly to a storage compartment. Litter was kept down there so cats could come and go as they please. Time to change the litter, open compartment, clean it out (litter box of course). Most RV's have a compartment directly next to or close to the steps.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Read somewhere that they cut an opening in the side of the stairs which led directly to a storage compartment. Litter was kept down there so cats could come and go as they please. Time to change the litter, open compartment, clean it out (litter box of course). Most RV's have a compartment directly next to or close to the steps.
I'm thinking this may be my best option. I could use the shower, but would rather not. The bedroom isn't very good for this as when the slide is in it gets tight. Possibly the space under the bathroom sink might work, but its hard to get to for cleaning. I could cut a passageway from the stairs into the adjacent basement storage and use a cat door in the stairway. I like that idea. Thanks for all the input!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote