Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

Which battery charger

Hello all: I've been having issues maintaining my batteries. I have seen the black&decker 40amp charger and the Stanley along with the Schumacher Speedicharge. I have (4) group 27 deep cycles to charge. Has anyone used these chargers? I read that only Schumacher works for deep cycles! True?
Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Not sure which Stanley model you are talking about but mine works very good.
The rule of thumb in chargers is 25 amps per battery so with 4 batteries a 100
amp charger would be in order.
That is not to say something less would not work but will require a lot more time
to charge the batteries up to full.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

thanks for your reply. the Stanley charger is a 40amp. The charger would be used at home, as the motorhome is at storage with no hookups. It would be used to parallel the batteries. So, I guess it would be 10amps per battery. It would be a storage charger at home.

I also could use the 1amp float chargers on each battery, I just was trying to use 1 charger for all the batteries
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Nononononono!
None of these is suitable for properly maintaining 12V deep cycle batteries.
None of them adjust their voltage based on charge state....only their amps.
None provide an EQ cycle.

Ideally you need a SMART battery charger that provides 14.5V bulk charging, 13.8V absorbtion charging and 13.4V maintenance charging along with 15.2 Volt EQ charge cycle. (All voltages approximate +/- 2//10ths V
The charger ideally should be in the neighborhood of 60-80 amps of charging capability...but anything over 40amps would be sufficient...just would take more time which is not a big concern for you I think.

If you want to go with what you have and not reduce the life of your batteries, I'd use the B&D to fully charge each battery in turn...not together. Then remove all of them from the charger. Once a month or so...top each one up for a couple of hours as they'll lose about 10-15% of charge.
Do not leave them on constant charge.
If you do decide to get a good charger...both Progressive Dynamics and Iota Engineering (w.smartIQ module) are excellent and inexpensive relative to others. The IOTA has standard wall plug vs. hard wiring required for PD.
Amazon carries both brands in several suitable sizes for your bank.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #5

I bought the Iota 40 amp smart charger and power it with a 2KW Honda when we are dry camping. We don't have to run the noisy 10 KW in the mororhome when we want it quiet. When home, I plug it into a common 120 volt 20 amp outlet and it charges and maintains the six house and two chassis batteries properly. About $180
Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockwood View Post
thanks for your reply. the Stanley charger is a 40amp. The charger would be used at home, as the motorhome is at storage with no hookups. It would be used to parallel the batteries. So, I guess it would be 10amps per battery. It would be a storage charger at home.

I also could use the 1amp float chargers on each battery, I just was trying to use 1 charger for all the batteries
If all your doing is providing a maintenance charge the Stanley charger will
do the job much like the vehicle alternator does while under way.
As pointed out it should not be used in place of a 3 stage charger.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Chris,

I replaced my very old dumb charger/converter last year with the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C. It is a smart charger, as described by Cam earlier in this thread. Both me and my battery bank are very happy with it. I hear stories of a lot of people destroying batteries, a little research generally shows that they are using a dumb charger and just cooking them.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery