Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which is the better plan for buying a coach
Buy your last coach first 26 28.89%
Get a starter coach 64 71.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like the idea of the post, but from practical experience

It is really hard to find your "last coach" on the first try. For that reason, by accidental or otherwise, I would bet 80% of the RV world buys a trial/starter RV.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
All the advice seems to be one or the other. Buy your last coach first or get a starter coach.

I'm curious to see the percentages on this question.
Our first coach was our "forever" coach . . . we thought. Kept it almost seven years.

Our second coach was our "no-kidding forever" coach . . . we thought. Kept it two years.

Our third coach will have to be our "really forever" coach, we get it next week . . . probably wouldn't make sense to keep shoveling out our kids' inheritance for any more.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #17

When we bought our first coach, we spent months thinking and writing down all the things we wanted.

Things like: Booth not free standing table, more storage. Propane, for boondocking etc...

Things and the reason for them.

Then we had to find one that fit those criteria. We did and it was great, but some things weren't as great as we thought they'd be.

The booth required cave diving to use all it's space, all just little things. But we now had first hand knowledge of what worked for us. So after 2 years we began "looking" at different coaches.

After 2 more years, we quit looking and sat down with Newmar to have them build exactly what we wanted. Turns out it was less then buying off the lot.

We plan this one for ten years or more.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #18

last motorhome first. what a silly idea! unless your a few years from death it just isn't going to happen...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #19

I bought my last boat first, and now I hope I have purchased my last RV first. In both cases, I did a lot of research, knew the features I wanted, and found a good used candidate. The boat was purchased 15 years ago. I lived aboard it from Day 1 and have been cruising mostly full time for the last 9 years in the Caribbean. Last summer after similar amounts of research, I bought the RV. In a few weeks, the boat is for sale and the RV is home. To me, the whole process of buying a large boat, or RV, or S&B house is too much hassle to be working my way up from a starter to the real deal. But as many have said, everybody's desires and experiences are different. That's what makes the world go round.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Can I pick a 3rd choice? Get one that suits your needs for the near future. Depending on your finances, it may not be a "starter" coach. Like others say, you never know what may change a few years out.

We decided that we wanted a 36~40' diesel for the mileage, size and storage. That immediately eliminated a new coach. We found a 2 year old one that suited those needs, and it still does today. In fact, unless my finances take a big upturn, I see no impending reason to get rid of it. It may be our first and last.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a starter MH a year before we retired. Previously we had only camped in tents and then with a Westfalia and for years no camping at all.
The starter allowed us to see if it suited us without a big layout of dough. We bought a 10 year old coach off CL for less than $30K. We loved to travel in the PACNW but couldn't stand bad beds and bad food anymore. We sold it after 2 years for almost what we paid for it and bought the floor plan we needed. We couldn't have known that with a first purchase.
Are you an innie or an outie?
Lots of folks spend their days inside the MH apartment whereas others are outside more - cook outside, eat outside, read outside etc. Which one are you?
That'll help determine your needs - length of coach etc.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #22

I'll give you a different idea:

Rent 3 different types for at least 1 week each. You'll get a much better idea of all kinds of things !!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're on our third and haven't bought the last one yet. Started with a "C", after 4 years moved up to an "A" with a "Super Slide", after 6 years moved up to a DP with 3 slides. Won't be ready for my "Last" one for another 15 years. will probably have two or three more before then. Always bought used and below market value.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have never owned one, how would you know if you would like this lifestyle. I see a lot of almost new coaches for sale that someone is going to take a big hit on when selling.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
If you have never owned one, how would you know if you would like this lifestyle. I see a lot of almost new coaches for sale that someone is going to take a big hit on when selling.
SHHH ... I'm watchin' those too
Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We need a weekender for the next 2 years, after that, we may go full time with 1 or 2 kids.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #27

It should say buy what you really want first because hopefully it want be your last yall still look young. There are so many post about swaying,not enough power ect. do your homework test drive everything then end up with a floor plan your better half wants and a chassis you like. It worked for me every bodies happy.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
After four years, 48 states, 32 national parks and almost 35K miles, our first MH still feels like our last. May the 'Road gods' continue to smile upon us.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote