Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which is the better plan for buying a coach
Buy your last coach first 26 28.89%
Get a starter coach 64 71.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #1

Which "camp" are you in?

All the advice seems to be one or the other. Buy your last coach first or get a starter coach.

I'm curious to see the percentages on this question.

Got a starter A-Frame and are loving the low commitment
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
If you buy your very first coach new, and decide you don't like RVing or don't like the coach, you'll take an enormous financial hit on the first year's depreciation when you get rid of it.

Much easier on the pocketbook to get a 5-8 year old unit, drive it for a year or 2 and decide what you'd love to have in a new one.

You'll have no idea what you'll need or want if you're brand new to RVing...

But maybe money is no object to you, who knows?

Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have always bought new. We started with a TT, than a 5th wheel then a new 08 Fleetwood Discovery and traded up to our 2012 American Coach. We didn't start with a $400k coach as our first RV, we started out with what we could afford than ended up with what we have now, but at this point, we knew what we wanted/ liked.
American Coach 2012 Revolution 42W
lmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'Buy your last coach first' sounds great but, frankly, most of us do not have a crystal ball and cannot predict what we will learn or want years down the road. Humans are a fickle lot and we get crazy and just want something different at times.

We had camped for years in tents, pop-up campers and travel trailers. Sold our last TT and had nothing for 10 years when we decided we might like a motorhome. We bought a gently used 7 year old quality gas motorhome, a 1997 Winne Adventurer. Didn't pay much for it, enjoyed it for about a year, and learned a lot about what we liked, wanted. Traded it for what we paid for it on a gently used DP that we kept for 8 years. Could have kept it longer but were blessed with a little inheritance so we splurged and traded up to our last coach.

We have no regrets doing it the way we did it. Worked for us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We tried to buy our last MH first. Needs change and so do lifestyles. Still in the MH but looking for more room. We'll see.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
As you purchase more and more RVs over the years you get smarter about the RVs and the RV dealers but things change in ones life. By the time you get to where you get to the DP you first wanted things may have changed in your life where a small TT will more than fit your needs. Over my camping years I went from tents to TCs to MHs over to 5vers, then sleeping in a horse trailer to a TT and now back in a MH. Who knows. Next year I may be in a TT again. What ever fits my needs at the time. So bottom line I don't know how to buy my last RV first. I started camping back in the 60s
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
I'm an advocate of an attitude of buying your last home first. But before you do that you have to carefully consider what your use of that MH is going to be, what your budget is, and what you need to do the the two previous. A lot of folks go to an RV show and are wowed by the the golly gee wiz things in a coach and fail to look at how it's put together. I'm a proponent of looking how well it's put together. It doesn't matter if it's a 12' pop up camper or a full size commercial bus or super size commercial bus. If it's poorly designed and executed you are guaranteed to have problems that will diminish your RVing experience. You can learn through repeated mistakes method (hopefully you keep making new mistakes and not repeat old ones) or take the time to educate yourself and evaluate what you NEED. Once you figure out what you NEED you can then move on to what you WANT. (Remember Sir Mic's sound advice "You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes you find you can get what you need") I would recommend going to rv.org and laying out the bucks for their product. This is an excellent source of information and will be the best money you spend on buying any kind of RV. I also realize that needs change down the line. If you approach your purchase as buying your last RV first you will probably find that you will have spent the time to buy a quality RV that will have given you good service and has a greater trade in value down the road if you decide your needs have changed. Also if you have bought an MH with good bones and thoughtful design you can up grade much cheaper than going out and buying another MH.

Yes I voted it appears that several folks prefer to offer opinions and not vote.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
We bought an eight year old Bounder first. It was reasonably priced. We bought to see if we enjoyed the different activities it would allow us to do. We enjoyed it so much that six months in we decided to upgrade. I sold the Bounder for a profit and bought an '11 Damon Astoria now a Thor Tuscany. This will not be our last coach but will get us through the next 4-6 years at that time we plan on buying our last coach. Just the way we roll...
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Vintage RV Owners Club
We bought last coach 1st. A lot of luck involved sadly as i would have liked to do a ton more research. If you have unlimited finances there is no reason to buy last coach 1st. (very few people have unlimited finances)
fkloster = Fritz & Erin (& Lucy the Weim)
1991 Beaver Marquis 40' (1,225 ft. lbs. torque)
2011 JGC Overland Summit Toad / U.S Gear Brake
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
It's similar to people claiming they are buying their "forever home" ... ain't happenin' ... stuff changes.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Buying the last/only coach first is the most financially efficient way to go IF use/travel style stays the same. We would not have needed the coach we have when we had a young family, but since we didn't buy until just before retirement, it was and still is the right coach for us. We literally did years of research with fulltime travel after retirement in mind. Then when the opportunity came, we bought a notch above the level we were focusing on. We got a great coach that has served us well, and SO FAR is the "last coach". With 10 1/2 years and 80k miles on the clock, only time will tell if we decide to downsize somewhere in the future.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
We are on our 4th motorhome since 2000. Each has been a gently used 2-3 year old coach with low mileage. Each of the first two lasted about three years before changes in lifestyle and/or life situations caused us to look for options. The third lasted more than eight years, and would still be with us if we didn't need more space for camping with three grandkids. We traded late last summer for a 45' American Eagle with everything we could want. Whether or not it is our last coach remains to be seen. If we are still physically able to travel when we reach our 80's I believe we will probably trade down to something smaller.

I envy those that know enough about their needs to be able to select their last coach first. We have been camping in one fashion or another for more than forty years together, and we both camped as kids with our families. Our lives have changed enough over the years that we could not. After buying the current coach last summer we have had limited opportunity to really use it. Soon after bringing it home, my mother's health began to deteriorate. Each time we think things are stabilized, and we can travel, something new comes up. Had I known last year what was coming, I would have waited to trade. It is hard to know what is around the corner.

While buying a new coach has always been intriguing, I haven't been able to convince myself that the intrigue offsets the bigger hit on initial value, and I would rather spend the same money on a higher end coach. Our last two coaches have been purchased from a dealer, but were not trade-ins. They were direct purchases by the dealer, and purchased by us for less than wholesale/trade value.
2011 American Eagle 45B
arlinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Depends on your age and when you start to camp! For a young mom with 4 little boys, whose daddy didn't like camping...tent camping an occasional weekend once or twice a summer was all the money I wanted to spend on that adventure. NOw that the boys have grown up and hubby has his own hobby he has time and money to do, I bought an old used motorhome so we can use our toys together some and see if hubby will tolerate camping if he has his own shower without a concrete floor and his own bed to sleep in without being confined by that sleeping bag that tried to strangle him each time he tried to go camping with us... will we eventually move up? Maybe. I can have no clue what my last motor home will look like because I don't know what life will be like when we retire.
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Just bought my first coach and walked in knowing it was a starter. There is just too much to know up front thinking this will be our last. I have some experience with TT but a motor home is a whole new level.

Already we are considering something more fuel efficient and maybe even a little smaller for our next rig but still plan to get quite a few years worth of enjoyment out of the one we have now. Who knows? This may end up being our last one but our journey has just begun so we will have to see where we end up.

vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote