Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Which class A?

I'm looking at a Newmar 4018 and a Winnebago 42QD. I'm curious what the experts have to say about the two rigs. Both floor plans are about the same the 4018 has the side radiator (which I like) the 42QD is 2' longer. Will I need a class b for the 4018 since it does have a tag axle? And I want to hear all the "good bad and ugly of both coach's. Thanks Robert.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

The side radiator was a must have for us as I do my own maint.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
I'm looking at a Newmar 4018 and a Winnebago 42QD. I'm curious what the experts have to say about the two rigs. Both floor plans are about the same the 4018 has the side radiator (which I like) the 42QD is 2' longer. Will I need a class b for the 4018 since it does have a tag axle? And I want to hear all the "good bad and ugly of both coach's. Thanks Robert.
It's not the tag axle that governs the DL requirement for a motorhome in CA bit total length. Over 40' is a non commercial class B. Here is a publication:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tag axle thing comes up often, but really isn't an issue for the CA authorities...it's more about length.
Like said above - over 40', but not over 45' = Class B.

Here's a link to the actual CA DMV cheatsheet:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

3 axle is mentioned regarding the Class C (basic licence) as long as the vehicle gross weight is at or under 6000lb. This came about during the mini truck craze of the '90's when guys were adding a tag to import trucks. I have always wondered what license they want for a chassis that was over 6k if it had a tag, but under 40'... like some bigger Class C's of the past(?).

Best luck on you search!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

I have 'no dog' in this fight, but if I had the money and was looking I would go with the Newmar hand down. The tag should make the MH more stable and a lot better handling. While you might think that the extra 2 feet would be nice, there is nothing wrong with 40'. Also for me, I would be looking at the engine as I prefer the Cummins powder plants. That is just me.

Good luck and 'safe travels' no matter which one you end up with.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I do not believe the OP has stated what state his question is reference to. In Florida any RV requires a Florida Class E license, but there is no special testing procedure for this license.

In most states it is the weight more than the length that governs the type of license if a special license is required.

Edit: Ok I see the OP lists Ca. in his public profile. It would also be helpful in comparing 2 manufacturer's rigs if we knew which model numbers of each to compare.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I do not believe the OP has stated what state his question is reference to. In Florida any RV requires a Florida Class E license, but there is no special testing procedure for this license.

In most states it is the weight more than the length that governs the type of license if a special license is required.

Edit: Ok I see the OP lists Ca. in his public profile. It would also be helpful in comparing 2 manufacturer's rigs if we knew which model numbers of each to compare.
Sorry about that the Newmar is a Dutchstar and I only know the Winnebago as a 42 QD. Yes I do live in California. The class B would be non commercial I have no problems with that. More curious about the rigs themselves. Thanks for the help Robert
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #8

I may be prejudiced, but I vote for the Newmar.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I've not owned a Newmar but have owned two Winnebagos. As you can see, I no longer own a Winny. "Nuff said.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your interested in the 4018 read the Hoot's threads we have four 2013 and one 2014 in the threads.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #11

Just purchased our 4th Newmar Is there any other out there!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sorry about that the Newmar is a Dutchstar and I only know the Winnebago as a 42 QD. Yes I do live in California. The class B would be non commercial I have no problems with that. More curious about the rigs themselves. Thanks for the help Robert
I believe there are significant differences in the chassis. The Dutchstar is on the FCCC "XCR" (a raised rail chassis), while the 42QD TOUR is on the FCCC "Magnum" chassis, which I think is exclusive to WBGO. The Maxium has lowered rails......take a look at the WBGO site to read their claims...... I would think the difference in chassis would make a noticeable difference in ride and handling. Before spending that kind of money, I would hope you would test drive each.

Regardless, buy the one your wife like best. Trust me.....Life is too short to do otherwise!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the info edgray. The wife loves the Tour 42qd I like the Dutchstar 4018. As we all know for a happy life it will be her choice.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #14

Owned a Winnie, Monaco and sticking with Newmar now. We compared the QD tour and has some great features but in the end we went with the freightliner, Cummings, and quality combination with Newmar. More money but resale is better and quality appears better. Tour units and Entegra do some nice internal layouts.

Tags
class a