Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Which Class A Diesel Ins & Roadside Assistance

Hi:

This is my 1st post here, since I did my 1 introduction post. I hope I'm doing this right for 2 reasons. One, I'm what all would consider not computer e-literate (knowing just enough to get myself in trouble on one of these things) & two, I don't really post, because it's intimidating to me. I don't own a smart phone & have no desires to. I still use a dumb phone & happy with it.
So here I go.
I'm going to be new to the used Class A Diesel World (1st & last one to do bucket list things) & when I'm trying to learn things on the computer about the motorhome world, it brought me here a lot, so I became a member.
This question does not have anything to do with the type power plant or what kind of coach & more with experience of motorhoming.
When I make my decision within the next few months on my flavor of diesel coach & right fit for me, I could use some help or opinions on coach insurance & roadside assistance with full time travel for 3 month journeys (I'd love to do longer, but way to many doctors to see anymore) & then back out again to see things across our great country.
Since I've been looking on sites like RV Trader, RVT & even eBay at times, my nosey computer has been watching me & doing RV pop ups & the one insurance company that keeps popping up is Good Sam.
In your opinions with helping to lead a 1st timer down the proper road for Ins & roadside assistance, am I better to do a all in one, or Ins with one & Roadside Assistance with another ?
Is Good Sam a good one for Ins, both or not at all & are there better or as good of companies if Good Sam is some of your recommendations ?

Thank You & Kindest Regards,
Rick Sweater, Lititz, PA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Good Sam or Coach Net...pick one. You'll read both good and bad about both.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
CoachNet is a great roadside assistance program that I would highly recommend.

With regards to insurance, you're going to get many differing answers and none will likely be wrong (for them). What's best for you depends on your pocket book, your driving experiences, your needs .... everyone is different. Can't just compare price. (I had Good Sam for a time but shifted to Progressive)
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

Coach-Net

As to insurance I suggest to use the search feature. Many threads here existing with different perspectives.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

Welcome! A few questions to clarify some things:

Have you ever owned a RV? Why a diesel over a gas?

What size are you looking at? How many people will be in it?

These answers would help us to give you some appropriate answers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcopo69 View Post
Hi:

This is my 1st post here, since I did my 1 introduction post. I hope I'm doing this right for 2 reasons. One, I'm what all would consider not computer e-literate (knowing just enough to get myself in trouble on one of these things) & two, I don't really post, because it's intimidating to me. I don't own a smart phone & have no desires to. I still use a dumb phone & happy with it.
So here I go.
I'm going to be new to the used Class A Diesel World (1st & last one to do bucket list things) & when I'm trying to learn things on the computer about the motorhome world, it brought me here a lot, so I became a member.
This question does not have anything to do with the type power plant or what kind of coach & more with experience of motorhoming.
When I make my decision within the next few months on my flavor of diesel coach & right fit for me, I could use some help or opinions on coach insurance & roadside assistance with full time travel for 3 month journeys (I'd love to do longer, but way to many doctors to see anymore) & then back out again to see things across our great country.
Since I've been looking on sites like RV Trader, RVT & even eBay at times, my nosey computer has been watching me & doing RV pop ups & the one insurance company that keeps popping up is Good Sam.
In your opinions with helping to lead a 1st timer down the proper road for Ins & roadside assistance, am I better to do a all in one, or Ins with one & Roadside Assistance with another ?
Is Good Sam a good one for Ins, both or not at all & are there better or as good of companies if Good Sam is some of your recommendations ?

Thank You & Kindest Regards,
Rick Sweater, Lititz, PA.
In my opinion, Coach Net for road side service. They will also cover your regular day use car for flats, battery jumps, etc

As far as insurance is concerned, no preference for me. You need to shop around. Prices do vary and it depends on your location. I think some insurance only allows you to spend a certain # of nights in coach, so full timing wouldn't work with those companies. however when you do finally get the insurance, be sure to tell them you don't want road side service (assuming you get that separately). That will drop your cost down a little.

Good Luck
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #7

I have Coach Net for my roadside assistance. Used them once many years ago with my C. This is something that I don't mind paying for and not using

I just purchased a used DP and got quotes from the Tobin Agency in Collingswood NJ, ask for Lou, ad also from Overland Insurance www.rvins.com . We ended up with Progressive through the Tobin Agency. If you are insuring for agreed value, Progressive does not require you to purchase another coach if you have a total loss, National Interstate will require you to purchase another coach. Ask lots of questions.
PM if you want to.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

We are using Progressive. The price is good and we have a policy where they take into account updates you have made if the RV is totaled.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #9

For roadside assistance, I also recommend Coach Net. I've been with them about 15 years ,switching from Good Sam after they left me stranded. Coach net has been terrific for the few times I've had to use them.
For insurance, we shopped around and ended up with our local car insurance agent. There are many RV specialty insurance companies that can also be considered. If you are near any place that might have a major RV show, there are always many insurance firms with booths set up that you can check out.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have Coach-Net for both roadside and service contract. State Farm for insurance as they insure our cars and house. It's not the cheapest at $900 per year, but I can drop by the office and have a face-to-face with the agent if there is ever a "problem." Never get voice mail during office hours and never have to press 1 for English.

Best of luck on your search. We are new to the DP world ourselves. This forum is a life-saver for me.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We switched to Good Sam after being left stranded by Coach Net. They both use the same sub contractors in the field. I once thought they used a licensing agreement with them, but I later found out that they just call contractors after you call them. Coach net used to use a independent call center to field and dispatch from. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Welcome! A few questions to clarify some things:

Have you ever owned a RV? Why a diesel over a gas?

What size are you looking at? How many people will be in it?

These answers would help us to give you some appropriate answers.
Hi:
To your 1st question, did I ever own a RV before? No, as I said in my post, My 1st & last one. But I did drive many 32' to 38' box trucks in my life, but non were ever a cab over & for 15 years I used my 33' Air Stream Classic (non 5th wheel) pulled it with a Ford F-350 crew-cab dually with 8' bed which was over 60' when taking it down the road, so the size of a motorhome does not put the fear of God in my heart, but it is still NO to your 1st question.
2nd question, why diesel over gas? I'm looking for an ISL Cummins diesel with either 370 or 400 hp because of the 1200 ft/lbs/torque, because of pulling my full size pick-up & Harley Road Glide. I like the fuel economy too, over a gas motor, because it's just a matter of time before we are paying $4 to $5 per gallon at the pumps again. Am I not thinking clearly?
3rd question, what size are you looking at? 38' to 40' with 2 or 3 slides, single axle preferred, because of less expense for 1 pair of extra breaks & tires, but a tag is not out of the question.
4th question, how many people living in it? Just me. there may be a journey or 2 that my son will be a long, but just me most of the time.

Thank You.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Either Roadside assistance Good Sam or Coach-net. I will say Good Sam Extended Warranty is a joke! Terrible coverage, you would not believe the stories, excuses, and reasons they can come up with not to pay. And if by some chance, you have a dead on claim they can't wiggle out of, you get a " average, rebuilt, salvageable part price,"

I wouldn't be without emergency road service. Open a special savings account and pay yourself for the premiums for extended warranty coverage.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #14

Since you'll be towing a full-size truck with a Harley in it, a diesel would be great for you. Ours was a 40' and no tag and we felt it handled beautifully. We drove Western mountains all the time with no issues for our 370hp. We ordered it with only 2 slides because we used public campgrounds a lot and having both slides on the same side made it easier to fit between trees. We were extremely satisfied with our Newmar Dutch Star.

For roadside assistance we just got it through our insurance policy which is a lot cheaper than a separate roadside program. They all use the same tow trucks and have the same perks.

For insurance we, and many full-timers, go through Miller Insurance Co. They are easy and pleasant to work with and will search for the best price for you. Prices vary between individuals depending on a lot of factors such as age, driving history, where you are registered, what your vehicle are and even credit score.

Miller Insurance Agency

Best of luck choosing your motorhome and your new lifestyle!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel