Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #15

You don't mention how you'll be using a coach. Part time/Full time? Some may not agree, but I consider the Thor & Fleetwood entry level, which is fine, but if full timing you might want to consider different brands. Have you thought of a quality used diesel? There are plenty out there, and you don't have to worry about taking the depreciation hit.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess you're getting the idea - opinions on what is best are like elbows - everyone has a least 2. As you well also find out the first year in the life of most coaches issues are gonna be found and need to be fixed. Both or these (IMO) are stock inputs.

So make sure you have the floor plan AND even more important you have a dealer and/or a builder that will work with you to make the necessary fixes. Again IMO, this is the best way to ensure you have a happy and safe ownership.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They are all the same, all have had issues of one kind or another. When comparing, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Don't compare an entry level coach with half million dollar DP. Find the floor plan in your price range and you like and go from there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #18

Questions answered

Questions were asked as to how we are going to use the RV - see the USA and Canada with wife, myself and 4 dogs. Price is definitely a large concern as to why those. 3 were chosen, and we don't want an RV that is over 5 years old as we feel, that is when things start going really wrong with a motor vehicle. We have been looking around at the various models (heads are spinning at times) and found those three fit the prce range, floor plans and curb appeal.
Major things we ate looking for are:
Mid entry door into R V
King size bed
Washer and dryer
DISH satellite
Light color scheme
twolf3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
twolfe3820 - You are focusing on the important stuff. Options, pricing in your range and reliability. I would encourage you to read, read, read and then go back and read some more. I would distill a list of issues that have been raised with the specific target of your affection and then understand them. You can either do that now or you can do it later as you run into problems. Age - at least from what I can understand - on DP is less a factor than on the gasser. (Note: Full disclosure - I own gasser with a great floor plan and a new warranty and it is great for us.) What most folks will tell on any used motorhome that comes with a no or limited warranty is get a professional inspection done. There are lots of good sellers out there but salesman want to tell sell and will sometimes say anything to make the sale. Also, you'll find by reading and understanding on these forums your knowledge could well be more than the sellers.

This is just my experience and opinion. As I said - I have 2 elbows.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Twolfe3820: you may want to add to the list of things that are (should be) important needs. The ability to tow the vehicle or trailer you have or may get.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf3820 View Post
Questions were asked as to how we are going to use the RV - see the USA and Canada with wife, myself and 4 dogs. Price is definitely a large concern as to why those. 3 were chosen, and we don't want an RV that is over 5 years old as we feel, that is when things start going really wrong with a motor vehicle. We have been looking around at the various models (heads are spinning at times) and found those three fit the prce range, floor plans and curb appeal.
Major things we ate looking for are:
Mid entry door into R V
King size bed
Washer and dryer
DISH satellite
Light color scheme
You know, I have never owned an RV less than 15 years old and I have had minimal problems (most of which were neglected routine maintenance things) . So personally I cannot say your argument really stands. If you are looking at used, get full maintenance histories and know, not suspect, how it was taken care of. If new, then Tiffon is the only company that you can pull into their factory and walk into the owners office to address a complaint. Their Customer Service is legendary. That said, I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer coach and the new Fleetwood Excursion caught my eye over the Palazzo. A lot more features for a little less $$ and Fleetwod has great though not infallible customer service.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't agree with you on a coach having more issues beyond it's 5 year life span. It really depends on how it is maintained and used that determines that, also who built it and when. I'm on my 3rd Coach in 20 years. Two gas purchased new and the current one purchased used from the first owner. The rig I have now was lived in for 7 years full time. It was rode hard and put away wet. But I purchased it for $70,000 and put in another $15,000 and have a great coach. It had 49,000 miles on it when I purchased it and now has 60,000 on the O.D.. We love this coach and everything we've looked at that was new doesn't even come close. IMHO buy used. You will be much happier in the long run. DP chassis are designed to run hundreds of thousands of miles with good maintance. There are great deals out there on higher end coaches for a lot less money than entry level new rigs. Hey they all have issues. From the day they are rolled out of the assembly building till the day they are retired. That's just a given. Look at Newmar, Country Coach, Tiffin and Monaco(pre 2008). I've had 2 coaches with mid-entry doors and love my front entry I have now much better. Good luck and have fun searching.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased new and not only have had a minimum depreciation of at least $100,000.00 it took 5 years to get all the "bugs" out. Now it is a KEEPER. So buy used and save lots of money and have a GREAT coach. Lots of people have them for sale with less then 50,000 miles. Sanford PS Get a diesel.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf3820 View Post
We have been looking at RV's for some time and it has come the time to buy.
With the Floorplans, space needed ( My wife, myself and 4 dogs), it has boiled down to the Thor Palazzo, the Fleetwood Expedition and the Winnebago Forza. Which company has had the better track record for service, repairs, etc. There are no good reviews on the Palazzo, a real good one (yes, only one I could find) for the Winnebago and nothing on the Fleetwood.
Go to the dealer and they push the one they sell and bad mouth the others. I am looking for someone that has experience with RV's to help.
I would look at Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar. After many years of RV ownership and purchasing/re-purchasing, those three brands always come to the top.

We've recently owned a Winnebago DP and now a Newmar DP. I've been happy with both. We owned two Thor TT's that were both disasters. When looking at MH's, the Thor products have the same cheesy construction (staples, cardboard facsimiles of wood, under spec'd framing) as did our TT's all the way up the line. Stay clear IMHO. Tiffin only got rejected from both recent purchases due to floorpan options.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another vote for the Palazzo

While we only have one dog (Lucy posing in her favorite place in our 33.2), your list of "wants" is very close to what ours was. I agree with many of the others on this forum that there are going to be problems with any of them, but if you can find a used Palazzo with the double track (late '14 and newer), you'll likely end up with one that has had most of the bugs worked out of it, and the first owner will have taken the depreciation hit. Ours was almost 50% less than the original MSRP, with only 2,600 miles on it (and a Winegard satellite dish installed on the roof to boot!). It's been trouble free, other than dumb stuff we've done to it! What ever your decision....enjoy!!!!
Attached Images

ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
We owned two Thor TT's that were both disasters. When looking at MH's, the Thor products have the same cheesy construction (staples, cardboard facsimiles of wood, under spec'd framing) as did our TT's all the way up the line. Stay clear IMHO.
This is odd...wonder what these "Thor TT's" were?...since TT's haven't be made under the Thor brand name for years and years.
For a LONG while, it's been Airstream, Dutchmen, DRV, Heartland, etc.
See: Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

I submit that EVERY RV has some staples in the cabinetry, but our previous Thor TT (a beautiful Dutchman Denali) and Thor Class A (Outlaw) do not have cardboard facsimiles of wood or under spec'a framing.

The OP's list is a good collection of very nice RV's...and those RV's are offered at a great price point. You can always pay more, but you might not get more.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Scarab0088 - x2

Old 11-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #28
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Which Class A diesel is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This is odd...wonder what these "Thor TT's" were?...since TT's haven't be made under the Thor brand name for years and years.
For a LONG while, it's been Airstream, Dutchmen, DRV, Heartland, etc.
See: Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

I submit that EVERY RV has some staples in the cabinetry, but our previous Thor TT (a beautiful Dutchman Denali) and Thor Class A (Outlaw) do not have cardboard facsimiles of wood or under spec'a framing.

The OP's list is a good collection of very nice RV's...and those RV's are offered at a great price point. You can always pay more, but you might not get more.

Safe travels

They were 1998 and 2000 Aerolight TT's. 24FBR models. "Proudly" displaying a "Thor Industries" placard next to the door on both. They were both pieces of junk. The first one had to be bought back by the manufacturer. The second not much better.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel