Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I submit that EVERY RV has some staples in the cabinetry,
I sure haven't found that to be true with our present rig!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
They were 1998 and 2000 Aerolight TT's. 24FBR models. "Proudly" displaying a "Thor Industries" placard next to the door on both. They were both pieces of junk. The first one had to be bought back by the manufacturer. The second not much better.
Thanks for the clearification...17 and 15 years ago could change things a bit, couldn't we agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I sure haven't found that to be true with our present rig!!
Staples would be used to aid any adhesive used on fabric covered hard trim and veneer parts. And it is a very common practice to locate cabinet bottoms or similar parts where a dowel or screw would not work and/or is not needed. Not seeing the staples is a good thing

In my posts, I am not saying a Newmar, Country Coach, and the like, or even Newell, Millienium and other similar premier Coach's are bad. Instead, I am saying that there are many RV's made by big names like Winnie, Fleetwood, Thor, etc. that are quite good for a majority of the public, and it is an injustice to disparage these very good RV's just because they are at the mid-market or entry level

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
I would look at Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar. After many years of RV ownership and purchasing/re-purchasing, those three brands always come to the top.

We've recently owned a Winnebago DP and now a Newmar DP. I've been happy with both. We owned two Thor TT's that were both disasters. When looking at MH's, the Thor products have the same cheesy construction (staples, cardboard facsimiles of wood, under spec'd framing) as did our TT's all the way up the line. Stay clear IMHO. Tiffin only got rejected from both recent purchases due to floorpan options.

I agree with your choices and comments.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf3820 View Post
Major things we ate looking for are:
Mid entry door into R V
DISH satellite
Hi twolf3820,

Without knowing your reasoning for the mid-entry door, I'd encourage you to spend some time sitting in the various models and imagining how you would be using it. I've only had two Class A's (one mid door and one front) and I have found the front door option to be fantastic. A mid-entry door takes a lot of space and creates sort of a 'dead zone'. Obviously, just one guys opinion.

Depending on the age of the rig you purchase, you may want to consider a number of the electronic items in your "refit" (make it your own). Electronics evolve so fast that things like TV's, home theater, satellite systems, etc. "age" very quickly (not to say they don't work). For example; I am using the satellite dish that came on my rig from the factory (making it ten years old). It still works but is a semi-manual setup (have to push a button more than once) and only pulls in one satellite (so I have to push that button again if I want to watch a channel that is on a different satellite). I could replace it with a new, super-smart, easy to use dish for about $1,500 but it is not worth it to me. My point is, if you find a rig you like but the TV's are old (or whatever), keep in mind that you can update all those things relatively inexpensively. Of course, maybe the desire to avoid this type of effort is your reason for a newer rig - if so, drive on!!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #33
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Thanks for the clearification...17 and 15 years ago could change things a bit, couldn't we agree?

Staples would be used to aid any adhesive used on fabric covered hard trim and veneer parts. And it is a very common practice to locate cabinet bottoms or similar parts where a dowel or screw would not work and/or is not needed. Not seeing the staples is a good thing

In my posts, I am not saying a Newmar, Country Coach, and the like, or even Newell, Millienium and other similar premier Coach's are bad. Instead, I am saying that there are many RV's made by big names like Winnie, Fleetwood, Thor, etc. that are quite good for a majority of the public, and it is an injustice to disparage these very good RV's just because they are at the mid-market or entry level

Safe travels

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, just trying to offer my opinion on the OP's question, based on my experiences and prejudices. Everyone has a different set of eyes on things and will come to different conclusions based on their needs and wants. A thread like this will produce a variety of answers that the OP and others with similar questions will have to sort through and digest.

IMHO, Winnebago is one of the best "mass market" builders. I owned a 2010 Winnie DP. I had zero complaints with it. It was a well put together coach and the local dealer network (I used three different ones in NJ/PA) was excellent.

When we went to move up the food chain a bit we looked again at Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar seriously after looking at every DP in our price range at the Hershey show for 3-4 years. So as stated, those are the three I'd recommend the OP give serious consideration to.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of good points by many and perspectives. I like all the coaches you mentioned and am a Fleetwood owner with very good customer support from them. I think my dealer is one of the best even tho they are 1400 miles away and I don't really deal with them on any issues or questions. I go directly to Fleetwood and have not had any issue with responses or information received. I am a new purchase type person, just something about someone else sleeping in my bed LOL, but I have realized a new prospective from this forum on good used DP coach. I would say what has been said here by a few ppl -- Price point that makes it affordable to own but more importantly affordable to travel when and where you want to. Its like a house to me, a big fancy house is great but if all you can do is say look at my fancy house and have nothing left over to go enjoy life then it seems pointless. If you can't afford to use it when and how you want what's the point. Second no matter what you get make sure it meets your needs, not only layout but look at the carrying capacity and load distribution to include towing. If you cant carry what you want on any trip, it can really limit what you may be able to do, especially if Canada and cold weather trips are a big part of your plan. Last enjoy your new coach (used or new purchase) and learn all you can about your decision before you purchase. Power distribution, power management, off the grid use, Generator, cargo capacity, limits on size for parks and campgrounds. These are things I will look at as close on my next coach as I did on chassis, engine and layout.
and good luck
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well said. Otherwise, sort of like saying "I owned an Apple 11e in 1983 that was a total train wreck, so you won't catch me buying one of those crappy iPhones from them!"
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #36

It's amazing that asking a simple question about what manufacturer stands up the best by their product and invariably the discussion goes way off. The OP said he was looking at what most of us would consider somewhat of entry level units and then gets the suggestion to go out and buy a million dollar Foretravel or that used is the only way to go.

I think you'll find a lot of answers to your questions by just simply scrolling farther down in the Forum to the various manufacturers sections and see what people are saying about each manufacturer and that particular unit that you are looking at. It does take a lot research to get what you feel best suits your needs and buyer's remorse can set in easily if you let it. All of us can give you all kinds of opinions but it is your money and your time so find out what you can and see what "feels" the best for your situation.

Happy hunting. The journey can be fun so enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #37
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Which Class A diesel is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrask View Post
Well said. Otherwise, sort of like saying "I owned an Apple 11e in 1983 that was a total train wreck, so you won't catch me buying one of those crappy iPhones from them!"

Actually that's a bad analogy. An Apple IIe was an awesomely put together piece of machinery for it's day, as is an iPhone in 2015. The level of workmanship and quality of parts is in the DNA of the company in Apple's case. Some may feel they are overpriced but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I assert the same DNA thing is true for Thor (although in the opposite direction). I've peeked inside, behind and underneath things in current Thor built RV's and see some of the same problems I had in 2000. We joke, but rightly so, that those first two Thor travel trailers we owned taught us what to look for (and avoid) in all future purchases.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #38

It's always amusing reading different peoples opinions of different manufacturers of motor homes. As a example how people think Fleetwood is a entry level/low end manufacturer. Yes they do make some cheap entry level stuff however they also make RV's which are just shy of $1mill.

Especially buying used to me it's more about how the unit was cared for then who built it. If you find one get it inspected so trained eyes can let you know what if anything is wrong.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
It's always amusing reading different peoples opinions of different manufacturers of motor homes. As a example how people think Fleetwood is a entry level/low end manufacturer. Yes they do make some cheap entry level stuff however they also make RV's which are just shy of $1mill.

Especially buying used to me it's more about how the unit was cared for then who built it. If you find one get it inspected so trained eyes can let you know what if anything is wrong.
Even that won't catch everything!
I know of one rig with a Cummins ISX 600 that had the owners had $20,000 of work done to get it running. Then, 20 miles away from the Cummins shop the engine threw a rod. Bill was $44,000 and Cummins refused to pay any of it. So, $64,000 in repairs.
At least with ours Cummins paid $10,400 out of $33,000 and that was after having an oil analysis done 2,600 miles before the breakdown.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hmm, I was only considering how cabinets were constructed, not just holding upholstery till the glue dried.
Even our '02 Dutch Star with the almost $4,000 upgrade to hardwood cabinets had staples in some cabinets.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #41

I hate to say this, but the real answer is "mine". All of us bought the floor plan, the running gear, the chassis, the brand we came to love the most (and could afford).
Good luck in your search, and enjoy your personal choice!
fiverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #42

^^^^Exactly^^^^
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel