Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Smile Which Class A diesel is best?

We have been looking at RV's for some time and it has come the time to buy.
With the Floorplans, space needed ( My wife, myself and 4 dogs), it has boiled down to the Thor Palazzo, the Fleetwood Expedition and the Winnebago Forza. Which company has had the better track record for service, repairs, etc. There are no good reviews on the Palazzo, a real good one (yes, only one I could find) for the Winnebago and nothing on the Fleetwood.
Go to the dealer and they push the one they sell and bad mouth the others. I am looking for someone that has experience with RV's to help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I recently owned, and sold, a 2015 Fleetwood Expedition 38K for the unit in my signature below.

The Fleetwood unit had a number of minor issues, none of which were the reason we sold it:

- wall panel behind midship bathroom toilet was not attached to the wall
- persistent dash/door rattles
- several AC outlets did not work on shore, generator, or inverter power

Overall I would say that the quality of the coach was average for a mid-range model. Fleetwood support was very responsive to questions that I had, and they have a good reputation. Dealer service is important on any new coach -- I would take time to make sure you are satisfied that your selling dealer will take care of you, no matter which make you buy.

ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Your list is missing some of the best. You should look at Tiffen , Entegra and Newmar coaches.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

We might be more help if you detail why you chose those three models. Price? Something about the layout? Color scheme? What do you think is important to you in a coach?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf3820 View Post
We have been looking at RV's for some time and it has come the time to buy.
With the Floorplans, space needed ( My wife, myself and 4 dogs), it has boiled down to the Thor Palazzo, ...There are no good reviews on the Palazzo...
Go to the dealer and they push the one they sell and bad mouth the others. I am looking for someone that has experience with RV's to help.

About the Palazzo...just want to add one major point...
The Palazzo line was a new-for-2013 product in the entry level Diesel Pusher market (Read: it is still very new). While there have been many complaints, there are also many happy owners too, see:
Are there any happy Palazzo campers???

These RV's are riding on a time tested and very reliable Freightliner chassis with Cummins ISB engine like many other RV's in the segment.

The biggest issue reported by owners was the "Schwintek" slide drive with 2 tracks per slide side. It was a rather new system (introduced in 2012) that removes all slide drive equipment from the storage bins (equals massive storage gains). But, almost immediately owners found the system was inadequate for the weight and any imperfections in the massive slides in these floor plans...see:
In-Wall® Slide-Out

In late 2014 TMC announced it went to the "3Trax" system that reportedly has improved the situation for the Palazzo...
https://thormotorcoach.com/3TRAX
But for any RV brand (it's reportedly used by over 40 brands) , it might be a good idea to look closely at any use of these 2 track slide drives on any slide longer than about 10'-12'...like some Winnie owners are right now reporting the same issues.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Some might say a Newell or Provost is, but I would opted for the Foretravel Realm FS6 LV1. And go with the 15 gal DEF tank, why cut corners !
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Some might say a Newell or Provost is, but I would opted for the Foretravel Realm FS6 LV1. And go with the 15 gal DEF tank, why cut corners !
Why cut corners with the Realm? After I win MegaMillions, I'm going to buy a Foretravel IH-45. They have leftover '15: list price $1.3M marked down to $825,000. What a deal!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you place great value on support, go straight to Tiffin.

The owners name is on the Bus, and as a result the company culture is far different from those owned by shareholders who are more concerned with quarterly profits than their customers' satisfaction. AND they have a lot of great sizes and floor plans. Ours was 4 yrs old even we bought it and Tiffin warranted several product defect campaigns on our bus. These were not safety issues, but were quality errors. They didn't have to do that but it was a matter of reputation. Also, you can always get tech support on the phone at the factory service center (or a callback). Same for parts and timely shipment of parts. We are on Freightliner chassis w a Cummins engine, both of which do a good job supporting the motorhome customers.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
If you place great value on support, go straight to Tiffin.

The owners name is on the Bus, and as a result the company culture is far different from those owned by shareholders who are more concerned with quarterly profits than their customers' satisfaction. AND they have a lot of great sizes and floor plans. Ours was 4 yrs old even we bought it and Tiffin warranted several product defect campaigns on our bus. These were not safety issues, but were quality errors. They didn't have to do that but it was a matter of reputation. Also, you can always get tech support on the phone at the factory service center (or a callback). Same for parts and timely shipment of parts. We are on Freightliner chassis w a Cummins engine, both of which do a good job supporting the motorhome customers.
Quality errors --- That is why we chose another brand.. too many issues with roof radius's, wet bay's etc. with Tiffin. But , all of the current manufacturers seem to have significant issues and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Everyone will tell you that theirs is the best. Well who am I to do it different.

Mine is the best and I love it. In the signature line. Even my Towbar and Honda CRV are the best. While I am at it the wife is too.!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The Best one is the one that has the floor plan and features that you want for the type of RVing that you do.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Quality errors --- That is why we chose another brand.. too many issues with roof radius's, wet bay's etc. with Tiffin. But , all of the current manufacturers seem to have significant issues and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
So you must want 4 yr or older one ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #13

Retired Fire Service RVer's
So far my wife and I LOVE our Tiffin Allegro Bus DP....330 hp Cummins turbo...12+ mpg IF I keep it around 55 on the Interstate. Lots of power, rides GREAT, very smooth, great inside finish, wonderful company for getting help from....JMHO....
Old 11-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Which Class A diesel is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
The Best one is the one that has the floor plan and features that you want for the type of RVing that you do.

And is has QUALITY construction with high grade components and is reliable....

That narrows it down quite a bit...

Don't go for the "Bling" look deeper.

Cheers!

Tags
class a, diesel