Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Which Class A gasser?

We had a 37ft boat for 7 years, and I currently own a Sportsmobile that I use to go camping with my younger daughter, but we are looking for something with more space, especially now we have 2 dogs.

This would be for occasional weekend trips and longer annual trips.

So, here are our requirements:

- king sized master bed
- Ford V10 chassis with 6 speed (not interested in DPs)
- some kind of dinette or couch area that my daughter can use to ride in, with the dogs (they're small-medium dogs, 30-40lb)
- ability to flat tow a Jeep XJ
- ability to fit on our RV pad which is 9 x 36 grasscrete though it could easily overhang 4+ ft length over the grass at the back
- sleeping space for 2 more adults (our daughters)
- vinyl/smooth floor, for ease of cleaning
- comfortable driver's and passengers chairs
- good off the hook capability (eg 100gal fresh, generator than can run both AC etc)
- reasonable shower space and space around the head (my wife and I are both fairly tall/solid)
- no theater seats (just open couch etc)
- price range 90-125k ish

Open question for us is 1-1/2 bath a requirement? Still thinking this through. But with 3-4 people in the MH, we are leaning heavily in this direction.

Started looking at the FR3, liked the 30DS floorplan and now I've seen the new 32DS I like it a lot.

Then started looking at the Thor Miramar, which I still like a lot, of the 1 bath option. Floorpans 33.5, 34.2, 35.2. The 100 gal fresh water appeals to me, as does the full paint options and the general fit/finish/decor. It also steps up to the 22.5" wheels/22k chassis which is a nice touch for CCC and ride quality.

Now to the bath and a halves:

Then started looking at the FR Georgetown XL 369DS which is pretty nice.

The Thor Challenger 37LX is our leading candidate right now. I like the look of the Thor product and while the customer service isn't perfect it seems like they are more communicative than FR. (yes I've read the big Challenger owners unit thread)

I also recently look at a Fleetwood Bounder 35K with LX package. The system that allows it to intelligently plug into a 30A outlet (and not blow the breaker) seems pretty nice, and the slide supports seem to be very heavy duty. Seems nicely put together.

The layout of the 37LX and 35K are very similar. I think we'd be happy with this layout. I've been mostly focused on finding the right layout, with a lot of attention on the couch/dinette options. Some of the smaller dinettes we would't fit in and for motoring along with the dogs, theater seats won't work for us.

I looked at Newmar - the fit and finish is nice but the very conservative interior design and the shortage of more modern features didn't excite me.

My one major beef with the Challenger is that the dinette table is not removable, you can only raise or lower it. I'd like to be able to drive with an "open dinette" for my daughter and dogs to sit in.

I don't really care much about how many TVs or speakers or where they are. I do like the outdoor kitchen of the Miramar but not having one isn't the end of the world.

My question is: are there any other makes/models we should be looking at, or any thoughts on what we're looked at? (especially the Bounder and the Challenger)
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

Did you look at the Newmar Canyon Star 3710, we have the 2014 equivalent and they are top of the line in the Gas Chassis market. You will pay a few thousand more but what you get in quality and ride will make a huge difference. Even though the same chassis may used, there is definitely a difference in how the MH is engineered to the Chassis. I'm not sure what more "modern features" you are looking for but we have 3 TV's, bath and a half, surround sound systems, direct TV, heat pumps, Energy management system, inverter, converter, huge tank capacities, big shower, L-shaped couch, fireplace(which provides a great heating source) and the dinette you describe, all the chassis handling components, and a few features I haven't listed, plus more storage than we could ever use. Not bad for traveling or camping. You will find some of the less expensive models will have a lot of glitter and glam, but don't confuse that with quality. You get what you pay for, so make sure you look at all of them in great detail and really compare what you get for the price. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

We just went through a year long search for a new gas RV. We went so far as to visit each factory. We settled on a Thor due to the quality on the interior and the availability of a very light interior. The drive trains are the same, Ford, except for the frame length, the rear axle ratio and tire size. The lighter the coach the better the power to weight ratio. We spend about 90 days a year on the road and usually cover 11,000 a year in the coach. The location of the TVs, big long kitchen counter and big shower were top on the list. We decided on a Thor Hurricane 31S, while this is not the coach for you, it does point you to make of a list of things you cannot live without and those that are nice to have. You give up a lot of storage area with an exterior kitchen but now that we have had one for 7 months I don't know how I got along without one for 16 years. We have traveled twice with our 12 year old grandson so I would defiantly recommend the one and half bath if you can swing it. With two wood doors to seal off the bathroom and shower we survive for a couple weeks but it not ideal. I would say just look for the best interior layout that fits you needs. Remember with length and height comes weight and maneuverability. We can almost always find a campground spot for a 31 ft coach that only needs 30 amps. No need for reservations unless it is a summer holiday weekend.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you seen the Residence Edition Outlaws?
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/floorplans/

There are 2 floor plans...Residential Fridge, Master King Bed, 9" tall Coffered Bedroom Ceiling!!, front overhead electric drop-down Bunk, Bath and a Half, Rear Exterior Wet-Bar (could easily be used as an exterior kitchen), and elevated rear patio deck with entry stairway...all standard equipment.

We personally prefer the 38RE, but the 38RF has the extendable dining table that some really prefer...sofa/sleeper or theater seating may be selected in the RF.

We totally agree that there is currently no need to go with a DP to get high end features in a Class A.

All new gas Class A's (since 2011) are riding on the Ford F53 stripped chassis w/V10 in one of several GVWR's. All 2016.5 and newer Outlaws have the 6 speed. The Outlaw's chassis is the top of the line 26,000lb model and frame mods are done by MorRyde with a .25" variable, front to rear before they arrive for the house construction.

We are not affiliated, but there is NOTHING like the rear end of these RV's in the industry. The bedroom ceiling is SO TALL that it seems like you are in a real house. And the rear bath and rear elevated deck and wet-bar (with awning) is where most owners spend all their outside time.

If we didn't need the ToyHauler style Outlaw, this is the Class A we would have.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Did you look at the Newmar Canyon Star 3710
I did look at the Canyon Star but not sure which floorplan. I just found the decor a bit on the sleepy side. I do agree the fit and finish quality are excellent.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Have you seen the Residence Edition Outlaws?
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/floorplans/

There are 2 floor plans...Residential Fridge, Master King Bed, 9" tall Coffered Bedroom Ceiling!!, front overhead electric drop-down Bunk, Bath and a Half, Rear Exterior Wet-Bar (could easily be used as an exterior kitchen), and elevated rear patio deck with entry stairway...all standard equipment.

We personally prefer the 38RE, but the 38RF has the extendable dining table that some really prefer...sofa/sleeper or theater seating may be selected in the RF.
Thanks. 38RF dinette/seating configuration rule it out for us, on the 38RE I like the layout with the shower as more of the shared bathroom, with just the half bath ensuite from the master, but I am not sure about the elevated patio, it just looks a bit small compared to spilling out on the ground next to the coach under the awning and opening up a side outdoor kitchen.

I think if the 37LX had the outdoor kitchen and a removable dinette table (which doesn't seem to be a Thor thing) then I'd pull the trigger.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
You give up a lot of storage area with an exterior kitchen but now that we have had one for 7 months I don't know how I got along without one for 16 years. ...

Remember with length and height comes weight and maneuverability. We can almost always find a campground spot for a 31 ft coach that only needs 30 amps. No need for reservations unless it is a summer holiday weekend.
That's another struggle for us. Shorter is clearly better for campground spots, and what I didn't mention is we have a bit of a weird driveway approach to our RV pad so a longer coach (over 38ft?) could be an issue there (I'm still working out how to figure out what will work and what won't).

In terms of feel and size the Miramar looks around right to me, and I did notice they have one floor plan with a bath and half (34.1) but it only has a queen bed, which is a deal breaker for us.

I know bounder has an option to upgrade to a King for most floorpans, does Thor offer anything like that or are you stuck with the standard bed for each floorplan?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

You didn't say new or used (or did I miss it?)
The Bounder 35K has the biggest shower. I believe it has more amenities also. I also did a year long analysis paralysis. I ended up with the Bounder and happy I made the decision. Just don't buy or get service at Lazydays.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
You didn't say new or used (or did I miss it?)
I think because I want the F-53 V10 with new 6 speed it would have to be new or very nearly new.

Quote:

The Bounder 35K has the biggest shower. I believe it has more amenities also. I also did a year long analysis paralysis. I ended up with the Bounder and happy I made the decision. Just don't buy or get service at Lazydays.
Yeah, the seat in that shower looks fairly handy, and we're not getting any younger.

What do you think of the IllumaPlex system so far? It is something I am a little nervous about as it isn't a component available from a 3rd party if it breaks. Have they given you any documentation on it?

I am itching to get a MH before next summer, of course would rather get it sooner than later to work through any issues.

Does your 35K have the king bed? The way the options are written are confusing, the window stickers say "queen bed" and then "king bed memory foam". Is the support for the mattress king sized?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot_ View Post
I think because I want the F-53 V10 with new 6 speed it would have to be new or very nearly new.

Yeah, the seat in that shower looks fairly handy, and we're not getting any younger.

What do you think of the IllumaPlex system so far? It is something I am a little nervous about as it isn't a component available from a 3rd party if it breaks. Have they given you any documentation on it?

I am itching to get a MH before next summer, of course would rather get it sooner than later to work through any issues.

Does your 35K have the king bed? The way the options are written are confusing, the window stickers say "queen bed" and then "king bed memory foam". Is the support for the mattress king sized?
Illumiplex seems like a pretty simple system. All the fuses for the illumiplex system a located behind the BR TV. The dimming function is nice.
I have a wiring schematic for it. Not sure what else you could want. It seems there is a circuit board that controls some things. It's been in the higher end coaches (ie American Coach from REV) for a while already 2011ish?
I have a queen. Just a solo rv'er here. But it is a standard queen. Not a short queen not an rv queen. Standard. I replaced mine with a Sealy and that is really comfy. If you get the king you eliminate the side tables in the BR
Don't rush into it. Buy something you truly like. Look at what's important to you. To me the shower was important. I wouldn't even look at rigs with a smaller that what is in the Bounder 35K. That really limited me. But I love my shower. Can't say I used the seat to sit. Good for putting a foot on it to wash the feet and maybe your DW shaving the legs. The Magnum Inverter/converter/charger is top notch. The EMS works awesome. Onan genset and it you get the LX the QG 7000 and you can run everything you want (2 ACs). I have all Sony electronics, Samsung refer., Winegard Auto Satelite dish, etc. Those things were important to me. What's important to you? Make a list. compare what each manufacturer/model offers. Make a decision and be happy with it.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
You may want to look at the Tiffin allegro 36la. Its got 1 1/2 baths, king size bed available and most of the other items you listed. You will find it has good quality materials, and Tiffin warranty is second to none.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

We looked long and hard for a nice gasser as well. Saw the '16 37LX in Vegas and knew that was the one. We love the floor plan and have the sofa (very comfortable), not the theatre seats .Bought some nice footstools to put our feet up. Came back to Colorado and bought one from CW Oklahoma.

Love that bath and 1/2 when traveling with grandkids and it works great for just the two of us. In anticipation of longer trips, we had a washer and dryer installed at CW and will pick up on Monday. The grandkids sit at the table reading, watching movies, playing video games, etc and dogs are at their feet under the table. I'm sure you know that there are 3 seatbelts in the couch as well.

The ride is very smooth compared to our '14 Class C. DH enjoys driving it and loves the 6 speed transmission. Very comfortable captain's chairs and lots of legroom.

We love so many things about it, including the huge windshield. A few issues, but Thor is good to work with. Good Luck with your decision.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
You may want to look at the Tiffin allegro 36la. Its got 1 1/2 baths, king size bed available and most of the other items you listed. You will find it has good quality materials, and Tiffin warranty is second to none.
That was on my list to check out, I've looked at their web site but haven't seen one in person yet.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot_ View Post
That was on my list to check out, I've looked at their web site but haven't seen one in person yet.
Same layout as the 35K. 2 problems though. Price and shower size. I couldn't negotiate a price that was in my budget on that unit. My price range was in line with yours. The shower is the standard neo angle shower. The 35K is bigger.
I also liked the Bounder W/D location vs the Allegro. The Allegro is under the counter vs the Bounder at waist level (I have bad knees and a bad back so don't like kneeling/bending over if I can avoid it.
To OP. Did you make that list of what's important to you????

Tags
class a, gas