Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
My 30ft. Fleetwood (workhorse chassis,coil springs) with $ 2,800 worth of steering enhancements by 1st. owner, was marginal in crosswinds, ect.

My 30ft. 2002 Itasca that I just bought, (Ford chassis, leaf spring) handles better and has no steering enhancements. IT has the original Ford shocks (that are most likely shot).

Go figure. Perhaps the Ford chassis is better. It is for me. Best wishes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
Which Class A handles the best, or at least can be controlled in strong crosswinds?
We haven't had any handling problems with any of our tag axle Monacos on the RoadMaster 10 airbag and shock chassis.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
Easy, the one with the tag axle.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as smug or condascending or any of that stuff. Tag part is true though; I've worked my way up through 5 coaches so have personal experience with winds in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arizona, and, maybe worst of all, I90 along southern shore of Lake Erie in late Fall. High quality tires with minimal sidewall size, good new shocks (Bilstiens for me), diesel pusher with lowest center of gravity for engine / drivetrain and hydraulic steering, lowest possible rear overhang (behind drive wheels). Give this setup an all wheel alignment at a reputable facility and you've done your best to control what sometimes feels like a sailboat out there? Oh yeah, get a tag axle while you're at it.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt

So, the beast will be replaced. Which Class A handles the best, or at least can be controlled in strong crosswinds?
Wide open question with many variables, however the short answer would one with the obvious tag axle. Then the one with a strong anti-sway bar system.

Can't help at all with DPs, but the Ford F53 comes with anti-sway bars. They were mfgd with 2 holes for the links. Moving the links closer to the bar greatly decreases leverage, which in turn greatly increases anti sway/roll. 100's of F53 owners have done this mod and all very happy.

My first was trip was 1500 mi to Fl. I drove 60mph and up to 75mph. Passed by trucks, and passed trucks and hit about 300 mi of 34-40mph cross winds. Drove one handed 95% of the time.

Disregard all this unless you want a gasser
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #19

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Bounder with the workhorse chassis and wind seems to be no prob. I do recommend that you distribute your loads in the storage compartments. It makes a difference. Something to consider.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I appreciate all of the tips. I guess I should have added that I have the weight distributed as best as possible with the storage bay configuration on this coach. I also have set the tire pressures very carefully. I have not had the front end alignment checked because the coach handles so well when there is no wind or crosswinds are less than 15 mph.

I am an engineer and should have known better when I bought this coach. The aerodynamics of most coaches are not good. Older Nationals are worse. The shape of the lower body allows crosswinds to get under the coach, which will lighter the steering in cross winds. The only way to control the coach is slow down. The coaches that are easier to drive in crosswinds have a flat side with a sharp edge which extends lower than ours. This will form a low pressure under the coach that will help hold it down as well as not allow the crosswind to get under the coach. A front air dam will also help. Fuel mileage may suffer a bit, but the handling should be better.

It appears to me that Tiffens, Alpine Coaches, and Dutch Stars would be much better in crosswinds. I had an Alpine Coach parked next to us last week and the owner told me he had no problems at 70 mph in any crosswind. I cannot drive over 55 if crosswinds are much more than 15 mph. We are at a rally of National owners this week, all of them have the same problem.
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
One of the reasons salt comes in such small grains is 'cause you need allot of them when listening to some folks. There ain't no coach goin' down the road at 70 mph that is not affected by sidewinds, no way, not even a heavy tag like ours. It's better in some coaches than others but don't be thinkin' (or believin') that you can get up and go pee in a crosswind and come back to the chair and still be "between the lines". (moderator edit)

Tire pressure is key to the other of my mentionables as is fluids ... often times a full tank of fuel and a full tank of fresh water can have a dramatic impact on stability, even in cross winds ... but not at 70 mph. Oh yeah, there's still that tag thing to think about.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our 40' Spartan chassis handles as well or better in crosswinds than most vans I have owned ...nothing added /changed since we bought it new. Weight is part of it, tire pressure, alignment, shocks, wheelbase, tightness of steering, sway bars, etc all play a part.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #23

This could go on for ever. Just to many opinions, and most are correct.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #24

The most accurate answer came from Mr D.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #25

Charlie,

What chassis does your Tradewinds have? If its a Ford, you might try the 'cheap handling fix' detailed in the Ford Chassis Forum. I added a Steer-Safe to the front and Ultra-Trac to the back of mine; both expensive mods helped quite a bit, but the 'cheap handling fix' really did the trick. This might save you from the expense of new coach.

Keith
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #26

You need a system like my 13 Ford Explorer. Sees the lines and keeps you in them, turning the wheel to accomplish it

Got to love Ford's electronics...

Between air bag seatbelt and HUD. love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
I have a 2000 Tradewinds. I have only one complaint - it is almost impossible to handle in strong crosswinds. I had a steering stabilizer installed which helped a lot, but did not correct the problem. I still cannot drive much more than 50 - 55 mph,, but 55 is pushing it. I'll be struggling along and get passed by other Class As.

So, the beast will be replaced. Which Class A handles the best, or at least can be controlled in strong crosswinds?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #27

Basic dynamic analysis suggests that the rigs with the wheels nearest to the corners will be less affected by crosswinds than those with long tail overhangs. I'm amazed at the amount of tail hanging out behind the back wheels of some of the 30' Class C's. We looked seriously at a 31' Forester, until I figured out the body length/wheelbase number.

Now have a 32-foot Class A on the 22,000 pound rated F-53 chassis and crosswinds under about 40 knots don't seem to affect it much, and we've driven in 60 mph winds in the Columbia Gorge. There's only about 5 feet of box (15% of the total length) aft of the rear wheels, so any yawing moment due to wind is manageable.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Basic dynamic analysis suggests that the rigs with the wheels nearest to the corners will be less affected by crosswinds than those with long tail overhangs. I'm amazed at the amount of tail hanging out behind the back wheels of some of the 30' Class C's. We looked seriously at a 31' Forester, until I figured out the body length/wheelbase number.

Now have a 32-foot Class A on the 22,000 pound rated F-53 chassis and crosswinds under about 40 knots don't seem to affect it much, and we've driven in 60 mph winds in the Columbia Gorge. There's only about 5 feet of box (15% of the total length) aft of the rear wheels, so any yawing moment due to wind is manageable.
Frank, my hat is off to you if you can handle a motorhome in 46 mph winds and not notice much of an affect and also drive in 60 mph winds for short periods of time. I don't think I could do it in mine (probably will never find out either) without taking somebody in the next lane out. I usually feel pretty good in winds up to 25 with 42' and a tag but 45-60 is out of my league.

On another note, here is a link regarding truck driver training and winds.
Truck driver training and wind effect | AskTheTrucker