Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Which Class A is right for us?

We've been very happy with our 24' 2002 Winnebago Miinnie, traveling 3 months in it each summer for 4 years. We'd like to go full time for a year or two, so we are looking at Class A's. We want something that provides good quality and good value, preferably something gently used. Budget $50-$100K if at all possible.

I've got lots of questions, but I'll wait to see what response I get first and come back to you. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:49 PM   #2

I saw your post on slides, the length and number of slides in your future Class A will depend on your preferences , for layout and space.
Check out as many RV sales lots as you can, and when you find a floor plan that works for you ; then start looking for that floor plan in a coach in your price range.
The big thing to look for is cargo space for full timing, when you find the space then check the units CCC ( Cargo Carrying Capacity ) for full timing , I'd thing you should be looking in the range of 4,000 lbs.+, of CCC.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get as many opinions as you get posters on this subject. My opinion is you should go to a few dealerships and just walk around and see what is available to you in your price range. When you see some different brands and floor plans you might have a better idea of what you want or what fits your needs best. As Skip426 noted storage space is important. Think of all the things you really will need/want to bring and keep that in mind as you view both interior and exterior space.

As you narrow down your search, then come here and ask specific questions. It really is difficult to make a recommendation at this point as we all have different needs, desires and likes. There are those who swear by specific brands. Some prefer gasses versus diesels. One slide versus three. Once you see some and envision how they will impact your life style, you'll be way ahead in the searching process.

Good luck in your quest and by all means keep asking questions. Google is your friend,

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

We are fulltime. 3 years going on many years.
A DP was our final choice for all of the right reasons, and no regrets. But we spent some coins by floundering.
I suggest that compromising on the RV with the benefits that makes this lifestyle so very precious, comfortable and rewarding is either "once n dun" or "we ain't dun yet".
The expense "comes out in the wash".
Best wishes and Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

We went full time in 2011. Our two top wants were large storage capacity, and large carrying capacity. We attend Jeep events, so we carry many heavy items. As said you must determine exactly what your needs and wants are, then make your decision from there. And in the end we must all do what our budget allows, while keeping money back for repairs, etc. Good luck with your decision.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

OP, look at as many MH's as you can, but also spend time at RV parks. Look around and talk to those that are either full timers or that spend a lot of time in their MH's. What looks good in a show room, may not be that great when you get into the 'real world'. Also there are some very good deals out there, it may just take some time to find them. We look for over 7 months to find and work out the deal on our current MH. As has already been stated 'ask a lot of question'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Maybe look at dealers but certainly don't buy there, unless you want to spend a lot more than what you would buying from a private party.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Maybe look at dealers but certainly don't buy there, unless you want to spend a lot more than what you would spend buying from a private party.
X2 !!!

Plus most dealers are not overly interested in service. Long waits and steep bills.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You need to make a list of Wants & Needs and remember that they are 2 very different things. Once you know what your needs are that will help define what type of rig you need.

How much travel will you be doing? If the answer is lots and lots they you may need a diesel. If you plan to just "snow bird" and park for most of your time then a gasser will allow you to get more of your wants & needs into your budget.

write down everything you can think of and then go back and assign a "want" or "need" next to it.

Example:
King bed = want
Residential fridge = need
bath & 1/2 = need
washer/dryer = need
dishwasher = want
outdoor entertainment center = want
Big kitchen = want
L shaped couch = need
10 gal water heater - want
Solar panels = want
2000W inverter = need

and so on. The list above is just an example and is not intended to be an actual list of W&N.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #10

FWIW in your price range you can get a mid sized gas that is relatively new. IF you are really thinking a year or two then you will not need as much storage or as much of a life dispersal as you have the option of putting stuff in storage or making some kind of house sitter arrangement. There is a significant difference between going full time and a very long vacation. On the other side a trip like that will answer a lot of questions about what you want in your life to be content. Maybe it is new roads to run with a minimalist life style and maybe it's more room than runs on wheels and a stable location. You won't know until you try.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyCothran View Post
We've been very happy with our 24' 2002 Winnebago Miinnie, traveling 3 months in it each summer for 4 years. We'd like to go full time for a year or two, so we are looking at Class A's. We want something that provides good quality and good value, preferably something gently used. Budget $50-$100K if at all possible.

I've got lots of questions, but I'll wait to see what response I get first and come back to you. Thanks!
I think many of the above posts are valid. But, for full-timing, you may be a bit short on your $ amount. Many folks are happy with their gassers but those of us with DP's just won't go any other way. And so the $ amount is a bit tight for you unless you buy an older unit.

Take a look at manufacture websites, in the archives, at model year floor plans and features. This will give you a good place to start looking and will give you some education. Then consider what many of us find a must for full-timing.

I have been on the road for just short of 10 years. I have always had a DP. This last rig has a stacked washer/dryer, residential refrigerator, great storage areas in the coach and in the basement, very comfortable seating, bright but comfortable interior colors, on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins engine and Alison transmission, Magnum pure sine wave inverter, 6 AGM batteries, and many more features, most of which were sought after when we bought. I can not afford new so we searched for almost 2 years before we found this coach. We did all of our dealing over the phone and through email. Once the deal was struck we drove 1200 miles from TX to FL to trade our old coach.

You are the only folks who can decide what is important to you and what you are willing to live without. I hope your journey to your journey carrier will be a fun adventure that leads to many more fun adventures.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a