Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I think you guys are convincing me to go with the longer 36 footer. My wife will be happy with that move.
I'm going to finance about half of the cost. With the long term financing available (84 or 120 months) my payments will be low enough to leave a good chunk of my retirement income for repairs, gas, insurance, etc.

From what others have said, it costs a lot to make a purchase mistake and have to trade one in for another, so I'm trying to get all the advice I can now.

My criteria (in order of importance):
1) Floor plan and size that is best for us (mainly what wife likes).
2) Quality of build (manufacturer's reputation and reliability)
3) Cost to purchase
4) Ride and Handling
5) Diesel
6) Not so big that I can't drive it (safely and comfortably) on roads like the "Blue Ridge Parkway"
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #16

The reason so few Newmars are on RV Trader is they are well built and last a long time.

The best handling rig is one with Comfort Drive.
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a link to a 2011 Journey Express 34Y on RV Trader: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-34Y-122857614

We bought our 2011 34Y almost 2 years ago and simply love it. 35', 340 HP Cummins, awesome floor plan, drives great. I don't know much about the unit in the link, but it looks nicer than ours - has a washer/dryer and a Winegard antenna. Ours has a full booth, this one has the table and pop up TV.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
The reason so few Newmars are on RV Trader is they are well built and last a long time.

The best handling rig is one with Comfort Drive.
Recently upgraded from a Wbgo Adventurer gasser to a 34 newmar Ventana.
I read about shorter DP having handling issues but during the 800 mi trip home and another shorter trip I am more than satisfied w/ the 34 FL chassis w/ Comfort Drive...it is a pleasure to drive even in moderate cross winds and semi traffic.
I feel lucky we found a 2013 Ventana private sale and priced reasonably.
They are out there - just need to keep looking - be ready to act when they come up - willing to travel for the right deal is a plus

Good Luck w/ the search
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar makes a 33' DP, the New Aire, just came out this year. They start at about $300,000.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #20

Which Class A MHs handle the best - and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Recently upgraded from a Wbgo Adventurer gasser to a 34 newmar Ventana.

I read about shorter DP having handling issues but during the 800 mi trip home and another shorter trip I am more than satisfied w/ the 34 FL chassis w/ Comfort Drive...it is a pleasure to drive even in moderate cross winds and semi traffic.

I feel lucky we found a 2013 Ventana private sale and priced reasonably.

They are out there - just need to keep looking - be ready to act when they come up - willing to travel for the right deal is a plus

Good Luck w/ the search

Have you rumbled down some busted up roads like I-80? A true test has nothing to do with handling, it is the overall ride quality that matters most.
To the OP, don't be afraid to test drive a good used tag rig. My 43 is more maneuverable and better riding than my 32 diesel could have dreamed of!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Have you rumbled down some busted up roads like I-80? A true test has nothing to do with handling, it is the overall ride quality that matters most.
To the OP, don't be afraid to test drive a good used tag rig. My 43 is more maneuverable and better riding than my 32 could have dreamed of!
I'll second that. My 45 footer with tag is worlds better than my 40 foot non-tag was. If you want the best riding and best handling coach go for longer, heavier, and a tag. A 36 foot coach may ride and handle nicely compared to its peers, but no way will it compare to a 40+ with a tag.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks for the great replies and info.

We are most interested now in the Tiffin Allegro RED (33AA).
and like the Winnebago Forza 36G. I hear Newmar is very good too but not seeing any of those on RV Trader in my price range.

From my research, I want a diesel (340HP) with Exhaust brake and Allison transmission.

Price range is $100K (maybe $120 max).
Wow, that is a nice budget, you're going to find an awesome coach. My budget was half of yours, so I searched for over a year and found a well loved Winnebago 32T, perfect floor plan for us and the length was a big factor. We wanted to be able to get into more of the state parks that have length restrictions and so far I have fit everywhere, I have even lied about the length of my coach and never had a problem (yet).

I put 20k into upgrades, tires, windshields, radio/nav/upgraded tv's, New batteries, TPMS etc. It adds up fast.

As for the ride, I used to drive overloaded box trucks doing deliveries right out of high school, this rides like a dream compared to that. And it really is maneuverable in town, rolls nicely down the road. And the power band on a diesel is incredible, even my 5.9 at 275 horse climbs the grades with ease.

As someone else mentioned be sure to set aside some of the purchase money for your own upgrades and get it exactly how you want it setup, and don't forget the other things, like the cost to setup a toad etc.

Good luck, I am sure you are going to find a really nice coach that will tick all the boxes, just be patient.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #23

Ok, I have a 27 foot Newmar and absolutely no desire to have a diesel so I'll give you my two cents worth. The best handling MH is the one with good weight distribution side to side, proper tire inflation, accurate front end alignment and a heavy enough GVWR for the house.
C92vette makes an excellent and offer overlooked point: keep the weight low. I always fill my water and LP tanks before departure. I can feel the difference on the outward trip full vs. the return with the water tank at 1/3 or less.
Less rear overhang is better than more. Experience also makes a difference. At first body roll feels like the steering is wandering. Once you get over constantly correcting the wheel my little 27 foot is fun to drive.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #24

I test drove several including the 33A. I drove a Newmar and loved it. Good luck and test drive several before you spend your hard earned cash. Go to a dealer and try several makes then look for used.
DtchStar4054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
What ever you do, DO NOT TEST DRIVE a Newmar with Comfort Drive!!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbradd View Post
Wow, that is a nice budget, you're going to find an awesome coach. My budget was half of yours, so I searched for over a year and found a well loved Winnebago 32T, perfect floor plan for us and the length was a big factor. We wanted to be able to get into more of the state parks that have length restrictions and so far I have fit everywhere, I have even lied about the length of my coach and never had a problem (yet).

I put 20k into upgrades, tires, windshields, radio/nav/upgraded tv's, New batteries, TPMS etc. It adds up fast.
Well, my budget was about half that a few months ago - but once wife (and, I'll confess, me too) sees the upper-end interiors and woodwork in a Tiffin, Newmar, etc., the budget starts to "creep".

Even with my budget I'm still looking at a five year old (or older) rig.

But I'm the one that wants the Diesel, the heavier GVWR, longer wheelbase, etc., (those things mean nothing to wife) so between our "wish lists" the budget keeps going up.

If I don't buy something soon, I'll go broke with the budget creep.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #27

There is a key point that no one has mentioned in this thread so far. Rear overhang.

As a general rule, the more coach there is BEHIND the rear axle, the worse the handling will be. You have to be careful in the 32 to 36-foot range. Many coaches of that size are built on a short wheelbase chassis. The interior living space is then achieved by making the rear overhang longer.

This is one of the key reasons why a diesel pusher typically handles better than a gasser of the same size. The rear overhang on a diesel is only long enough to fit the engine and transmission. The rear overhang on some gassers is much longer.

There is a way to check this using the coaches specs. Divide the wheelbase by the total length of the coach. As an example, our coach shapes up like this:

Total Length: 41' 6" or 498"
Wheelbase: 276"

276/498 = 55.4 or 55.4%.

Numbers higher than 52% typically yield a good-handling coach.

Numbers between 50 and 52% can go either way.

Numbers less than 50% are the lousy handling, "white knuckle" machines we often hear about.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #28

I would just drive as many different models, sizes and floor plans as possible. That can give you a idea of size and how to affects rid, how different brands motorhomes behave and also that it's not difficult going from a 36ft RV to a 45ft one, often times the larger coach is easier to drive especially going down the highway. Only negative is some camping areas you might be to large.

I have always assumed the reason there aren't as many Newmar, Nexus or one of numerous other brands for sale isn't because they are going to last 50 yrs vs 5yrs for the large companies. It's because they do not sell as many

I also always thought the reason DP's drive and behave better (for me handling is ability to go through a turn, emergency maneuver etc) is because the chassis itself and suspension is so superior. If a gas RV has a few extra feet back there the actual weight behind the rear axel is still a fraction of what a DP has.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a