Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Which cleaner to use?

Anyone suggest a safe product for getting the stuff off the below picture? It's not too bad as one day after a good few days' rain the MH was wet and I ran my fingers along it and it rubbed off. After we clean it I want to wax to get the shine showing (hopefully). Any suggestions of products? Where to buy them? Is washing this kind of motor home just like washing a car? I don't want to mess up the paint or anything. TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-895990679.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	43439   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1637374639.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	43440  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

That is just the chalk look coming off the roof with a little mildew. I use vinegar and water when that occurs. After the removal I use WAX AND BUFF IT OUT. WORKS FINE

Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #3

Just like a car. You could use dish washing soap, car washing soap, Simple Green, you name it as long as it doesn't scratch (don't use Ajax). Same for wax -- car wax.

I would highly recommend microfiber towels or real soft cotton cloth (harder to find). I get my microfiber towels at Costco or Sams Club. They're the bomb No scratching and they absorb very well. You can also launder them over and over. Best of luck.

Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Before you do a lot of work keep the sides wet to prevent more of it, and send a young person up on the roof to clean it very good and get rid of the stuff that came off in the first place. I use a 3M product that is for fiberglass boats rvs corvettes etc. Easy on easy off white bottle with blue label at napa...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Is your roof EPDM or fiberglass? It seems EPDM is always chalking and causing those streaks. NEVER use any product containing petroleum distillates on EPDM. If you do it can cause major problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guys I had black stuff coming from the rubber around the windshield, I used 303 Aerospace and stopped the black under the window.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Before you do a lot of work keep the sides wet to prevent more of it, and send a young person up on the roof to clean it very good and get rid of the stuff that came off in the first place. I use a 3M product that is for fiberglass boats rvs corvettes etc.
Hey Dupdyke , What is the name of the 3M product? Your message failed to completely download on my device;-(. Thanks