Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollo View Post
We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.

We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffin Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.

If you were to buy one now, what would you go with?

If you have recently purchased, in the last few years, such a rig, are you happy with the one you have, would you do it differently?

I could use all the guidance I can get here so please be open and blunt with your opinions, thoughts and guidance. I think we would like to stay in the 38 foot range or so. If you have thoughts on that please share. Share any thoughts you may have on the issue at all.

Thank you.
I would go with a Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian 34y/34B. We travel with the wife and I, two cats and sometimes the 14 year old granddaughter. We find that with the opposing slides that the size is just perfect for us and is surprisingly roomy.

I've watched people with the longer MH's having problems getting into RV sites and maneuvering through RV parks, gas stations and parking lots. I've seen them run over curbs, electrical boxes and scrape trees. The 34y/34B is very maneuverable and has all that we need.

I don't need to haul an extra bathroom or two couches for thousands of miles when they aren't needed. One bathroom and one couch is plenty for two people. The 34y/34B has the perfect floorplan with the TV that comes up out of the dining area credenza and is comfortably viewable from all the seating areas.

I had friends that bought a huge Beaver. They took a tour through our Itasca Sunova that we had just purchased and immediately traded in their Beaver on a new Itasca Meridian 40U. They loved the overall design, quality, floorplan of the 40U and were willing to put up with the size of the MH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollo View Post
We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.
We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffin Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.
Dollo;1991136
Are you aware that Itasca and Winnebago coaches are basically the same coach with different name plates?
For some opinions from other Itasca owners see: Satisfied Itasca/Winnebago owners
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2002 Fleetwood Bounder 39R with 110.000 miles on it. We never had any problems with the Cummins 330hp Turbo Diesel. Besides normal Filters and Oil changes we never needed an adjustments or service on the Engine or Allison Transmission. We are very happy with the Motorhome.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
heard lots of bad things about thor and berkshire

Problems with new 35.1
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #19

Be sure to check out Entegra Coach
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You cannot buy a new on-road vehicle with a Caterpillar engine now. That leaves Cummins, MB, and Detroit, as the main choices.
Believe these people are interested in "which diesel pusher would you suggest" not which "diesel engine"...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
heard lots of bad things about thor and berkshire
Really???? Most of us who own Berkshires are extremely pleased. The coach has been relatively problem free and both the dealer and the manufacturer have been excellent at resolving the few issues that have arisen.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
A diesel I would buy Would have mechanical injection and NOT a computer.
Cummins, or Cat makes no difference to me. I like them all.
Good luck with that this day and age. Jim
Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Believe these people are interested in "which diesel pusher would you suggest" not which "diesel engine"...
I was just thinking the same thing, I thought the question was what deisel engine not what Coach. Just don't buy a Max-Force deisel unless you want problems. Cummins or CAT both good. Jim
Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a little different perspective.

If you are buying a late model diesel pusher, start with floor plan first and work backwards from there. Livability is essential if we are going to enjoy our purchase. My fiancé and I made a short list of what we wanted in terms of layout.

1. Would you buy a house with a TV that's 8 feet high and requires you to sit sideways to see it? Thats the way motorhomes have been built for years. We thought there should be a living room setup like we have at home. Sofa or chairs facing a TV.
2. At 60+ years old, do you want to slide in and out of a booth to eat, or would you prefer a table and chair arrangement? We preferred to have chairs instead of a booth.
3. Do you prefer to have the toilet separate from the shower? Most homes have 2 bathrooms, some motorhomes do too but with one bathroom, we prefer they stay separate so there's some privacy.
4. Do you use a computer or files for work when you are traveling? We do and wanted a space where we can set up a small and simple work space and be comfortable. No, the booth doesn't work that way for me.
5. Do you care about having an outside TV? Odds are we'll be outside enjoying "outside" or inside enjoying TV but if you care about it, put it on your list. Same with a fireplace. If you like the look of a simulated fire, make sure your new coach offers that.
6. Many motorhomes have two facing sofas left and right when you enter the coach. We never understood what that was for unless you were hosting a big party or transporting a large group of people. For us it's just "us" and two facing sofas seemed like a waste of space.

That's how we started our search. We decided what we needed to be comfortable and then we surveyed which coaches could accommodate our needs. Admittedly there were few, but we found the coach we think is a perfect fit ... for us.

I wish you luck in your search, no matter how long it takes, enjoy the process and know when you are done you have what you want.

Mitch
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Really???? Most of us who own Berkshires are extremely pleased. The coach has been relatively problem free and both the dealer and the manufacturer have been excellent at resolving the few issues that have arisen.
Our story is the same! We love our Berk and Forest River is a 10 when it comes to taking care of their owners!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Jay my friend....

I'll put my Berkshire up against any rig of comparable costs and options.... Not one single moment of what I'd call serious trouble with it.... My fuel economy is fantastic and I find the workmanship to be super.... Factory reps have always been reachable and more than willing to answer any questions I might have.... No air bag issues, no sidewall leaks, etc...

Tags
diesel