Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Which diesel would you go with? Why?

We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.

We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffin Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.

If you were to buy one now, what would you go with?

If you have recently purchased, in the last few years, such a rig, are you happy with the one you have, would you do it differently?

I could use all the guidance I can get here so please be open and blunt with your opinions, thoughts and guidance. I think we would like to stay in the 38 foot range or so. If you have thoughts on that please share. Share any thoughts you may have on the issue at all.

Thank you.
Dollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

All the best on your search.

You mention some shopping - liking models of 4 different brands. Here at iRV2 there are Owners forums where you can get feedback from specific groups of owners...like:
Tiffin
Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum - iRV2 Forums
Forest River
Forest River Owners Forum - iRV2 Forums
Winnie and Itasca
Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums
Winnebago-Itasca Travelers Club (WIT) - iRV2 Forums
and Thor
Thor Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums

This might help you cut through much of the "Ford vs. Chevy" type comparisons that might happen in a general forum discussion.

Again, best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollo View Post
We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.

We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffin Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.

If you have recently purchased, in the last few years, such a rig, are you happy with the one you have, would you do it differently?

I could use all the guidance I can get here so please be open and blunt with your opinions, thoughts and guidance. I think we would like to stay in the 38 foot range or so. If you have thoughts on that please share. Share any thoughts you may have on the issue at all.

Thank you.
Dollo, we purchased a 2014 Winnebago 40 u late last yr got it out of storage sunday just in time for 8 inches of snow, have almost 5,000 miles on it, it has a 380 cummins for power, we pull a 24 ft trl with 2 full dresser bikes, golf cart and 2 kayaks, we love it, mts are no problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Newmar Ventana or the Ventana LE both have Comfort Steer
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A diesel I would buy Would have mechanical injection and NOT a computer.
Cummins, or Cat makes no difference to me. I like them all.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cummins has 2 big advantages over the Cat. #1 is better fuel mileage, #2 is ease of finding a shop to provide maintenance for them.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

I have a cat. Great engine If I where buying today I would still buy a cat but I would look for a rig that you don't have to ADD the new EPA fuel additive. Addition expenses with that. I have ran cats in boats for years.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I have the Mercedes Turbo diesel in my Berkshire and love it.... 10-14 mpg and plenty of torque for those mountain passes we like to visit....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am partial to Newmar and Tiffin products. I owned 2 Winnebago motorhomes and loved them both. With that being said, IMO Spartan chassis are the Caddillacs of RV Chassis'. Rugged well built and easily serviced. Cummins power has an edge over the Cat. They're both great engines. Newmar and Tiffin's customer service is by far the very best in the business and I feel you get the best bang for your buck, even if you buy used, which I reccommend, pre-2010 because of the smog restrictions (reason Catapillar quit building over the road engines in 2011) in particular the DEF injection system is an added cost. They are family owned and operated and build outstanding coaches and stand behind their products. Spartan Chassis customer service people are very good and are willing to help in anyway they can.

Craig Roberts 2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP3910 Spartan MM Chassis
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #10

You cannot buy a new on-road vehicle with a Caterpillar engine now. That leaves Cummins, MB, and Detroit, as the main choices.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollo View Post

Thank you.
Based on my research that I did when looking for a coach, I would go with the Itasca over the others you have mentioned. And based on your experience with the Itasca line you may be leaning that way also....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Don't limit yourself to 38'. There's really no difference in handling a 40 footer, and it will give you more options. I would also look at the Newmar line. And I agree with a previous poster that used is the way to go.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #13

Dollo, you have a couple of very informative forums that you can peruse to see the issues with some of the coaches you are looking at. The Tiffin RV Network Forum will tell you a lot about the Tiffins and the issues and how their service has resolved those issues. The Forest River Owners Group forum will give you what you want to know about the Berkshires. Both of those forums have some great folks who will answer your questions, however each will have their own bias. The forums can give you a very good idea of issues and their resolutions. At that point you would need to determine what issues you can live with and which ones you can't.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #14

As a service tech at a large dealership back in the 70's & 80's & early 90's, I learned to appreciate the way a Holiday Rambler is built (over many/most other manf's.). Now retired, that was where I went first, and ended up, after looking at MANY different coaches figuring out what I was going to do.

The HR Endeavor series, on a bucks spent for bang received basis, is one of the better buys available. If you have any interest in what's going on between the walls, I would encourage you to at least have a look, even if you decide on something else.

Tags
diesel