Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #1

Looking to upgrade to a better dish setup and purchase a dome. Since we don't watch it when we drive, I assume I only need a stationary model....is this the case? I also want to be able to auto-find the satellites, watch local channels and extended package (ESPN, Disney, etc). Anyone have an opinion on which one to buy? Thanks!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

Looking to upgrade to a better dish setup and purchase a dome. Since we don't watch it when we drive, I assume I only need a stationary model....is this the case? I also want to be able to auto-find the satellites, watch local channels and extended package (ESPN, Disney, etc). Anyone have an opinion on which one to buy? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #3

well, since you will not watch or listen to satellite radio while driving through the dome, the stationary one is what you want there. As for the auto aquisition of satellites, make sure the mode is DVB.
As for a maker, KVH, King Dome and Winegard make stationary and in-motion domes.
I have been struggling with the manufacturer also. I looked at the installation diagrams for each maker's in-motion domes and they all 3 have the same connections. 1 control and 2 RG-6 connections at the dome.
KVH is a little more expensive than the other two. Check their websites as I think KVH had a rebate.
Unfortunately, the one thing I do not know but have heard is that the low profile domes do not perform as well as the full height ones. Hopefully, someone can chime in on that.
Hope this helps a little.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have subscribe to Directv, and purchased and installed a Winegard stationary dome on my Allegro. Finding and locking on to the satellite takes about two minutes on average. It acquires primary, and backup satellites. I have expierienced some signal interference in moderate rain. I have not tried any treatments to dome to help with this problem. Installation was fairly easy. Hardest part for me was how to hide and route entry coax and power lead to dome. Same dome works with Dish Network by setting Dip switches under dome to different positions. I bought mine at Camping World, (was on sale), entire set up less than $1000. I had my own receiver. Very happy with results. I am not sure, but do not believe you will be able to get local stations with portable dome. Also good idea not to get rid of your tripod mount dish, as the dome will not work under trees, or nest to buildings etc that block signal path from southern sky

Dieselclacker
Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
jasonm

I'm curious as to why you want a dome (rather than a standard automatic dish antenna) if you don't want to watch TV will moving??
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #6

I guess I'm somewhat of a purest. It's nice to have the antenna in a weather proofed dome, but the tradeoff's are that the reflector is quite a bit smaller than the 18" open frame antenna, and consequently lacks the gain of the larger reflector (I forget the exact numbers). Also fiberglassed dome antennas tend to lose the satellite due to moisture forming on the dome. Supposedly there is a coating to prevent this but you're still dealing with a lower gain antenna. Living up there in the north country, IMO, I would want all the gain I could get.

Edit: spelling

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #7

AFChap,

You mentioned an "automatic dish antenna"...

I'm unfamiliar with them; are they like my roof mounted Winnegard, only they lock on automatically? I need one with dual LNB, and my current Winnegard only has a single LNB. That's really the only reason I thought of getting a dome.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
jfb

We bought the KingDome semi-automatic because the Winegard flopped around in the wind, losing the signal. It also gives a much cleaner look to the coach. It works fine with DISH and has no rain fade except when a bad weather cell passes by....
Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are they like my roof mounted Winnegard, only they lock on automatically? I need one with dual LNB, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jasonm

Exactly! My coach came with an automatic single LNB Winnegard that never really worked right. I replaced it in April 2006 with a MotoSat MD-500. It is a dual LNB dish, set up for Dish 500 service. I push a button, and normally in less than one minute it has found the right azimuth, elevation and skew and locked onto both satellites with much stronger signals than I ever accomplished with the portable dish. The dish is mounted much more securely to the roof than the Winnegard dish was, and does not flop around in the wind. If you don't have Dish 500 service, they have other models. At the time I bought mine, MotoSat was the only mfg who had a rooftop dish that could skew as required for the Dish 500 dual LNB service.

I bought mine at a military RV rally. His installed price was less than I found from other vendors. You can find MotoSat at www.motosat.com. The guy I got mine from was Don Ellis. His website is www.precisesatellite.com. We have been very satisfied with the dish. We have had to use the portable Dish 500 antenna only once in the past year when we were parked under heavy trees that the rooftop dish could not penetrate.

I have no relationship with him other than buying my dish from him -- have not seen or heard from him since.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #10

Thanks, Paul! Just what I am looking for. I'll give Mr. Ellis a call!

Jason

Old 06-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #11

We have the King Controls dome inmotion. We haven't lost signal unless it is raining really hard. I also put "rain fade" sprayon the dish to prevent loss of signal. I use to have the automotic King controls dome and it also worked great. If wayup north you have towait a while to capture signal. Teh purchase of the inmotion was really for my Dad who travels with us sometimes.He likes his TV!!! LOL
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #12

Last October, while attending a Newmar rally in VT we signed up for DirecTV and had a King Dome installed. All I can say is that I love it.

When we get to where we're going I just turn on the main cabin receiver (there's another receiver in the bedroom), turn on the TV to channel 3 and push a button. Within seconds I'm watching TV!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #13

Digital Boy, I am considering doing the exact same installation, but I have a question. How did they install the KingDome? By that I mean did they run the cables on top of and across the roof to the front and then go tru the cap to gain access to the TV, electronics etc ? I have been told that this is how they intall them on older rv's.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
flyfisher, Check out Camping World for a good deal on King Dome, and installation. I got a flyer from them in the mail today, Package includes King Dome automatic stationary antenna, a Direct TV HD receiver , and installation all for $999.00.

Dieselclacker