Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Which F53 chassis extension would you choose...?

... to support a lot of weight in the back. I'm thinking hot tub! Well, no, not really. But I'm thinking the full 500 pounds of tongue weight with a motorcycle and carrier, not a trailer. The pictures attached show two different frame rail extensions. The first one is a 22K F53 chassis with a full butt weld with plates welded on each side. This one also has a cross member welded between the two welded on extensions prior to the receiver. The other is a 24K F53 chassis with what I call a partial butt weld as the c-channel attached is larger than the f53 frame rails. This one has one plate welded on and a box section of material joining the two bottom edges of each c channel. This one doesn't have a welded on cross member prior to the class iv receiver. I'm not going to identify the two coaches, but they are current 2016 models.

I'm no judge of what's good, what's better and hope to get educated by the IRV2 membership!

Thanks,
DF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	133380   Click image for larger version

Name:	I2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	133381  

Name:	I3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	133382   Click image for larger version

Name:	J1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	133383  

Name:	J2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	133384   Click image for larger version

Name:	J3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	133385  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you weighed the RV to see if you have that much load capacity available? Adding extensions to frame extensions, with the usual long overhang of the front engine chassis is really going to stress whatever you put 8' or more behind the rear axle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Which f53 chassis extension would you choose...

How much are you adding to the overhang? What's the final overhang distance? Will the front wheels remain on the ground? If you end up with a 12 ft overhang that will put 6000 ft/Lb onto the rear axle, without even considering G-forces from bumpy or uneven roads. Why?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would not hang a 500# motorcycle plus the lieft or mount on the back of a gasa powered motorhome chassis.

Think of a see-saw. You hand 500# on one end and it unloads the other ens.

Going light on the steer tires is not a pleasant thing to drive.

Ken
Old 07-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They make trailers just for that reason.
Why don't you look into a front carry for the motorcycle. You may have enough leftover weight on the front axle to support it.

There are also Tow haulers out there that you can just put your motorcycle into. Thor Outlaw Class A; Newmar Canyon Star and maybe a few others.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't seen a gasser with a lift on it for that reason. I seriously doubt it can carry the load properly and within limits
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Thank you

I appreciate everyone's perspective on how to bring my motorcycle with me or the things to consider when using a carrier. There are various reasons why I'm considering using a carrier instead of a trailer. First and foremost, after buying the motorhome (still choosing), I would then have to buy a trailer. Then find a place to store the RV and trailer. I'm not fortunate enough to own a home with RV parking. Also, a toy hauler is not an option as most of my trips will be with toad, not motorcycle. I've got to keep the DW happy.

I'm also NOT planning on using a lift, those weigh a ton (figuratively speaking).

I promise everyone I'll get the unit weighed, make sure there's enough capacity, and not drive it if there's less than Ford's recommended front axle load percentage or if I have overloaded either axle or the GVWR.

I get the feeling that some of you may not consider putting 500 lbs of tongue weight into the receiver, regardless of its source, to be a reasonable thing to do. Does it matter if it's 500 lbs of trailer tongue weight or 500 pounds of motorcycle + carrier? Doesn't it result in nearly the same rear axle loading? Doesn't adding weight in front of the rear axle offset some of the weight behind the axle? Full water vs. 10% water, for example? FWIW, the center line of the motorcycle would be approximately 20" from the receiver. And one of the the coaches I'm considering has a whopping 4500 lbs of OCCC so I may have some wiggle room.

What I'm really interested in is an assessment of the chassis extensions used by the two manufacturers of the motorhomes I'm considering. Do you believe one or the other would better handle 500 lbs of tongue weight, regardless of the source of the weight?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I really don't have an opinion on the frame extensions, what are the receiver ratings for both RVs? If the receiver is rated for 500 pounds, factor in the weight of the platform and motorcycle, and remember it will be bouncing at the end of the lever, with the fulcrum being the rear axle. The actual forces of that weight so far back from the fulcrum is what you have to worry about.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go to pirate4x4.com and ask ... All they do is custom fab work.. Probably get some good educated opinions.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgersFan View Post
I appreciate everyone's perspective on how to bring my motorcycle with me or the things to consider when using a carrier. There are various reasons why I'm considering using a carrier instead of a trailer. First and foremost, after buying the motorhome (still choosing), I would then have to buy a trailer. Then find a place to store the RV and trailer. I'm not fortunate enough to own a home with RV parking. Also, a toy hauler is not an option as most of my trips will be with toad, not motorcycle. I've got to keep the DW happy.

I'm also NOT planning on using a lift, those weigh a ton (figuratively speaking).

I promise everyone I'll get the unit weighed, make sure there's enough capacity, and not drive it if there's less than Ford's recommended front axle load percentage or if I have overloaded either axle or the GVWR.

I get the feeling that some of you may not consider putting 500 lbs of tongue weight into the receiver, regardless of its source, to be a reasonable thing to do. Does it matter if it's 500 lbs of trailer tongue weight or 500 pounds of motorcycle + carrier? Doesn't it result in nearly the same rear axle loading? Doesn't adding weight in front of the rear axle offset some of the weight behind the axle? Full water vs. 10% water, for example? FWIW, the center line of the motorcycle would be approximately 20" from the receiver. And one of the the coaches I'm considering has a whopping 4500 lbs of OCCC so I may have some wiggle room.

What I'm really interested in is an assessment of the chassis extensions used by the two manufacturers of the motorhomes I'm considering. Do you believe one or the other would better handle 500 lbs of tongue weight, regardless of the source of the weight?
I did this with my P30 Adventurer, welded up some support steel to the frame and made a rack to carry my KTM and my sons small Honda. Rack and 2 bikes probably weighed close to 500lbs, never weighed it but I had air bag suspension and just put in some air and it never affected the way it drove. I also had a tongue extension so I could pull my Jeep with the bikes on the back, always worked great. Most likely way over weight limit but it did not feel like it. That coach had far worse issues like brakes to worry about other than my bike carrier.

Tags
chassis, f53